Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: Dan Savage Points Out Hypocrisy in the Bible-one R rated word in video

Intellectual Patriot
    The opposite of Faith is Tim.
    Life Lesson: DO NOT LET THE MAN KEEP YOU DOWN! http://forum.huskermax.com/vbbs/show...er-King-Jr-Day
    "Yeah, saw that only Larry, Moe, and Curly had chimed-in before the thread was locked. C'est la vie when the cumulative IQ of those 3 shxxxeads is something less than 200, with Squatch nailing down 3rd place. Almost not worth the keystroke time expended reporting those twits, however..."

I love fan mail.

Quote Originally Posted by Squatchsker View Post
    The opposite of Faith is Tim.
    I might change my faith for that one.

Kidding.

Intellectual Patriot
    I wouldnt blame you if you took a sabbatical.
    Life Lesson: DO NOT LET THE MAN KEEP YOU DOWN! http://forum.huskermax.com/vbbs/show...er-King-Jr-Day
    "Yeah, saw that only Larry, Moe, and Curly had chimed-in before the thread was locked. C'est la vie when the cumulative IQ of those 3 shxxxeads is something less than 200, with Squatch nailing down 3rd place. Almost not worth the keystroke time expended reporting those twits, however..."

I love fan mail.

Quote Originally Posted by Squatchsker View Post
    I wouldnt blame you if you took a sabbatical.
    A sort of rumspringa?

SuperFan
    Quote Originally Posted by RedPhoenix View Post
    Where did I attempt to prove or disprove God?
    Did I say you attempted? I was speaking in general, kind sir. Not directed AT you. =)
    SKI-U-MAH!

SuperFan
    Quote Originally Posted by LutheranHusker View Post
    That, or, just simply refuse to try to use the Bible as though it were a science textbook, and instead as the story of God's love for the world.

There's also 2 creation stories in Genesis. And stuff happens in different orders. If I'm trying to fit the Bible into the categories of science or history textbook, that might bother me. But if I appreciate the story that God created order out of chaos, created the universe and all that is in it, and created humankind for us to be in relationship with each other and with God, then those things don't bother me. I can appreciate the truths that the stories tell me.
    I shouldn't be surprised you said the bolded as you are in the ministry... That's exactly it. That's why, when a Christian offers the Bible to someone not of the 'faith' they tell them to read it with "an open heart". What is in the Bible, while has some good information for one's brain.. it's meant for one's HEART.
    SKI-U-MAH!

Quote Originally Posted by SealBeachHusker View Post
    And, yet what some scientists suggest with Genetic Memory goes well beyond the notion of rules and predisposition...to knowledge of specific objects and relationships. Jung's notion of Collective Unconscious expands that possibility to shared inherited knowledge between humans.

Not trying to debate with you on whether this is in fact the case, and "faith" as a tangible term is irrelevant. A belief in a higher power has just as much feasibility of being passed on through this manner as any other specific knowledge.

http://www.wisconsinmedicalsociety.o...genetic_memory

"Which brings to mind Jay He is not a savant but rather he was a prolific musical prodigy at age three, and now is a musical genius in his teen years. On a 60 Minutes program in 2006 the parents describe Jay beginning to draw little cellos on paper at age two. Neither parent is musically inclined, and there never were any musical instruments, including a cello, in the home. At age three Jay asked if he could have a cello of his own. The parents took him to a music store and to their astonishment, Jay picked up a miniature cello and began to play it! He had never seen a real cello before that day. After that experience he began to draw his miniature cellos placed on musical lines. By age 5 he had composed five symphonies. By age 15 he had written nine symphonies. His fifth symphony, which was 190 pages and 1328 bars in length, was professionally recorded by the London Symphony Orchestra for Sony records."

"Where does Jay’s musical genius come from? How did he know about cellos, and how to play them at age three when never exposed to one before? How did he instinctively, at that age also “know” the rules of music when he had never studied or learned them?"

"Some argue that what the savant ‘inherits’ are the music, art or mathematic ‘templates’ (as opposed to specific knowledge itself) or scaffolding on which they then can so quickly ‘learn’ or construct areas of expertise. That may be and I am open to that alternative. From my direct observations of prodigious savants, though, it seems to me they inherit actual knowledge itself, not just the templates or scaffolding or ‘rules’ on which they can so quickly build. Thus, for me, genetic memory is inherited knowledge."
    Yeah, Dr. Jung was an interesting guy who made a significant contribution to his profession. His "notion" of the Collective Unconscious was derived from studying his own dreams. He was the archetype of the psychoanalyst (he invented personality "typing") who might say, "Aha, of course! You hated your father!" Actually, he was the son of a preacher man who struggled with his faith. He taught himself how to faint to deal with unpleasant situations. He was a philosophical idealist. Idealism is a thought process of how the material world adheres to ideas. Idealists follow a certain ideal concept and understand everything from its adherence to that concept. A subjective idealist might say, "While the world beyond sensation may exist, it is unknowable." An objective idealist might say, "Nature is the ideal expression of the Will of God." Blah, blah. Belief in a deity, the collective unconscious, the primacy of the Constitution, and "limited government" are all idealist notions. I'm sure I ain't telling you nothing you don't already know.

