Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.

Thread: Death to the BCS Author's Playoff Take

Death to the BCS Author's Playoff Take

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaaf--...CTntjfftU5nYcB

I thought others might like to read this.
    DP

Junior Varsity
    The guy makes sense. In reading his # 3 point, my blood boils and reconfirms my desire to see bowls eliminated or drastically changed.

"3. If you must hate on-campus games, at least open this up to bid and not engage in the obvious cronyism of using only certain bowl sites. Bowl games stopped being useful decades ago. They may be fun, but the sport doesn't need bowls to promote it, like it did in the 1940s.

Today they are known for rampant profiteering – just this year each member of the LSU and Alabama band was charged $350 to just get into the game so they could perform for free. They've been hit with scandal, criminal indictments and IRS complaints. They've spent wildly on country club memberships, decadent parties and free-flowing expense accounts.

They pay their CEO three and four times (even more than $800,000 in a single year) the rate of similar sized non-profits."
    (old Gaelic saying) Chan eil h-uile facal sireadh freagairt. Not every question requires an answer.

Cake or Death?
    Quote Originally Posted by MyBraska View Post
    The guy makes sense. In reading his # 3 point, my blood boils and reconfirms my desire to see bowls eliminated or drastically changed.

"3. If you must hate on-campus games, at least open this up to bid and not engage in the obvious cronyism of using only certain bowl sites. Bowl games stopped being useful decades ago. They may be fun, but the sport doesn't need bowls to promote it, like it did in the 1940s.

Today they are known for rampant profiteering – just this year each member of the LSU and Alabama band was charged $350 to just get into the game so they could perform for free. They've been hit with scandal, criminal indictments and IRS complaints. They've spent wildly on country club memberships, decadent parties and free-flowing expense accounts.

They pay their CEO three and four times (even more than $800,000 in a single year) the rate of similar sized non-profits."
    So so so so true! God the bowl system just reeks of corruption. His arguments against the compus sites not being viable is excellent as well. Can't say I disagreed with anything he had to say.

"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence." -Carl Sagan

Quote Originally Posted by The Impaler View Post
    So so so so true! God the bowl system just reeks of corruption. His arguments against the compus sites not being viable is excellent as well. Can't say I disagreed with anything he had to say.

Funny how he argues the whole money/corruption topic by arguing that there will be more money to gain. Guess what folks, the SAME people running the CURRENT "corrupt" bowls will still be running the SAME games in the playoff version. The system isn't nearly as flawed as the people running it, which is kind of what he says but doesn't address it enough. The same money is involved, therefore the same people will be...the problems aren't going away. Start attacking the CEO's and controlling how and where the money goes. YOU DON'T NEED TO REVAMP THE ENTIRE SYSTEM TO DO THAT!

If they go straight four there WILL be 2 teams from the SEC in the playoffs for awhile. (I won't be watching....just like I didn't watch the Les Saban rematch)

Lets say Boise St. does get a bid.....40,000+ fans is what their stadium holds, not sure what the expansion will increase it to. How much will those tickets cost?

What will happen is the system will still be flawed because deciding the top 4 will be just as difficult as the top 2....just wait, it will happen. Then we will have a complete hack job of coverage in the lower bowls OR they will be eliminated entirely because of "lack of revenue" and guess who suffers the most from that? The kids...you know, the ones who actually PLAY in those games and get to go someplace they've never been before in order to have FUN.

this is the biggest joke:

If they can't commit to math, a selection committee is the next best option. Five or seven people, analyzing set information and previously agreed-upon criteria will have to do. It basically is a computer formula with little human oversight.
    Maybe they use some of the members of the Legends Poll, ex-coaches who put in a lot of time studying tape, to produce what currently is the most respectable poll.

rrrrright, there won't be any bias here!

then follows up with:

Once the four-team field is set, there's almost no possible downside, no matter how hard they try.

and this sir is where you fail, almost or not

Cake or Death?
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrollsker View Post
    Funny how he argues the whole money/corruption topic by arguing that there will be more money to gain. Guess what folks, the SAME people running the CURRENT "corrupt" bowls will still be running the SAME games in the playoff version. The system isn't nearly as flawed as the people running it, which is kind of what he says but doesn't address it enough. The same money is involved, therefore the same people will be...the problems aren't going away. Start attacking the CEO's and controlling how and where the money goes. YOU DON'T NEED TO REVAMP THE ENTIRE SYSTEM TO DO THAT!
    Well, first off, that was his point. It SHOULDN'T be run by the bowls or BCS, rather the NCAA. Then all the extra money gets funneled back to the Universities. There was an article awhile back that actually pointed out how much of a financial strain bowls can be on the participants, if I can find it I will link it.

