Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is there anyone here that doesnt want Playoff games to be played on Campus?

Travel Squad

Quote Originally Posted by OmaHusker View Post
    I'm not a probability expert, but intuitively this doesn't seem correct. Increasing the number of teams would introduce a higher probability of an upset and if a #4 beat a #1 in the first round your chances of a true champ is further reduced.
    I don't believe in upsets when a team that has had a great enough season to qualify for a playoff that includes only a small percentage of all teams beats another team ON THE FIELD. No upset when you do it on the field in such a playoff. That is the purpose of a playoff: to let the teams determine who is best ON THE FIELD (especially in college football, where there is no effective way to determine which single team is best from among teams from different conferences and different parts of the country, with very few, if any, common opponents).
    "Those mothers would rather see the country go down in flames than let the times change."

-- Samuel L. Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    I don't believe in upsets when a team that has had a great enough season to qualify for a limited number of teams playoff beats another team ON THE FIELD. No upset when you do it on the field.
    I think it's generally accepted the 2008 Super Bowl was an upset.

Travel Squad

Ask the players.
    "Those mothers would rather see the country go down in flames than let the times change."

-- Samuel L. Jackson

Travel Squad

NFL is completely different from the NCAA in this regard. All NFL teams during the regular season have numerous common opponents, so it is fairly easy to determine who should be considered a favored team in head to head late in the year. In college ball there is no effective way to determine which single team is best from among teams from different conferences and different parts of the country, with very few, if any, common opponents, other than determining it on the field. It is a simple matter of percentages. About one third (33%), or more, of NFL teams make the playoffs. In college, even if 8 teams were in a playoff, that would only constitute 1/15 or 6.66% of all teams. The deeper into the field you go to get a match-up, the greater the chance that a win by one side could be argued to be an upset.

-- Samuel L. Jackson

Cake or Death?
    The quoted article in the OP is very wrong in one detail. It says that if the semifinals are in a home team's stadium, the visiting team should get 20% of the tickets. That is NEVER going to happen, nor should it. What football program is going to want to have to decide what 20% of its season ticket holders are going to have their seats yanked for the national semifinal game (or maybe 15% of its season ticket holders when you factor in the seats that are held for visitors for regular season games)????

I remember several years ago talking with a former athletic director of a Big 12 institution who is an old friend about my desire to see playoffs in college football and why he had been known to be against it. He had lots of logistical problems that he could identify that most of the rest of us never could think of because we are not in his line of work. One of his points was this very issue of tickets and space in the stadium. He said how there will be so many tickets and media space and stadium suites requested/demanded by NCAA officials and visiting school officials and media bigwigs, etc., that it would be a nightmare for the home teams, especially if there were an eight team playoff that had the first round at home sites the first week after the end of the regular season. He thought there was no way an institution could prepare for such an onslaught with only one week's notice. I'm not saying I agree with him on all his points (for example, the Pac 12 CCG is held the week after the end of the regular season at the home stadium of the higher ranked division winner; granted, it is only a regional game, not a national quarter- or semi-final, but the Pac 12 believes they can do it, even if the home site is not determined until the last day of the regular season (which was not the case last year)). Making the home team find a way to give 20% of its tickets to the visiting team, as suggested in the OP, is a virtual impossibility and a PR nightmare that no school would be willing to do to its season ticket holders.
    I agree, the part of earning a home seed means your fans enjoy, not have to give up their seats. Disagree with the one weeks notice thing, teams that are good enough will have a whole year to prepare for the possibility of hosting a semi or quarter game.

"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence." -Carl Sagan

"Guns don't kill people, people kill people, and monkeys do too (if they have a gun)" - Eddie Izzard

Travel Squad

Quote Originally Posted by The Impaler View Post
    Disagree with the one weeks notice thing, teams that are good enough will have a whole year to prepare for the possibility of hosting a semi or quarter game.
    I see your point and it is correct in many aspects of the pre-game planning - such as how tickets will be allocated, where visiting "dignitaries" will be planted in the stadium, etc. But some aspects of hosting an onslaught of people into a small college town require expenditure of assets to begin preparation far in advance of one week. Asking hotels to keep rooms available that they might otherwise would have been able to book, asking catering services to not fully book that weekend so as to leave open enough personnel and other assets for that weekend in case there is a game, etc.

