Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pops helped me preach the gospel this past weekend!

All Big 10
    I'm sure Pops will do better than this guy when he comes to visit you.

Great sermon, LH!
    "It doesn't matter where you start or how people perceive you now or what your potential is. ... It's going to be how this football team comes together and meets the challenges ... I like our potential, but there's a lot of teams that like their potential. It's going to be how we put things together, how we grow and how we come together as a team. It's not going to be the best collection of talent, it's going to be the best team. ...." - Bo Pelini, Big 10 Media Days, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Huskers57 View Post
    ah makes sense.

When you start your preaching, are you going to do it online with subtitles and all so you can reach more people?
    If I post sermon videos on YouTube, that would be a great idea.

"Always be ready to make your defense to anyone who demands from you an accounting for the hope that is in you; yet do it with gentleness and reverence." 1 Peter 3:15-16 (NRSV)

towel boy
    Well said Luth! Enjoyed every word of it.

Society Crazy Indeed
    Quote Originally Posted by huskernut View Post
    I'm sure Pops will do better than this guy when he comes to visit you.

Great sermon, LH!

yes ...for one I respect the scooter.

But i would love to come dressed in my skins...sit in the front row and have Luth give me 10-15 minutes to address the members of the church.

I would tell them this is the first time i have walked through the doors of any kind of a church in over 40 years. The reason i am talking to you is because of Matt. Not only do i respect the man I respect his faith. I am the one he told you about a while back. An atheist that has had many long and meaningful talks with this wonderful man. He may not have been able to convert me over to a believer in God but he has made me a believer in people.

People like yourselves that not only have faith in God but also faith in your fellow brothers and sisters. If this man can make me a believer then you have a hell of a man leading the way for you. It is a honor to be here today to see the man and hear his voice giving the message as he receives it. It is a joy to follow his blog and see what he has done to help his brothers and sister from around the world.

i heard a quote a while back that has always hit home to me and how Matt hands out the word of God. and it goes something like this
    "A good sermon should be like a short skirt. Short enough to cause arousal but long enough to cover the essentials" Well he has caused arousal so to speak in a person that many thought would never listen....me!

He has shown me that, not only does he deliver the word of the gospel in a manner that draws attention of those that will listen but he also backs those words by his actions as well. A person that hears the message has no choice but to follow with actions of our own. Today we seem to be bothered by the little things, politics, women's rights, gay rights, gas prices, corporate greed, taxes, wars, food prices, education. All of that pits us as bothers and sisters against each other and draws lines in the sand to see who is right. At the end of the day all that i mentioned has little or no meaning if we cant get along with each other. The white man the back man, the yellow, red, and brown man, all are our brothers, yet we treat each others as strangers.

I as a Atheist. I have figured out a way to combat that. If I am walking down the street I can no longer use my phone...instead I have to say hello to as many strangers as possible before I reach my destination. If I'm in the airport, I do the same thing with people i know will be getting on the same plane as myself. Just saying hello to a stranger and wishing them not a good day but a great day may not have meaning at the time....but it sure will when they reflect back on it....thinking who was that scary man and why was he wishing me a great day? Its a question they will never be able to answer unless they see me again and ask. That answer is simple.. we owe each other a smile. More times than not you can see and watch it paid forward.

if God can not deliver happiness each day as you have hoped then we can deliver it to each other. If God does deliver happiness to you each day then, is it not your job a a child of God to pay it forward. Matt has done that and by paying it forward, he has touched even some of us non-believers.

I see Matt as a pebble thrown into still waters. The ripples that it causes will reach those of faith, and the ripple that travels ever further will sometime splash against those like myself.....
    Reach out your hand...if you cup is empty, may it be full again.

My cup is full so i offer you what I can.

peace

I cannot be bought, compromised, detoured, lured away, turned back, deluded, or delayed. I will not flinch in the face of sacrifice, hesitate in the presence of adversity, negotiate at the table of the enemy, ponder at the pool of popularity, or meander in the maze of mediocrity.I wont give up, shut up, let up, until I have stayed up, stored up, prayed up, paid up, and showed up for all wounded children.