I think a lot of what Dr. Jung practiced has been or is in the process of being replaced by neuroscience. I agree with the interconnectedness of all things. But, the actual unity of the world lies in its materiality. The infinite universe consistently obeys universal laws. Social being determines social consciousness. Consciousness and reason are not special substances in contrast to nature and society.

I once knew a guy who claimed that he and his professor at Yale were the only people in the world who could translate and understand Ancient Hittite. I had no reason to doubt the veracity of his claim. But if there is inherited knowledge in genetic memory, with the correct regressive analysis, he could have saved a lot of time (-:

Quote Originally Posted by scoffey View Post
    And, yet what some scientists suggest with Genetic Memory goes well beyond the notion of rules and predisposition...to knowledge of specific objects and relationships. Jung's notion of Collective Unconscious expands that possibility to shared inherited knowledge between humans.

Not trying to debate with you on whether this is in fact the case, and "faith" as a tangible term is irrelevant. A belief in a higher power has just as much feasibility of being passed on through this manner as any other specific knowledge.

http://www.wisconsinmedicalsociety.o...genetic_memory

"Which brings to mind Jay He is not a savant but rather he was a prolific musical prodigy at age three, and now is a musical genius in his teen years. On a 60 Minutes program in 2006 the parents describe Jay beginning to draw little cellos on paper at age two. Neither parent is musically inclined, and there never were any musical instruments, including a cello, in the home. At age three Jay asked if he could have a cello of his own. The parents took him to a music store and to their astonishment, Jay picked up a miniature cello and began to play it! He had never seen a real cello before that day. After that experience he began to draw his miniature cellos placed on musical lines. By age 5 he had composed five symphonies. By age 15 he had written nine symphonies. His fifth symphony, which was 190 pages and 1328 bars in length, was professionally recorded by the London Symphony Orchestra for Sony records."

"Where does Jay’s musical genius come from? How did he know about cellos, and how to play them at age three when never exposed to one before? How did he instinctively, at that age also “know” the rules of music when he had never studied or learned them?"

"Some argue that what the savant ‘inherits’ are the music, art or mathematic ‘templates’ (as opposed to specific knowledge itself) or scaffolding on which they then can so quickly ‘learn’ or construct areas of expertise. That may be and I am open to that alternative. From my direct observations of prodigious savants, though, it seems to me they inherit actual knowledge itself, not just the templates or scaffolding or ‘rules’ on which they can so quickly build. Thus, for me, genetic memory is inherited knowledge."
    Yeah, Dr. Jung was an interesting guy who made a significant contribution to his profession. His "notion" of the Collective Unconscious was derived from studying his own dreams. He was the archetype of the psychoanalyst (he invented personality "typing") who might say, "Aha, of course! You hated your father!" Actually, he was the son of a preacher man who struggled with his faith. He taught himself how to faint to deal with unpleasant situations. He was a philosophical idealist. Idealism is a thought process of how the material world adheres to ideas. Idealists follow a certain ideal concept and understand everything from its adherence to that concept. A subjective idealist might say, "While the world beyond sensation may exist, it is unknowable." An objective idealist might say, "Nature is the ideal expression of the Will of God." Blah, blah. Belief in a deity, the collective unconscious, the primacy of the Constitution, and "limited government" are all idealist notions. I'm sure I ain't telling you nothing you don't already know.

I think a lot of what Dr. Jung practiced has been or is in the process of being replaced by neuroscience. I agree with the interconnectedness of all things. But, the actual unity of the world lies in its materiality. The infinite universe consistently obeys universal laws. Social being determines social consciousness. Consciousness and reason are not special substances in contrast to nature and society.

I once knew a guy who claimed that he and his professor at Yale were the only people in the world who could translate and understand Ancient Hittite. I had no reason to doubt the veracity of his claim. But if there is inherited knowledge in genetic memory, with the correct regressive analysis, he could have saved a lot of time (-:
    The very purpose of the academic structure is to add to the body knowledge. So, I don't think anyone took Jung's collective conscious as fact; it was used to inspire further research. As are many seminal papers. But, today, savants and other evidence of genetic memory are indeed legitimate areas of research from ethology to neurology.

