Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Obamacare saves billions for companies

All Big 10
    Quote Originally Posted by RedPhoenix View Post
    http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012...est=latestnews

Republicans on the House Ways and Means Committee surveyed the top 100 companies about how much they spent on health care -- a total of 71, covering 5.9 million employees, responded. The results suggested it would be far more attractive for companies to drop workers from those plans than keep them.
    Even after paying a penalty of $2,000 per employee, the companies stand to save $28.6 billion in 2014 alone by shifting employees to health insurance exchanges governed by strict federal standards. The companies stand to save more than $422 billion over the first 10 years of the law by doing this.

That's great news when workers face a period of extremely low bargaining power. Companies will be able to dump the cost without paying higher wages, and at the same time (mostly likely) they'll be getting corporate tax rates lowered.

It makes one wonder why liberals want to vote for Obama.
    "It doesn't matter where you start or how people perceive you now or what your potential is. ... It's going to be how this football team comes together and meets the challenges ... I like our potential, but there's a lot of teams that like their potential. It's going to be how we put things together, how we grow and how we come together as a team. It's not going to be the best collection of talent, it's going to be the best team. ...." - Bo Pelini, Big 10 Media Days, 2014

The Walking Red
    Heck ... A conspiracy theorist would believe Obama intentionally tanked the economy these past few years (while protecting labor unions), in order to ensure companies were forced into this position, to cut costs, while non-union employees were at their weakest bargaining position to have any other choice ... All while unions are protected.

I mean, to believe such a thing you would have to think that all that union financial support could influence government policy at this level.

Red Shirt
    Quote Originally Posted by FLA4NEB View Post
    Well if they believe that 48 million is 1/4 of the US population than yes they are wrong.
    I am pretty sure that they mean that 48 million is about 1/4 of the adults who are 19-64 not 1/4 of the entire population.
    It's hard to be humble when you're a Husker

All Big 10
    Quote Originally Posted by nems View Post
    Heck ... A conspiracy theorist would believe Obama intentionally tanked the economy these past few years (while protecting labor unions), in order to ensure companies were forced into this position, to cut costs, while non-union employees were at their weakest bargaining position to have any other choice ... All while unions are protected.

I mean, to believe such a thing you would have to think that all that union financial support could influence government policy at this level.
    Given when the recession started, GWB must be in on it too.
    "It doesn't matter where you start or how people perceive you now or what your potential is. ... It's going to be how this football team comes together and meets the challenges ... I like our potential, but there's a lot of teams that like their potential. It's going to be how we put things together, how we grow and how we come together as a team. It's not going to be the best collection of talent, it's going to be the best team. ...." - Bo Pelini, Big 10 Media Days, 2014

God of Huskermax

In all seriousness, it's fairly evident where this is headed. It's quite clear that companies will do exactly what is discussed in this report. Heavily government subsidized insurance is government insurance. Those that lose their current health plans will go to this system. They won't have much other choice.

I personally think for those that happens to, it quite simply sux, and not something to be happy about.
    Private insurance is private insurance.

God of Huskermax

That's a huge strawman. I know exactly what a company is and how it will make decisions for it's own best interest, basically as it is required to do for the benefit of its shareholders. Companies aren't charities.

I also know the option that is being created is highly inferior for those that will be losing their health insurance.

If this strawman is one of your arguments in favor of this, that's incredibly disappointing.
    I've said I am 100% in favor of getting companies away from providing insurance to their employees. I think it will help bring down costs tremendously.

God of Huskermax

Quote Originally Posted by HuZkurZ View Post
    Against my better judgement to engage you in any type of dialogue, I have to correct your lie. I don't get mad when Bush gets blamed, bored maybe, when Obama still trys to blame him for racking up more debt in 3 1/2 years then all presidents before him combined, I hardly think the two cases are comparable.

You can also see post #50.

Have a nice life.
    You do seem to get quite upset when it's brought up.

I'm sorry your company is so uncaring.
    I don't expect companies to have feelings. Feelings don't pay the bills.
    it sounds like you're blaming Obama for your company doing exactly what you think they should do that seems like an odd point of view to have.

Quote Originally Posted by Nebraska1 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SealBeachHusker View Post
    What percentage of the population do you believe is uncovered by private insurance, Medicare, or state programs like MediCal?
    How about 48 million people or 1 in 4 of all americans.

The study by the Commonwealth Fund polled 2,100 people aged 19 to 64 and found that 26 percent of non-elderly adults went without insurance -- a percentage that researchers said equals about 48 million people when measured against U.S. Census data.
    You forgot a very important paragraph from your article:

"a study released on Thursday shows that one in four working-age Americans went without insurance at some point in 2011, often as a result of unemployment and other job changes"
    And, I'll ask again, percentage not covered by private health insurance, medicare or State Programs such as MediCal...and now include the rest of the programs listed below.

http://www.kaiserhealthnews.org/Dail...-coverage.aspx

"With fewer Americans receiving health care coverage through their employers, government-funded programs like Medicare, Medicaid, military health care, the Children's Health Care Program (CHIPS) and coverage offered by various states have had to pick up the slack. In 2010, 31% of Americans relied on the government for health insurance, up from 30.6% in 2009" (Christie, 9/13)"
    I'd honestly like to find an accurate number of people with no health coverage or eligibility for it (and not on a temporary basis) that's not a scare tactic or cherry picked number.

The Walking Red
    Quote Originally Posted by huskernut View Post
    Given when the recession started, GWB must be in on it too.
    I'm not really a conspiracy theorist ... I think Obama does exactly what he tells you he's going to do to you.

The Walking Red
    I've said I am 100% in favor of getting companies away from providing insurance to their employees. I think it will help bring down costs tremendously.
    I've seen no evidence to indicate health care costs will go down under this new model, short of government instituting it's own cost cutting measures in terms of coverage.

Something they will of course be better able to do once they have decimated the non government subsidized insurance marketplace.

The Walking Red
    Quote Originally Posted by Huskerwirejay View Post
    it sounds like you're blaming Obama for your company doing exactly what you think they should do that seems like an odd point of view to have.
    No, I'm blaming Obama for creating a law that forces the situation in favor of government subsidized health care.

No, I'm blaming Obama for creating a law that forces the situation in favor of government subsidized health care.
    isn't tax free healthcare=government subsidized health care?

The Walking Red
    isn't tax free healthcare=government subsidized health care?
    The government isn't covering the direct costs of healthcare through the existing employer provided system.

From this point forward, employers will have limited reasons to maintain their health plans, and the government subsidized "private" health insurance system will await you.

Recruit
    Quote Originally Posted by FLA4NEB View Post
    Oh my poor naive friend...we are being Nudged into the "right" way of doing things
    You got it.
    "I'm not allowed to argue with you until you've paid."