Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I want teams in the playoff to be Conference Champions.

Starter

Quote Originally Posted by the fountainhead View Post
    I agree. I think it is odd that Alabama lost to LSU last year in the regular season and was then awarded a rematch without even winning their division...
    That is known as respect. Respect for the team and the conference. That respect is easily justified.

Red Shirt
    Quote Originally Posted by bilsker View Post
    That's already the way it is now...with 2 less teams that care. Only SEC teams can afford to lose a game in the regular season...once you do you are done for the most part. Season over in week 4! yay!

A playoff system with a requirement to win your conference actually makes it so you can afford to possibly lose a game early in the conference season and get back in the mix...meaning MORE teams have something to play for for MORE of the season.
    Right. That way it is now sucks. If we are going to make it better why not make it even better.

All American
    Personally, I don't think anyone outside of the top 8 can make a real argument they deserve to be national champion. A small number of teams eligible for the "Four Team event" keeps the regular season relevant.

I think four teams is a good number, 8 is the absolute max.

I think conference champions should automatically qualify for the event. That in essence doubles the teams that participate in this tournament.

Win your division. Qualify for CCG (eight teams will do this). Win CCG, and you are in Four Team Event.

I could see two at-larges being added, at some point.
    Go Big Red!

I disagree with this because it pretty much makes the assumption that the 4 best teams (or 8 or hower many teams are in the playoff) are always going to be conference champions. So with a 4 team playoff last year here is how your system would have worked:
    1 LSU vs 4 Oregon (USC is ineligible)
    2 Oklahoma St vs 3 Stanford

Notice anyone missing...like the BCS champion Alabama? The regular season still matters it just doesn't mean you have to win your conference. I think what's wrong with your proposal is that it assumes all conferences are equally strong, which clearly isn't true. I'd rather see the 4 best teams than the 4 conference champs.

There's already controversy even with this example though lol. Oregon should be seeded ahead of Stanford since they beat them in my opinion. The problem is Stanford had one loss and Oregon had two ... but I don't think Oregon should be punished for scheduling LSU and Stanford's best out of conference opponent was Notre Dame. If USC had been eligible to play in the pac 12 championship this mess may have been able to be avoided by Oregon beating USC. Anywho...looks like we should expand to 8 teams to avoid this sort of problem

Quote Originally Posted by Husker Country Doc View Post
    Personally, I don't think anyone outside of the top 8 can make a real argument they deserve to be national champion. A small number of teams eligible for the "Four Team event" keeps the regular season relevant.
    I agree with this if you institute my proposed policy that an undefeated team ranked lower than 8 in the BCS gets in over the lowest ranking BCS team (ie undefeated houston gets in over 8. 12-1 Boise St.
    I think four teams is a good number, 8 is the absolute max.
    Agreed
    I think conference champions should automatically qualify for the event. That in essence doubles the teams that participate in this tournament.
    If this is done then you'll have to expand the field quite a bit...thus making the post season longer ... which will probably necessitate shortening the regular season. There are 12 FBS conferences. I actually kind of like this idea now that I'm writing about it....hmmm....

How about this? I'll flesh this idea out in full later but conference champs are automatically in (there are 12 FBS conferences) and there are 6 at large bids. So a field of 18. There are a couple play in games. You trim the regular season by a game or two so the kids don't have to play so many games....