Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Dan Savage Points Out Hypocrisy in the Bible-one R rated word in video

All Big 10
    What a stand up guy

(warning lots of bad words and content)

(yup I would equate him to those civil rights "agitators" CM...I can see MLK jr using these tactics)
    I am Fred Lawrence Anderson and I approve this post.

Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by cm husker View Post
    What in his statement was ignorant? Offensive maybe, overblown maybe, crass maybe, but ignorant? He was quoting the bible and pointing out how some adherents, and particularly those who are homophobic (yes, if you believe gays are bad because of the bible, you are a homophobe), only quote and follow bits of the bible.
    Maybe, just maybe, because he is an "Anti-bullying" expert?

Some people are born on third base and go through life thinking they hit a triple. - Barry Switzer

Life is hard
    ; its harder when you're stupid - John Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Greatest Fan of All View Post
    I'd be fine with a MAC coach...even Frank (a lesser mistake than Bo). Over Bo? ABSOLUTELY

God of Huskermax

Quote Originally Posted by CornfieldCounty View Post
    Maybe, just maybe, because he is an "Anti-bullying" expert?
    I love the logic. If a victim of a bully stands up to those doing the bullying he is therefore now a bully.

Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by RedPhoenix View Post
    I love the logic. If a victim of a bully stands up to those doing the bullying he is therefore now a bully.
    It is when he is lecturing on it

eta: I guess everyone there missed the fine print on how it was "bash the bullyer"

Some people are born on third base and go through life thinking they hit a triple. - Barry Switzer

Life is hard

I'd be fine with a MAC coach...even Frank (a lesser mistake than Bo). Over Bo? ABSOLUTELY

All Big 10

I guess the golden rule translates into the golden shower in his belief system...
    I am Fred Lawrence Anderson and I approve this post.

God of Huskermax

It is when he is lecturing on it

eta: I guess everyone there missed the fine print on how it was "bash the bullyer"
    Pointing out and ridiculing those who do the bullying, isn't bullying. It's standing up to the bullies. Of course the bullies will do everything they can to turn the argument around on those standing up for themselves. It's what they do.

God of Huskermax

Quote Originally Posted by FLA4NEB View Post
    I guess the golden rule translates into the golden shower in his belief system...
    Could be the same in your belief system as well. As far as I am aware golden showers aren't a "gay only" type of event.

Starter
    Pointing out and ridiculing those who do the bullying, isn't bullying. It's standing up to the bullies. Of course the bullies will do everything they can to turn the argument around on those standing up for themselves. It's what they do.
    I see what you did there

Its cool for him to screech his displeasure at his perceived bullying.. but that was not what the conference was about, now was it.

Life is hard

God of Huskermax

Quote Originally Posted by FLA4NEB View Post
    I believe he actually was following the "Golden Rule" of Christianity, he was treating the Christians exactly as they have treated him. If Christians actually followed that rule, they wouldn't worry so much about gays. Just food for thought.

Savage has publicly apologized and admitted he was guilty of bullying the Christian kids in the room who got up and left, which is the right thing to do. He was having a knee jerk and very hypocritical reaction to their walkout. He should step a little more lightly when he is making his (quite valid) critiques of the pick-and-choose nature of some Bible literalists, but it's to be expected as his whole schtick is 'edgy' to say the least and yes, his people have been looked down upon (or beaten, or murdered) because of this reading of the Bible and it's not surprising that he gets angry about it.

Quote Originally Posted by cm husker View Post
    What in his statement was ignorant? Offensive maybe, overblown maybe, crass maybe, but ignorant? He was quoting the bible and pointing out how some adherents, and particularly those who are homophobic (yes, if you believe gays are bad because of the bible, you are a homophobe), only quote and follow bits of the bible.

Here's the problem. Not all people who believe in the Bible are homophobes. In fact, not even all people who believe that homosexuality is a sin are homophobes. As Luth has said, it is entirely possible for Christians of good faith to come to opposite conclusions as to the interpretation of the passages that condemn homosexual conduct.

Dan Savage's speech was broadly condescending and offensive to anyone who is a Christian. If I was there, I would have walked out too, which, by the way, is a perfectly legitimate way for someone to express their disagreement with the person giving the speech.

Dan could have gone about making his argument in a way that would have pointed out the hypocrisy of the Christians who have condemn gays while ignoring other sins. He could have pointed out that even if homosexuality is a sin, that fact in no way would condone bullying or discrimination against gays. He could have used the Bible to his advantage, and pointed out the instances where Jesus stands up and defends the bullied and the ostracized, even if they were sinners.

Instead he chose to be snide and condescending to everyone who believes in the Bible, and not just to those who use the Bible to justify their bullying of gays. It was a stupid approach and entirely counterproductive to the very admirable goal that he is working to acheive.
    "The distinctive mark of the Christian, today more than ever, must be love for the poor, the weak, the suffering." Pope John Paul II

God of Huskermax

I see what you did there

Its cool for him to screech his displeasure at his perceived bullying.. but that was not what the conference was about, now was it.
    But as you said, he is the Anti Bullying expert, so it was very on topic for him to demonstrate how to stand up for ones self against the bullies.

Society Crazy Indeed
    Y'ALL HAVE TO KNOW THAT HE IS DEAD>>>MOVE ON!!!!!!1

oops wrong thread

I cannot be bought, compromised, detoured, lured away, turned back, deluded, or delayed. I will not flinch in the face of sacrifice, hesitate in the presence of adversity, negotiate at the table of the enemy, ponder at the pool of popularity, or meander in the maze of mediocrity.I wont give up, shut up, let up, until I have stayed up, stored up, prayed up, paid up, and showed up for all wounded children.

Starter
    But as you said, he is the Anti Bullying expert, so it was very on topic for him to demonstrate how to stand up for ones self against the bullies.
    Oh.. he was "demonstrating" bullying? OK, well then heck, why did he just say that?

I tend to think Chi is spot on here more than you, but that's just my christian side.. capiche?

Life is hard

God of Huskermax

Oh.. he was "demonstrating" bullying? OK, well then heck, why did he just say that?

I tend to think Chi is spot on here more than you, but that's just my christian side.. capiche?
    No. He was demonstrating how to stand up to bullies. But there is that logic again....If a victim of a bully stands up to those doing the bullying he is therefore now a bully.