If they go straight four there WILL be 2 teams from the SEC in the playoffs for awhile. (I won't be watching....just like I didn't watch the Les Saban rematch)

Lets say Boise St. does get a bid.....40,000+ fans is what their stadium holds, not sure what the expansion will increase it to. How much will those tickets cost?
    So let's just ignore where he points out that since 98 the average attendance would have been in the upper 80's. Besides, we all know the meat of the financial windfall isn't from the stadium capacity here but from the TV $$

What will happen is the system will still be flawed because deciding the top 4 will be just as difficult as the top 2....just wait, it will happen. Then we will have a complete hack job of coverage in the lower bowls OR they will be eliminated entirely because of "lack of revenue" and guess who suffers the most from that? The kids...you know, the ones who actually PLAY in those games and get to go someplace they've never been before in order to have FUN.
    There will always be some controversy, that's to be expected, but 4 teams compared to 2 eliminates some of that. 6-4 and so on. But I really get sick of this argument that "the kids suffer." Please. Do kids at the FCS level suffer with no bowls? DII? And so on?

this is the biggest joke:

If they can't commit to math, a selection committee is the next best option. Five or seven people, analyzing set information and previously agreed-upon criteria will have to do. It basically is a computer formula with little human oversight.
    Maybe they use some of the members of the Legends Poll, ex-coaches who put in a lot of time studying tape, to produce what currently is the most respectable poll.

rrrrright, there won't be any bias here!

then follows up with:

Once the four-team field is set, there's almost no possible downside, no matter how hard they try.

and this sir is where you fail, almost or not
    No worse than what there is now, and it includes more teams, so sounds better to me.

"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence." -Carl Sagan

Junior Varsity
    Perhaps it is time to get the Bowl Championship Series (BCS) out of crowning a NC in college football?

What he has pointed out is that the BCS has been corrupted with money (i.e. Fiesta Bowl scandal) and that is driving the boat. It has got out of control and is somewhat out of the NCAA's hands. The switch from DI, DII, etc., to Bowl and Championship subdivisions has given the BCS considerable power and has lead to this corruption. Now there are lawsuits, threatened and real, Congressional investigations, etc. into the BCS.

At some point the NCAA is going to simply wash its hands of it and take back control of big school football. They can do so by simply getting rid of the BCS and going back to tradional conference tie-ins to bowl games and having NCAA divisions brought back and ironing out something for a Division I championship for the Big Boys. DI and DIII can go back to their traditional play-off format.

I have long said super conferences are coming, and if the NCAA does severe ties with the BCS, I think that era will be here. The NCAA will create a DI for football, but it will be much smaller than the old DI. Thus, some schools that were DI, will be relegated to DII. DI will be the premiere league and have 64 schools. There will be 4 Conferences (Super) made up of 16 teams.

Won't get there with this latest round, but if the NCAA was smart, they would get the BCS out of it, as far as determining a champion.

Its all about money, who's getting it, who deserves it, and most importantly who is NOT getting it. I'll be right here having this same conversation in ten years because you reformationists are sick and tired of the +1

Quote Originally Posted by The Impaler View Post
    Well, first off, that was his point. It SHOULDN'T be run by the bowls or BCS, rather the NCAA. Then all the extra money gets funneled back to the Universities. There was an article awhile back that actually pointed out how much of a financial strain bowls can be on the participants, if I can find it I will link it.

So let's just ignore where he points out that since 98 the average attendance would have been in the upper 80's. Besides, we all know the meat of the financial windfall isn't from the stadium capacity here but from the TV $$

There will always be some controversy, that's to be expected, but 4 teams compared to 2 eliminates some of that. 6-4 and so on. But I really get sick of this argument that "the kids suffer." Please. Do kids at the FCS level suffer with no bowls? DII? And so on?

No worse than what there is now, and it includes more teams, so sounds better to me.
    This is the other sides argument that is old...."well its better than what we have now," really? I guess if a little better is what we're shooting for then yes.

Change can be good, but not when people make decisions off of blind emotion from fan bases that get snubbed. Guess what, thats life. Things don't always work out but I can tell you one thing, this decision will not bank on or preserve tradition and the changes/fallout that occurs will leave college football different but I don't think necessarily better.

So you're telling me if they offered a bowl game to DII kids they wouldn't want to go?