As I said above, that discussion with the A.D. opened my eyes to a gaggle of complexities that arise with regard to hosting a game that I would have never been able to come up with myself. I bet a dollar to a donut that those type of issues are what is causing the conferences and the NCAA/BCS to not be able to come to a conclusion about whether to host the playoff games on campus. In a vacuum it seems like a great idea to us college football lovers, but to the people who have to actually make it happen the view is much much different and more complicated.

-- Samuel L. Jackson

Cake or Death?
    I see your point and it is correct in many aspects of the pre-game planning - such as how tickets will be allocated, where visiting "dignitaries" will be planted in the stadium, etc. But some aspects of hosting an onslaught of people into a small college town require expenditure of assets to begin preparation far in advance of one week. Asking hotels to keep rooms available that might otherwise would have been able to book if there ends up being no game, asking catering services to leave open enough personnel and other assets for that weekend in case there is a game, etc.
    I see that point, but I also see the point that in a small college town a week or two into December hotels and caterers may welcome the business as I would guess that may be a rather slow time for both.

"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence." -Carl Sagan

"Guns don't kill people, people kill people, and monkeys do too (if they have a gun)" - Eddie Izzard

All American
    Can you imagine an SEC team traveling to boise or ann arbor in Dec? Dont think its going to happen
    What one person receives without working for, another person must work for
    without receiving.

I don't really buy the argument that schools won't have enough time to deal with hosting a game. These are multi-million dollar organizations. They can get it figured out. Also, I'm guessing school's would set up a post-season game, much like other sports, and other leagues do. They'll offer season ticket holders the chance to purchase their tickets (at an inflated price obviously), and after a certain point, those tickets not purchased will go on sale to the general public. I really don't see why that's so diffucult.

Plus, we're talking about 2 teams (in a 4-team playoff), or 4 teams (in an 8-team playoff) that will have to worry about this. It's highly likely only 10 teams will be in a position to host a playoff game when entering the month of November, so there can be some advanced planning by these schools.

In the end, D1 CFB would not be alone in the logistics of hosting a playoff game on such short notice. It'll take a couple of years to work out the bugs, but it shouldn't be a road block to a playoff system.

Red Shirt
    The quoted article in the OP is very wrong in one detail. It says that if the semifinals are in a home team's stadium, the visiting team should get 20% of the tickets. That is NEVER going to happen, nor should it. What football program is going to want to have to decide what 20% of its season ticket holders are going to have their seats yanked for the national semifinal game (or maybe 15% of its season ticket holders when you factor in the seats that are held for visitors for regular season games)????
    First of all, most teams dont sell out their entire stadium with season ticket packages. Nebraska is the exception, not the rule.

Second of all you are wrong. Anyone having to give up their season tickets for a playoff would be mad. But because some fans (mind on only in certain stadiums) would have to give up their season tickets for a playoff games doesnt mean we shouldnt have playoff games on campus.

Nebraska is given two choices:
    1. Go play in a semi-final game hosted in the south by some bowl game where they keep most of the profit.

or

2. Have to give up some of the season tickets but still make a boatload of money and have home field advantage (vs going to the south and being at a disadvantage).

I wouldnt be happy if I couldnt get my season tickets but it is much better for my Huskers if I don't. Plus, you can always buy other tickets. Since when have Nebraska fans worried about ticket cost buying second hand?

In summary: you are wrong and your argument is just another half attempt excuse.

Red Shirt
    Quote Originally Posted by Ackos View Post
    Can you imagine an SEC team traveling to boise or ann arbor in Dec? Dont think its going to happen
    ANY weather is football weather. I am so sick of the NFL playing outdoors in January but college football (especially the SEC but the B1G included) acting like we have to play in the south or indoors. I love snow games.

Travel Squad

Quote Originally Posted by Porkchopexpress View Post
    I don't really buy the argument that schools won't have enough time to deal with hosting a game. These are multi-million dollar organizations. They can get it figured out. Also, I'm guessing school's would set up a post-season game, much like other sports, and other leagues do. They'll offer season ticket holders the chance to purchase their tickets (at an inflated price obviously), and after a certain point, those tickets not purchased will go on sale to the general public. I really don't see why that's so diffucult.