Would be cool one day if people could access some of that potentially untapped knowledge, or perhaps it's residual memory only available to certain people. At this point we don't know for sure, but evidence is certainly there to support the notion that people may be born with inherent knowledge.

I just want to say that this has been an awesome thread.

"Always be ready to make your defense to anyone who demands from you an accounting for the hope that is in you; yet do it with gentleness and reverence." 1 Peter 3:15-16 (NRSV)

All Legend
    I can't think of anything to add except

Go Big Red!!!!

"It just shows that we're changing the program," Petteway said. "Coach Miles and the guys we have on our staff and our players, we're changing the culture of Nebraska basketball, and this is just the beginning for us." - HuskerOnline.com 2-16-2014

God of Huskermax

Quote Originally Posted by LutheranHusker View Post
    I just want to say that this has been an awesome thread.
    This! So much this.

Quote Originally Posted by RedBlack&Blue View Post
    His point is that it's used to justify one notion while many, many others are conveniently ignored (kosher) or fully accepted as being 100% wrong (slavery) And, in fact, the bible has been used to justify all sorts of crimes against humanity.

I don't blame the book....I blame the human race.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrollsker View Post
    His point is that it's used to justify one notion while many, many others are conveniently ignored (kosher) or fully accepted as being 100% wrong (slavery) And, in fact, the bible has been used to justify all sorts of crimes against humanity.

Yup, would be hard pressed to find any philosophy that hasn't been manipulated by man for nefarious ends at some point in time.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrollsker View Post

Yup, would be hard pressed to find any philosophy that hasn't been manipulated by man for nefarious ends at some point in time.
    I can think of but one whose aim has remained pure, used only for the well-being of all humanity. After all, he WOULD make a plan and he'd follow through, that's what he'd do:
    Attached Images Attached Images

"Always be ready to make your defense to anyone who demands from you an accounting for the hope that is in you; yet do it with gentleness and reverence." 1 Peter 3:15-16 (NRSV)

Quote Originally Posted by ChitownHusker View Post
    Carolina must be an agnostic (notwithstanding his admitted disdain for any religious belief) because he claims the only honest answer is "I don't know."

That said, posts 66 and 141 are excellent examples of his closed-minded point of view.
    I don't care at all about being open-minded. Most opened minded people I know have no thoughts of their own. If nothing else I appreciate conviction. Nothing more ridiculous than some loosie goosie "yeah he's my Lord and savior but I could be wrong" kind of open-minded amirite?

For hardcore Christians who believe you've found eternal salvation you guys sure are sensitive. Lutheran is the most honest of the bunch.

Quote Originally Posted by McKinneyTXHusker View Post
    Ah, SUCH an "intellectual" you are! "Welp"?? Really?
    I can't remember how many infractions I've had since three different mods have handed down three different demerits since I've been so bold as to point out how ludicrous all of this is, and much like religion, the rules here are shamelessly made up as we go along, here but by the grace of God go I:

You're really really really not good at this. The Internet is not for you. You should just quit.

The fact that civilizations with no contact with each other thousands of years ago came to believe in a higher power, in often very different manners kind of proves your little picture wrong.
    Ok I take back my last post this is worse.

By the way I shot 78 on Friday for those of you scoring at home. Honestly I'd renounce my agnosticism, cash in my tithe and slit a goat's throat at the altar tomorrow morning at the early mass if I could pick up a few strokes. ************** driver.

Pray that this happens kthanxbai.

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina Husker View Post
    The fact that civilizations with no contact with each other thousands of years ago came to believe in a higher power, in often very different manners kind of proves your little picture wrong.
    Ok I take back my last post this is worse.
    I think I can take your posts from this thread alone and assemble DSM-5.

Most bizarre postings in a long long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina Husker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ChitownHusker View Post
    Carolina must be an agnostic (notwithstanding his admitted disdain for any religious belief) because he claims the only honest answer is "I don't know."

That said, posts 66 and 141 are excellent examples of his closed-minded point of view.
    I don't care at all about being open-minded. Most opened minded people I know have no thoughts of their own. If nothing else I appreciate conviction. Nothing more ridiculous than some loosie goosie "yeah he's my Lord and savior but I could be wrong" kind of open-minded amirite?

For hardcore Christians who believe you've found eternal salvation you guys sure are sensitive. Lutheran is the most honest of the bunch.
    It's like Nugent and Maher threw up on the same page.