Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Navy SEALs: Yeah, Obama Should Probably Shut Up About bin Laden Now

Travel Squad

Quote Originally Posted by Big Red Rick View Post
    They take full responsibility for this act, but shirk responsibility for bad moves like Fast and Furious and the Secret Service Hookergate.
    A slight difference:

I'm pretty sure "they" (the Obama Administration) authorized the attack on the bin Laden compound. I'm also pretty sure "they" did not authorize the Hookergate (though like most of the rest of us, "they" probably deep down wish they had been there, based upon the body of the one hooker whose face was not shown. Hubba hubba.)
    "Those mothers would rather see the country go down in flames than let the times change."

-- Samuel L. Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by Pops View Post
    we are all still hoping for he puts a end to your access to the internet
    That's coming

Junior Varsity
    Why are all you libs so upset about this issue? IIRC 100% of the posters give Obama credit for making the call. The objection comes from his use of the killing of OBL as a campaign tool despite he himself being on record saying "spiking the football" shouldn't be done and criticizing Hillary for doing exactly what he's doing now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warhorse View Post
    Thank God for Obama saving and transforming our economy albeit slower than any (including him) would like.

Quote Originally Posted by HuZkurZ View Post
    Why are all you libs so upset about this issue? IIRC 100% of the posters give Obama credit for making the call. The objection comes from his use of the killing of OBL as a campaign tool despite he himself being on record saying "spiking the football" shouldn't be done and criticizing Hillary for doing exactly what he's doing now.
    Don't worry, liberals are still open-minded, fair, and objective. They're just mad at me for raising the issue.

Society Crazy Indeed
    well I guess when you have a cat like Mitt....today he'd make the call back in 2008 he said

1. Romney said GET PERMISSION FROM PAKISTAN FIRST, and IT IS NOT WORTH THE MONEY TOKILL JUST ONE MAN when he was asked about getting Bin Laden in 2008, .

I cannot be bought, compromised, detoured, lured away, turned back, deluded, or delayed. I will not flinch in the face of sacrifice, hesitate in the presence of adversity, negotiate at the table of the enemy, ponder at the pool of popularity, or meander in the maze of mediocrity.I wont give up, shut up, let up, until I have stayed up, stored up, prayed up, paid up, and showed up for all wounded children.

That's not what the original post is about. If the original post had been about Obama parading the death of OBL as a campaign issue, I would have agreed with it 100%. Instead it was about some manufactured fake claim that Obama didn't really order the operation.
    "The distinctive mark of the Christian, today more than ever, must be love for the poor, the weak, the suffering." Pope John Paul II

Scout Team
    Is it any different from Bush's "Mission Accomplished" sign?
    Paddle faster, I hear banjo music!

Junior Varsity
    well I guess when you have a cat like Mitt....today he'd make the call back in 2008 he said

1. Romney said GET PERMISSION FROM PAKISTAN FIRST, and IT IS NOT WORTH THE MONEY TOKILL JUST ONE MAN when he was asked about getting Bin Laden in 2008, .

That's a legit issue and Mitt will have to answer to it.
    Thank God for Obama saving and transforming our economy albeit slower than any (including him) would like.

Quote Originally Posted by ChitownHusker View Post
    That's not what the original post is about. If the original post had been about Obama parading the death of OBL as a campaign issue, I would have agreed with it 100%. Instead it was about some manufactured fake claim that Obama didn't really order the operation.
    I think the main idea of the original post is that Obama had no choice. Yes, he made the call, but it would have been politically disastrous had he not okayed the mission.

Part of the claim is they had OBL in their sites on an earlier occasion and Obama passed.

That's a legit issue and Mitt will have to answer to it.
    What Mitt said is that he would prefer to have the cooperation of allies like Pakistan rather than operating unilaterally. That is an admirable principle, but I am guessing that Romney would have kept the OBL operation a secret from Pakistan too given their penchant for leaking like a sieve when we did inform them ahead of time. In any event, Politifact rated Obama's ad on Romney's position as "half true" which I think is generous.

