Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.

Thread: FDA may let patients buy drugs without prescriptions

FDA may let patients buy drugs without prescriptions

In a move that could help the government trim its burgeoning health care costs, the Food and Drug Administration may soon permit Americans to obtain some drugs used to treat conditions such as high blood pressure and diabetes without obtaining a prescription.

The FDA says over-the-counter distribution would let patients get drugs for many common conditions without the time and expense of visiting a doctor, but medical providers call the change medically unsound and note that it also may mean that insurance no longer will pay for the drugs.
    By removing the prescription requirement from popular drugs, the Obama administration could ease financial pressures on the overburdened Medicare system by paying for fewer doctor visits and possibly opening the door to make seniors pay a larger share of the cost of their medications.
    Washington Times

Compromising quality care to keep costs down?

Husker Immortal
    from the same group that brought us the death panels; makes sense and is consistent.

Husker Immortal
    There are 100,000 deaths a year due to medication errors. Makes me wonder if the public would do much worse than the medical establishment.
    "Humility is not thinking less of yourself, it's thinking of yourself less." C. S. Lewis

how about starting with the doctors' handwritings...they've contributed to an untold percentage of deaths.

Husker Immortal
    Quote Originally Posted by Huskers57 View Post
    how about starting with the doctors' handwritings...they've contributed to an untold percentage of deaths.
    Electronic medical records is supposed to help this but there are still countless errors and bugs in the system.
    "Humility is not thinking less of yourself, it's thinking of yourself less." C. S. Lewis

Society Crazy Indeed
    this mean I can get a script for oxy when ever I want.....sweet! Except the new OCs have a jell coat that make em impossible to inject

I cannot be bought, compromised, detoured, lured away, turned back, deluded, or delayed. I will not flinch in the face of sacrifice, hesitate in the presence of adversity, negotiate at the table of the enemy, ponder at the pool of popularity, or meander in the maze of mediocrity.I wont give up, shut up, let up, until I have stayed up, stored up, prayed up, paid up, and showed up for all wounded children.

Intellectual Patriot
    Wellness would eliminate a lot of these issues, especially for the type 2 diabetes and high blood pressure meds. But hey, that means work and or dacrifice, and we dont like that.
    Life Lesson: DO NOT LET THE MAN KEEP YOU DOWN! http://forum.huskermax.com/vbbs/show...er-King-Jr-Day
    "Yeah, saw that only Larry, Moe, and Curly had chimed-in before the thread was locked. C'est la vie when the cumulative IQ of those 3 shxxxeads is something less than 200, with Squatch nailing down 3rd place. Almost not worth the keystroke time expended reporting those twits, however..."

I love fan mail.

Intellectual Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by Pops View Post
    this mean I can get a script for oxy when ever I want.....sweet! Except the new OCs have a jell coat that make em impossible to inject
    Just pop them in your Diet Coke so they fizz like Mentos. That reminds me, wouldnt cocaine be the original Diet Coke?
    Life Lesson: DO NOT LET THE MAN KEEP YOU DOWN! http://forum.huskermax.com/vbbs/show...er-King-Jr-Day
    "Yeah, saw that only Larry, Moe, and Curly had chimed-in before the thread was locked. C'est la vie when the cumulative IQ of those 3 shxxxeads is something less than 200, with Squatch nailing down 3rd place. Almost not worth the keystroke time expended reporting those twits, however..."

I love fan mail.

Husker Immortal
    Quote Originally Posted by Squatchsker View Post
    Wellness would eliminate a lot of these issues, especially for the type 2 diabetes and high blood pressure meds. But hey, that means work and or dacrifice, and we dont like that.
    Exactly...is it any wonder that more money is spent by Big Pharma in lobbying efforts than by any other industry in the U.S.?