Get HuskerMax on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Dan Savage Points Out Hypocrisy in the Bible-one R rated word in video

Quote Originally Posted by LutheranHusker View Post
    This I can understand and agree with. I believe I have been given promises about what will happen after we die, that we have been given pictures and metaphors to help try to describe it, but I can't know for sure. And that's where I see many of my Christian brothers and sisters getting tripped up...faith isn't assent to a set of intellectual propositions...it's simply trust. And frankly, I put much more trust in the Bible as a series of writings that came together over hundreds of years by different people in different circumstances with different aims in different styles and most likely after years of oral tradition before anything was even written than I would if someone tried to claim that it was divine dictation or miraculously discovered in a cave or something. I have faith in a God who inspired these writings, but intellectual responsibility in trying to learn all I can about their original languages and context and literary style and history and such.

Faith may be separate from reason, but it ought not to force one to abandon reason, either. Each ought to inform the other, be in conversation with the other.

I fully believe that while reason will never lead straight into faith, it absolutely can and does point to it.
    I appreciate the sentiment, but to me, that's too risky a proposition.

Again, going back to my first post, I acknowledge and appreciate one's adherence to a personal faith. I often times wish I could generate the same internal ability to feel this way. But it's the manifestation of that into an organized practice that claims to be a truth I just cannot take seriously. At least intellectually.

Quote Originally Posted by ChitownHusker View Post
    So you are refusing to comply with the board rules? I'll give you one more chance to rethink that position. Let me know what you want to do. I could simply go in and correct the quote for you, but I want to give you one more opportunity to fix things. Your call.
    Apologize first for bringing nothing of substance to the conversation and I'll consider it.

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina Husker View Post
    Apologize first for bringing nothing of substance to the conversation and I'll consider it.
    Instead, I will fix it myself and issue an infraction. Good grief.
    "The distinctive mark of the Christian, today more than ever, must be love for the poor, the weak, the suffering." Pope John Paul II

Quote Originally Posted by cm husker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SealBeachHusker View Post
    Thankfully, the most progressive of thinkers in science often theorize that which is beyond their reasonable
    lifetime to ever prove.

And, taken to the extreme, science and probability is ammoral and can be used to justify everything from genocide to eugenics. Science alone is not enough. Social mores are not objectively testable and measurable, they are a "belief" in what is right and wrong, yet they are essential to a thriving society.
    I am genuinely amused when people argue that either secularism or sectarianism can be used to motivate evil, therefore either approach is evil.
    I believe faith and science are great compliments to one another and the world is better off because of the contributions of both. Now, as a person of faith, I see them as inextricably linked.

Come on. Don't act like you didn't enjoy that.

God of Huskermax

I missed a good one!

Quote Originally Posted by RedPhoenix View Post
    I missed a good one!
    This has been much more interesting than the short paper on Jeremiah 46-51 that I'm supposed to have been writing tonight.

"Always be ready to make your defense to anyone who demands from you an accounting for the hope that is in you; yet do it with gentleness and reverence." 1 Peter 3:15-16 (NRSV)

Come on. Don't act like you didn't enjoy that.
    Hey, being a man of science that you obviously are, the if-then relationship was made pretty clear.

All this, coming from the man who hatefully re-defined "Santorum". This guy is a drama queen and not to be taken seriously.

I welcome Dan Savage to turn that microscope on his victimized self and tell us what he sees.

God of Huskermax

God of Huskermax

Quote Originally Posted by SealBeachHusker View Post
    I believe faith and science are great compliments to one another and the world is better off because of the contributions of both. Now, as a person of faith, I see them as inextricably linked.
    I would agree with this.

Husker Fan

how quaint.

God of Huskermax

Quote Originally Posted by Big Red Rick View Post
    All this, coming from the man who hatefully re-defined "Santorum". This guy is a drama queen and not to be taken seriously.

I welcome Dan Savage to turn that microscope on his victimized self and tell us what he sees.
    To be fair, he himself didn't redefine Santorum. His readers did.

Husker Fan

abby huntsman is beautiful. oh wait...wrong thread. carry on.

Quote Originally Posted by RedPhoenix View Post
    To be fair, he himself didn't redefine Santorum. His readers did.
    Fair enough.