Our ruling

An Obama campaign ad suggested Mitt Romney wouldn’t have agressively pursued Osama bin Laden by citing Romney's statement that, "It's not worth moving heaven and earth and spending billions of dollars just trying to catch one person."

The Obama campaign is right that Romney used those words, but by cherry-picking them, it glosses over comments describing his broader approach. Romney said he wanted to pursue all of al-Qaida, not just its leaders. The reporter quoting him in April 2007 said he instead "endorsed a broader strategy to defeat the Islamic jihad movement." And he said just over a week later that he would "get Osama bin Laden and track him wherever he has to go, and make sure he pays for the outrage he exacted upon America … he is going to pay, and he will die."

Still, Romney was clear later that summer that he would prefer to participate with allies rather than take unilateral action to kill terrorists as Obama supported — and later did. The ad takes Romney’s words out of context, but gets part of the story right. We rate it Half True.
    http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-me...ing-bin-laden/
    "The distinctive mark of the Christian, today more than ever, must be love for the poor, the weak, the suffering." Pope John Paul II

Travel Squad

Quote Originally Posted by OmaHusker View Post
    Part of the claim is they had OBL in their sites on an earlier occasion and Obama passed.
    That is not my understanding. Rather, they found OBL's suspected whereabouts in October, 2010, but wanted absolute confirmation, as well as time to fully plan the operation. They probably would only get one bite of the apple and needed to make sure it was successful.
    "Those mothers would rather see the country go down in flames than let the times change."

-- Samuel L. Jackson

Society Crazy Indeed
    I think the main idea of the original post is that Obama had no choice. Yes, he made the call, but it would have been politically disastrous had he not okayed the mission.

You got to know when to hold em and know when to fold em.

I cannot be bought, compromised, detoured, lured away, turned back, deluded, or delayed. I will not flinch in the face of sacrifice, hesitate in the presence of adversity, negotiate at the table of the enemy, ponder at the pool of popularity, or meander in the maze of mediocrity.I wont give up, shut up, let up, until I have stayed up, stored up, prayed up, paid up, and showed up for all wounded children.

They never knew that OBL was there with any certainty. Had they invaded the compound and OBL not been there, or had the mission been a failure with a couple dozen dead Navy SEALs, or had there been open combat between those SEALs and Pakistan, it would have been even more politically disasterous. He did have a choice, it was a difficult choise fraught with risk either way, and he did make the right call.

In any event, you are quoting some ex-Navy SEAL as saying that the president ddn't really make the call, but that the people who know the "truth" can't talk about it. That is nonsense.

Travel Squad

You got to know when to hold em and know when to fold em.
    Psychologically, how does one fold em when holding em is one's entire life, day after day, thread after thread?

-- Samuel L. Jackson

Junior Varsity
    Quote Originally Posted by Husker in Spokane View Post
    Is it any different from Bush's "Mission Accomplished" sign?
    It was premature, IMO and he took hits for it. I do think W understood there is no I in team not sure about Obama.

Travel Squad

Quote Originally Posted by ChitownHusker View Post
    In any event, you are quoting some ex-Navy SEAL as saying that the president ddn't really make the call,
    Or someone who claims to be an ex-Navy SEAL. This person's posting the information makes the likelihood that he is in fact an ex-Navy SEAL even more unlikely.

-- Samuel L. Jackson

Society Crazy Indeed
    It was premature, IMO and he took hits for it. I do think W understood there is no I in team not sure about Obama.
    no but there is a.... ME

Society Crazy Indeed
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    Or someone who claims to be an ex-Navy SEAL. This person's posting the information makes the likelihood that he is in fact an ex-Navy SEAL even more unlikely.

Being a Seal doent make em the brightest bulb on the tree ....only the toughest

Society Crazy Indeed
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    Psychologically, how does one fold em when holding em is one's entire life, day after day, thread after thread?

who would I know that...I'm a prize short of a happy meal

Travel Squad

Being a Seal doent make em the brightest bulb on the tree ....only the toughest
    Point taken.

-- Samuel L. Jackson