Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.

Thread: Just going for a Sunday drive

Head Lackey

Just going for a Sunday drive

All my grandpa ever did when I was a little kid was offer me a shot of schnapps and a beer when I'd visit.

Couple jailed for pulling granddaughter from SUV in toy car

SARASOTA - A Sarasota couple is accused of taking their 7-year-old granddaughter on a very dangerous ride.
    The sheriff's office said the grandparents tied a toy car to the back of their SUV and started towing the little girl! The grandfather is in jail; the family is trying to raise the $850 he needs to get him sprung.
    His wife, the grandmother, was able to make bail and she told us, in a word, what they did, was stupid.
    "Stupid idea," said Belinda Jean Berloni. "Stupid idea, I agree, I agree."
    The 47-year-old grandmother admits it was not the best idea to entertain her granddaughter by pulling her around in a toy car.
    "We took this and hooked it around the hitch of the truck and drove about five miles an hour up and down the street with her," she explained, holding-up two dog leashes, which were still connected.
    She and her husband, 49-year-old grandfather Paul Berloni, had had a few beers.
    "Yeah, we did, it's Sunday afternoon, had a few beers, no big deal, I didn't think," she said.

But a Sarasota County sheriff's deputy saw it differently.
    "Paul Berloni told the deputy that he has five prior DUIs, I haven't confirmed that number, but I know the charge is for his 4th or subsequent DUI," said Wendy Rose, with the Sarasota Sheriff's Office.
    Paul Berloni was also driving with a suspended license.
    The grandmother told us she had already made three or four runs up and down the access road, pulling their granddaughter behind them, in that toy car, using a couple of dog leashes connected together. And they were just about to make their last run, when the Sheriff's deputy stopped them.
    "So, were you surprised when the police stopped?," we asked. "Yes! Yes!," she exclaimed. "Well, I thought they were just gonna tell us we couldn't do it. Give us a warning, say, hey, this isn't very safe, maybe this is not a bright idea."
    Belinda Berloni said she was sitting with her legs dangling out the back gate of their SUV, just a few feet from her granddaughter. Deputies said the little girl was wearing a bathing suit, no protective gear and no helmet. Luckily she was not hurt.
    Berloni said she never felt she was in any danger.
    "No," said Berloni. "She was all woot! woot! woot! the whole time anyway!," she said, pumping her fists in the air.Both grandparents face child endangerment charges. Belinda Berloni is on supervised release and is to have no contact with her granddaughter and no drinking. She also has to check in with the sheriff's office three times a week.
    "We're just grateful that that child wasn't injured," said Rose.
    And so is the grandmother.
    "I love all my grandchildren," said Berloni. "I would never put them in harm's way."
    Belinda Berloni told us her son is understandably mad at her for what happened, but she said, it was truly, a lesson learned.
    http://www.myfoxtampabay.com/dpp/new...-by-suv-043012
    Lord loves a workin' man; don't trust whitey; see a doctor and get rid of it.

I never ceased to be surprised at the stupidity of certain members of the human race.
    "The distinctive mark of the Christian, today more than ever, must be love for the poor, the weak, the suffering." Pope John Paul II

Society Crazy Indeed
    Quote Originally Posted by ChitownHusker View Post
    I never ceased to be surprised at the stupidity of certain members of the human race.
    hey hey heyyyyyyyyyyy

2 years ago....
    My lil buddy having a fantastic time in MN...see that smile...he's not in agony!

But then I'm nothing but a ole tree hugger

I cannot be bought, compromised, detoured, lured away, turned back, deluded, or delayed. I will not flinch in the face of sacrifice, hesitate in the presence of adversity, negotiate at the table of the enemy, ponder at the pool of popularity, or meander in the maze of mediocrity.I wont give up, shut up, let up, until I have stayed up, stored up, prayed up, paid up, and showed up for all wounded children.

Administrator
    I have pulled my kid on a sled before. I guess it depends on all the factors involved.

Born a Nebraskan, raised a Nebraskan, will die a Nebraskan!! Go Big Red!

Men of Israel, consider carefully what you intend to do to these men. Some time ago Theudas appeared, claiming to be somebody, and about four hundred men rallied to him. He was killed, all his followers were dispersed, and it all came to nothing. After him, Judas the Galilean appeared in the days of the census and led a band of people in revolt. He too was killed, and all his followers were scattered. Therefore, in the present case I advise you: Leave these men alone! Let them go! For if their purpose or activity is of human origin, it will fail. But if it is from God, you will not be able to stop these men; you will only find yourselves fighting against God.” - Gamalie the Pharisee - Addressing the Sanhedrin regarding the new group called Christians
    "I support collecting more in taxes from people with high incomes who choose to actually pay taxes at lower tax rates than use lawyers and accountants to avoid taxes at higher tax rates," he wrote. "Some tax revenues at low tax rates is a heckuva lot better than no tax revenues at high tax rates." - Art Laffer (on 999 plan)

Husker Immortal
    it's fun to watch how things change decade by decade

Society Crazy Indeed
    Quote Originally Posted by CombatTargeteer View Post
    it's fun to watch how things change decade by decade
    yup.....scary in fact.

I cannot be bought, compromised, detoured, lured away, turned back, deluded, or delayed. I will not flinch in the face of sacrifice, hesitate in the presence of adversity, negotiate at the table of the enemy, ponder at the pool of popularity, or meander in the maze of mediocrity.I wont give up, shut up, let up, until I have stayed up, stored up, prayed up, paid up, and showed up for all wounded children.

Head Lackey
    Quote Originally Posted by Pops View Post
    But then I'm nothing but a ole tree hugger

Man, that thing looks about 500 years old.

I'll bet the tree has been there quite a while too.

Lord loves a workin' man; don't trust whitey; see a doctor and get rid of it.

Society Crazy Indeed
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Dead Redemption View Post
    Man, that thing looks about 500 years old.

I'll bet the tree has been there quite a while too.

lmao...I see how y'all are going to be with me now

Put a helmet on that kid and don't do it while drinking and I'm OK with it. Then again when I was a skater back in the 80s I loved grabbing the bumpers of passing cars and riding them at much greater speeds than 5mph.

Quote Originally Posted by Showman View Post
    Put a helmet on that kid and don't do it while drinking and I'm OK with it. Then again when I was a skater back in the 80s I loved grabbing the bumpers of passing cars and riding them at much greater speeds than 5mph.
    The drunk driving the kid around was the part that really got me.
    "The distinctive mark of the Christian, today more than ever, must be love for the poor, the weak, the suffering." Pope John Paul II

Quote Originally Posted by Showman View Post
    Showman, circa 1985:

All Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by ChitownHusker View Post
    The drunk driving the kid around was the part that really got me.
    This is something that with a smart, responsible adult in charge, I think is OK once in a great while. But a man with 4 DUIs doesn't qualify.
    "It doesn't matter where you start or how people perceive you now or what your potential is. ... It's going to be how this football team comes together and meets the challenges ... I like our potential, but there's a lot of teams that like their potential. It's going to be how we put things together, how we grow and how we come together as a team. It's not going to be the best collection of talent, it's going to be the best team. ...." - Bo Pelini, Big 10 Media Days, 2014