Husker Fan

what were you doing up at 3AM pops!?!

Society Crazy Indeed
    what were you doing up at 3AM pops!?!
    preparing for a talk today on addiction and harm reduction in Galveston...

I cannot be bought, compromised, detoured, lured away, turned back, deluded, or delayed. I will not flinch in the face of sacrifice, hesitate in the presence of adversity, negotiate at the table of the enemy, ponder at the pool of popularity, or meander in the maze of mediocrity.I wont give up, shut up, let up, until I have stayed up, stored up, prayed up, paid up, and showed up for all wounded children.

Husker Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Pops View Post
    preparing for a talk today on addiction and harm reduction in Galveston...
    ah. good work Hope the talk goes well today! and excellent post above pops...matt will be happy to read it...very well thought out.

thought it was kneel not stoop?
    Such a quintessential 57 post.

The gospel according to Pops...I like it.
    nm57

But i would love to come dressed in my skins...sit in the front row and have Luth give me 10-15 minutes to address the members of the church.

I would tell them this is the first time i have walked through the doors of any kind of a church in over 40 years. The reason i am talking to you is because of Matt. Not only do i respect the man I respect his faith. I am the one he told you about a while back. An atheist that has had many long and meaningful talks with this wonderful man. He may not have been able to convert me over to a believer in God but he has made me a believer in people.

People like yourselves that not only have faith in God but also faith in your fellow brothers and sisters. If this man can make me a believer then you have a hell of a man leading the way for you. It is a honor to be here today to see the man and hear his voice giving the message as he receives it. It is a joy to follow his blog and see what he has done to help his brothers and sister from around the world.

i heard a quote a while back that has always hit home to me and how Matt hands out the word of God. and it goes something like this
    "A good sermon should be like a short skirt. Short enough to cause arousal but long enough to cover the essentials" Well he has caused arousal so to speak in a person that many thought would never listen....me!

He has shown me that, not only does he deliver the word of the gospel in a manner that draws attention of those that will listen but he also backs those words by his actions as well. A person that hears the message has no choice but to follow with actions of our own. Today we seem to be bothered by the little things, politics, women's rights, gay rights, gas prices, corporate greed, taxes, wars, food prices, education. All of that pits us as bothers and sisters against each other and draws lines in the sand to see who is right. At the end of the day all that i mentioned has little or no meaning if we cant get along with each other. The white man the back man, the yellow, red, and brown man, all are our brothers, yet we treat each others as strangers.

I as a Atheist. I have figured out a way to combat that. If I am walking down the street I can no longer use my phone...instead I have to say hello to as many strangers as possible before I reach my destination. If I'm in the airport, I do the same thing with people i know will be getting on the same plane as myself. Just saying hello to a stranger and wishing them not a good day but a great day may not have meaning at the time....but it sure will when they reflect back on it....thinking who was that scary man and why was he wishing me a great day? Its a question they will never be able to answer unless they see me again and ask. That answer is simple.. we owe each other a smile. More times than not you can see and watch it paid forward.

if God can not deliver happiness each day as you have hoped then we can deliver it to each other. If God does deliver happiness to you each day then, is it not your job a a child of God to pay it forward. Matt has done that and by paying it forward, he has touched even some of us non-believers.

I see Matt as a pebble thrown into still waters. The ripples that it causes will reach those of faith, and the ripple that travels ever further will sometime splash against those like myself.....

peace
    Wow, Pops, thanks for sharing those thoughtful and moving words. It seriously means a lot to me to read them.

And when you visit us someday, I fully expect you dressed in your skins...wouldn't want it any other way, my friend.

"Always be ready to make your defense to anyone who demands from you an accounting for the hope that is in you; yet do it with gentleness and reverence." 1 Peter 3:15-16 (NRSV)

towel boy
    Doggone dust in the air. Wheres my Kleenex?

Quote Originally Posted by BigRedIggy View Post
    Well said Luth! Enjoyed every word of it.
    Thanks!

Oh my!

peace
    You done did good!!!!
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." Ayn Rand

"Hillary has been cheated on more than a blind woman playing Scrabble. With gypsies." Dennis Miller