Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Dan Savage Points Out Hypocrisy in the Bible-one R rated word in video

God of Huskermax

Quote Originally Posted by SealBeachHusker View Post
    I believe faith and science are great compliments to one another and the world is better off because of the contributions of both. Now, as a person of faith, I see them as inextricably linked.
    I would agree with this.

Heisman

how quaint.

God of Huskermax

Quote Originally Posted by Big Red Rick View Post
    All this, coming from the man who hatefully re-defined "Santorum". This guy is a drama queen and not to be taken seriously.

I welcome Dan Savage to turn that microscope on his victimized self and tell us what he sees.
    To be fair, he himself didn't redefine Santorum. His readers did.

Heisman

abby huntsman is beautiful. oh wait...wrong thread. carry on.

Quote Originally Posted by RedPhoenix View Post
    To be fair, he himself didn't redefine Santorum. His readers did.
    Fair enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Huskers57 View Post
    abby huntsman is beautiful. oh wait...wrong thread. carry on.
    Abby Normal, however, was not. She was atrocious.

Heisman

Missed the start of this thread yesterday as I finished up work activities and departed for more fun evening activities. Thanks to both Chi and Luth for their very articulate and enlightening contributions, I agree wholeheartedly with what they posted, and surely can't add anything to what's already been said. Thanks also to them and Seal for pointing out the complete and total irony and hypocrisy of at least one poster in the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina Husker View Post
    Well that would make sense in that you yourself were born with a complete lack of faith.
    What a foolish post.

How would you possibly know what I was born with?

Here's the God's own truth (not that it matters to you) -- one of my very first recollections -- I must've been about 2 -- is gazing into a dark space under my parents kitchen sink, and wondering why I was born human, and not an apple. Honest. An apple. From that point on, I have always pondered my existence and come to the conclusion there's a force beyond the understanding of science that causes all this.

You haven't a clue about what I -- or anyone else -- was and wasn't born with.

As far as I can tell, homosexuality (in da Bible) is not a moral sin but a religious sin similar to lighting a fire on the Sabbath, because no innocent party is injured. I would say that most professing Christians could not explain or do not understand that Dr. J supposedly is the mediator of the new covenant whose blood was shed to fulfill the promises of da Old, so I don't see how Mr. Savage should be held accountable for not knowing the difference.

Anyway, (like a lot of people) I'm a music lover. My Mom is a gifted musician and teacher. I can perform a little, know music theory so-so, am pretty good at musicology, etc. I can whistle complete sonatas, symphonies, cantatas, oratorios (-:, but I am actually just an avid but not-too-talented amateur. When popular music is referenced here or other places, I'm clueless; no interest.

It has been said that the first notes of Wagner's Tristan und Isolde are the first notes of modern music, building on but replacing all that had been in the past. I have a friend who is a member of the Wagner Society. Her bro is a famous tenor in Japan. She spends all of her time and money studying Wagner's operas and attending performances all over the world. She has a studied opinion on every Wagner leifmotif, character, orchestration, instrumentation, score, libretti, performance, and performer. She uses esthetic, textual, source, form, rhetorical, redactive, narrative, and social-scientific criticisms of the topic to come to her conclusions. She is a very passionate about her love, and tears can come to her eyes when speaking about it. I attended a WS lecture with her once to hear an expert explaining Siegfried. The entire time she was busy whispering her criticisms of the experts critique in my ear. I had no idea what he was talking about or about what she was "arguing" about. She has been to Bayreuth on numerous occasions which she describes as "unforgettable, a religious experience." She is in two words, a "Wagner nut." But, she does not believe that Wotan (da major God in Germanic and Norse polytheism and conflicted character in Wagnerian operas) actually sleeps on a mountaintop with Fricka. If she did, she would just be a "nut" ...

Scout Team
    Quote Originally Posted by cm husker View Post
    Which is pretty much what everyone said about civil rights "agitators."

It's tough to avoid his central point, which is the bible seems to be invoked only selectively.
    As is the Constitution, me thinks!?!
    Paddle faster, I hear banjo music!

All Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Husker in Spokane View Post
    As is the Constitution, me thinks!?!
    Because the bible and the constitution are analogous?
    "We need education in the obvious more than investigation of the obscure."

"If you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."

“A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.”

Quote Originally Posted by RedBlack&Blue View Post
    What a foolish post.

Here's the God's own truth (not that it matters to you) -- one of my very first recollections -- I must've been about 2 -- is gazing into a dark space under my parents kitchen sink, and wondering why I was born human, and not an apple. Honest. An apple. From that point on, I have always pondered my existence and come to the conclusion there's a force beyond the understanding of science that causes all this.