Plus, we're talking about 2 teams (in a 4-team playoff), or 4 teams (in an 8-team playoff) that will have to worry about this. It's highly likely only 10 teams will be in a position to host a playoff game when entering the month of November, so there can be some advanced planning by these schools.

In the end, D1 CFB would not be alone in the logistics of hosting a playoff game on such short notice. It'll take a couple of years to work out the bugs, but it shouldn't be a road block to a playoff system.
    Selling tickets is a minute fraction of what is involved with preparing for a major college football game. And this would not be like just another college football regular season game. It is national semi-final; therefore, multiply the complexities by whatever positive integer you like.

-- Samuel L. Jackson

Selling tickets is a minute fraction of what is involved with preparing for a major college football game. And this would not be like just another college football regular season game. It is national semi-final; therefore, multiply the complexities by whatever positive integer you like.
    Ok. These are still multi-million dollar organizations, with loads and loads of emplyoees and resources. Sure, it'll be a sucky week for those employees, but again, it won't come as a shock for these schools. They'll have a pretty good idea if they'll have the chance to host a game in early November, so they can get some planning done ahead of time. I know people act upset when you compare CFB to the NFL, but the NFL seems to pull off the one week turnaround on playoffs pretty well. I don't see any reason why it would be a huge problem for 2 or 4 schools to handle, schools that are used to holding major sporting events.

Travel Squad

Quote Originally Posted by PimpMario View Post
    First of all, most teams dont sell out their entire stadium with season ticket packages. Nebraska is the exception, not the rule. Most of the teams regularly in contention for NC's certainly do.

Second of all you are wrong. Anyone having to give up their season tickets for a playoff would be mad. But because some fans (mind on only in certain stadiums) would have to give up their season tickets for a playoff games doesnt mean we shouldnt have playoff games on campus.

Nebraska is given two choices:
    1. Go play in a semi-final game hosted in the south by some bowl game where they keep most of the profit.

or

2. Have to give up some of the season tickets but still make a boatload of money and have home field advantage (vs going to the south and being at a disadvantage).

I wouldnt be happy if I couldnt get my season tickets but it is much better for my Huskers if I don't. Plus, you can always buy other tickets. Since when have Nebraska fans worried about ticket cost buying second hand?

In summary: you are wrong and your argument is just another half attempt excuse.
    I am not sure how you so egregiously misread my post. I only said that there is no way schools are going to want to give 20% of their stadium to visiting teams. I didn't say I don't think on campus games will work. I only said that forcing 20% of the season ticket holders to give up their playoff ticket rights to the visiting team is not a good idea and will not likely be accepted by the universities. Let the visitors have their usual 3,000 seats, or whatever is left over from that 3,000 after the NCAA takes its required seats. Displacing 20% of their season ticket base for a national semi-final game is probably a deal breaker for most institutions.

Also, you inexplicably misread my post to think that people would have to give up season tickets to give 20% of a single playoff game to visitors. No. Under that plan they would be required to not be allowed to purchase a single game ticket to the playoff game; not their season tickets.

-- Samuel L. Jackson

Travel Squad

Quote Originally Posted by Porkchopexpress View Post
    Ok. These are still multi-million dollar organizations, with loads and loads of emplyoees and resources. "Loads and loads of employees"?? Do you follow state university budget issues?

Sure, it'll be a sucky week for those employees, but again, it won't come as a shock for these schools. They'll have a pretty good idea if they'll have the chance to host a game in early November, so they can get some planning done ahead of time. I know people act upset when you compare CFB to the NFL, but the NFL seems to pull off the one week turnaround on playoffs pretty well. Most of the difference comes down to NFL franchises in big cities v. college teams in small towns, with fewer hotel rooms, smaller catering companies, smaller police departments, other events scheduled on their campuses, bare bones state-dictated budgets and personnel, etc.

I don't see any reason why it would be a huge problem for 2 or 4 schools to handle, schools that are used to holding major sporting events. You are correct; you don't. But hopefully you see a little better now.
    see above comments

The bottom line is that it is probably do-able, but it is much more complex than most people who believe that the university only has to print the tickets, think. And that will cause a lot of push back at the negotiation table on the issue of neutral site v. on-campus site.

-- Samuel L. Jackson