You weren't born with a knowledge of God or the afterlife. Someone had to tell you about it. It's foolish of you to think you came out of the womb with an understanding of faith or the afterlife. That is all learned, not inherent.

Also, how many of the religious folks in here intellectually respect Scientology? Or Mormonism?

Also, how many of the religious folks in here intellectually respect Scientology? Or Mormonism?
    I do. I respect the fact that I can no more "prove" my faith than they can "prove" theres. I particularly respect Mormons -- I have found them almost without exception to be truly decent, caring people who are very thoughtful and introspective about their faith. I fully acknowledge that, although the vast majority of people throughout history have believed in a higher power, there are many different religions in the world. That said, I've always found it remarkable that the vast majority of religions (not all, but most) subscribe to a core set of values and beliefs. I think there are fundamental truths out there about the nature of our existence, and most of the religions of the world pick up on those truths. It is not unlike the eight blind men trying to describe an elephant, and each of them experiencing something a little bit different.

As my friend Luth likes to say, the opposite of faith is not doubt but certainty. I believe with all my heart in the Christian God, but I humbly acknowledge the possibility that I could be wrong. It would be the pinnacle of arrogance for me to suggest that some belief system other than my own, be it Mormonism or agnosticism, is automatically unworthy of intellectual respect simply because it differs from my own.
    "The distinctive mark of the Christian, today more than ever, must be love for the poor, the weak, the suffering." Pope John Paul II

Quote Originally Posted by RedBlack&Blue View Post
    What a foolish post.

You weren't born with a knowledge of God or the afterlife. Someone had to tell you about it. It's foolish of you to think you came out of the womb with an understanding of faith or the afterlife. That is all learned, not inherent.
    Genetic Memory and instinct are generally accepted as legitimate scientific theories. You don't know what is inherent in that genetic memory.

Heisman

Quote Originally Posted by ChitownHusker View Post
    I do. I respect the fact that I can no more "prove" my faith than they can "prove" theres. I particularly respect Mormons -- I have found them almost without exception to be truly decent, caring people who are very thoughtful and introspective about their faith. I fully acknowledge that, although the vast majority of people throughout history have believed in a higher power, there are many different religions in the world. That said, I've always found it remarkable that the vast majority of religions (not all, but most) subscribe to a core set of values and beliefs. I think there are fundamental truths out there about the nature of our existence, and most of the religions of the world pick up on those truths. It is not unlike the eight blind men trying to describe an elephant, and each of them experiencing something a little bit different.

As my friend Luth likes to say, the opposite of faith is not doubt but certainty. I believe with all my heart in the Christian God, but I humbly acknowledge the possibility that I could be wrong. It would be the pinnacle of arrogance for me to suggest that some belief system other than my own, be it Mormonism or agnosticism, is automatically unworthy of intellectual respect simply because it differs from my own.
    Very well put, Chi. To take your elephant and blind men analogy full circle, as well as comment on your comment about the pinnacle of arrogance - my thoughts are that many of the established religions *may* well be worshiping the same God, and once we stand before him we'll likely all find out that none of us had a perfect understanding. After all, the ways in which the various denominations and religions have come to worship over time have all originated and evolved via humans, and none of us are perfect - or even close. Who's to say that the Mormon God, the Christian God, even the Islamic God aren't one in the same, and each group's understanding of Him and how to worship are imperfect.

Quote Originally Posted by McKinneyTXHusker View Post
    Very well put, Chi. To take your elephant and blind men analogy full circle, as well as comment on your comment about the pinnacle of arrogance - my thoughts are that many of the established religions *may* well be worshiping the same God, and once we stand before him we'll likely all find out that none of us had a perfect understanding. After all, the ways in which the various denominations and religions have come to worship over time have all originated and evolved via humans, and none of us are perfect - or even close. Who's to say that the Mormon God, the Christian God, even the Islamic God aren't one in the same, and each group's understanding of Him and how to worship are imperfect.
    Indeed, all three religions worship the God of Abraham, as does Judaism.
    "The distinctive mark of the Christian, today more than ever, must be love for the poor, the weak, the suffering." Pope John Paul II

Heisman

Quote Originally Posted by ChitownHusker View Post
    Indeed, all three religions worship the God of Abraham, as does Judaism.
    Exactly - but many within each refuse to acknowledge or appreciate that.

Quote Originally Posted by SealBeachHusker View Post
    Genetic Memory and instinct are generally accepted as legitimate scientific theories. You don't know what is inherent in that genetic memory.
    Neither case would explain the fact that you were not born with the idea that Jesus was the Son of God sent here to provide you with eternal salvation. That is entirely learned behavior.

I respect the cinematic masterpiece that is Battlefield Earth, does that count?