Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Notre Dame and Rutgers to BIG 10????

Junior Varsity

Notre Dame and Rutgers to BIG 10????

Now that the BCS is moving to a 4 team play-off that is set to start in 2014 and ND's K with NBC is up in 2015, it seems logical that the conference would start to go after ND again.

They simply cannot stay independent for too much longer, especially if they have average-to-sub-par seasons in '12 and '13. They will be forced into a move soon and I hope Delaney gets this thing rolling now.

Get ND and Rutgers. The conference goes to 14 teams (same as SEC). Conference footprint is ten states, as JD has long alluded to = Big 10. NYC now joins a conference footprint that already has Chicago, Detroit, Minneapolis, Cleveland, and Philadelphia. That is a pretty impressive footprint with a ton of TV's.

Now let's get-r-done and start prepping to get to the Top 4 in 2014.

GO BIG RED!!!

Scout Team
    Remember that the playoff announcement was made by the BCS Conference Commissioners plus Notre Dame. The Irish always get special consideration.

Right now, the seeding for the playoffs is TBD. If they go with the Top 4 BCS teams, Notre Dame has no compelling reason to join a conference. If they mandate conference winners AND reduce ND's sweetheart status, then the Irish may jump.

As for expansion, I'm sold on Notre Dame because they live up to the "expansion standard." But Rutgers? I get the academic angle, but not the prestige part.

Which one of these is not like the other: Penn State, Nebraska, Notre Dame, Rutgers? I'll give you a clue - three of them are all in the Top 10 Most Winning Teams, the Top 15 Total National Titles, and each have at least one Heisman Winner. And then there's Rutgers, who played in the very first intercollegiate football game and they do some nifty stuff with books and science and crap.
    5 National Titles. 9 Undefeated Seasons. 50 Bowl Appearances. 43 Conference Championships. 10 Division Titles.

3 Heisman Winners. 54 Consensus All-Americans. 28 Major Award Winners. 23 College Football Hall of Famers.

There is No Place Like Nebraska.

#1 Husker Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by DuckTownHusker View Post
    Remember that the playoff announcement was made by the BCS Conference Commissioners plus Notre Dame. The Irish always get special consideration.

Right now, the seeding for the playoffs is TBD. If they go with the Top 4 BCS teams, Notre Dame has no compelling reason to join a conference. If they mandate conference winners AND reduce ND's sweetheart status, then the Irish may jump.

As for expansion, I'm sold on Notre Dame because they live up to the "expansion standard." But Rutgers? I get the academic angle, but not the prestige part.

Which one of these is not like the other: Penn State, Nebraska, Notre Dame, Rutgers? I'll give you a clue - three of them are all in the Top 10 Most Winning Teams, the Top 15 Total National Titles, and each have at least one Heisman Winner. And then there's Rutgers, who played in the very first intercollegiate football game and they do some nifty stuff with books and science and crap.
    And then there's Rutgers and the millions of viewers in the New Jersey and New York City areas.
    I would give my life for anyone one of them as i would my own family. -Pops

It doesn’t matter if the glass is half full or half empty. What matters is you have a glass that has something in it. Some people have no glass, or have a glass with nothing in it. So appreciate all that is in your life and quit questioning whether your glass in half full or half empty.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Husker Fan

no thank you.

Rollin' Huskers
    Wherever our RV is parked - currently Lincoln Nebraska
    Quote Originally Posted by DuckTownHusker View Post

This
    GBR
    Badger by birth - Husker by choice !!!

Your thread title is very misleading....
    Notre Dame only had one Rudy but Nebraska gets a new crop of Rudys every season

JV All-Star
    It is misleading ...i got anxious there for a second...however..i agree with rutgers...they bring in a ton of tv sets and well....i have no problem bringing in a whipping boy that has the ability to reel off a couple good years here and there
    Hard pressed on my right. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver. Situation excellent. I am attacking.

pray for me ;)
    Quote Originally Posted by II HUSKERS II View Post
    It is misleading ...i got anxious there for a second...however..i agree with rutgers...they bring in a ton of tv sets and well....i have no problem bringing in a whipping boy that has the ability to reel off a couple good years here and there
    Sounds like you are describing both of them.
    Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.Bill Watterson, cartoonist, "Calvin and Hobbes"

Gunga galunga. Gunga....
    I agree you take Rutgers considering what's available to be poached. Besides, if you're taking a trip to the East Coast in the fall, you might as well make it the NYC metroplex. Rutgers is a short train ride away.
    Nebraska fans, this is called someone in your conference having your back…welcome to the Big Ten. - HawkeyeNation

All Legend
    I don't really think ND will join the Big Ten Conference. Their loss.
    It's a great day to be a Husker Fan!
    Live By The Code!
    (28-13-3) GATA If you see a skunk in the middle of the road, do you run it over or let it live? That is a quandary?

Red Shirt

This thread title is misleading and should be changed. Not funny.

Quote Originally Posted by G33K View Post
    This thread title is misleading and should be changed. Not funny.
    This. It should be Why I think ND and Rutgers are going to the BIG 10.

Quote Originally Posted by SBHusker View Post
    And then there's Rutgers and the millions of viewers in the New Jersey and New York City areas.
    They might be in the footprint of millions of viewers but it doesn't mean those viewers care. When I think of Rutgers, I think of a decent mid major team. They have definitely been respectable lately, but when I was growing up they were consistently one of the worst Div 1A teams. I think they have a lot of attributes that make them attractive to the B1G, but I think the conference can do better if it has to pick up a couple more teams. It would definitely be a good thing to get the B1G footprint in New Jersey, but I don't know that we need to invite Rutgers to get that inroad

Scout Team
    Quote Originally Posted by SBHusker View Post
    This argument always gets floated for Rutgers and its a crappy one.

NYC is firstly a pro town. The Jets and Giants mean way more than college. Secondly, the demographic is mixed. NYC might have millions, but their allegience is split among Rutgers, PSU, Syracuse, Pitt, Boston College, Navy, and even Maryland, V.Tech, and Notre Dame. Now factor the millions of non native New Yorkers and you'll probably get big chunks of fans from Texas, Oklahoma, Nebraska and the other blue bloods.
    5 National Titles. 9 Undefeated Seasons. 50 Bowl Appearances. 43 Conference Championships. 10 Division Titles.

3 Heisman Winners. 54 Consensus All-Americans. 28 Major Award Winners. 23 College Football Hall of Famers.

There is No Place Like Nebraska.

Junior Varsity
    Misleading title? Sue me for literary license. I see it more as catchy!

Regarding Rutgers and the NYC TV market; It does not matter whether the people in the TV market are huge fans or not. Being in the foot print is an in for the BTN, and they get on the basic cable packages and collect revenues. Thus whether the market is saturated with fans or not, the BTN will make a huge chunk if they get into the NYC, NJ markets.

I really think this needs to be done ASAP, or at least before the start of the 2014 season.

What exactly is NBC getting with the TV rights to ND football right now? How about if they go 7-5 and 8-4 the next two years?

This system is clearly going to de-emphasize the "BCS" games, i.e. the Sugar, Orange, Fiesta and the GDOTA, unless they are part of the 4 Team Playoff(4TP).
    So, if those bowls are not part of the playoff, they will not hold as much weight as they do under the current system. The current system allows ND to try to hold on to some relevance, if they can end up in a "BCS" bowl by being a Top 8-10 caliber team.

What happens if those bowl games end up outside the BCS structure and just back to regular bowl game status? Sure they might pay some money, garner a little bit of attention, but the real action will be the BCS 4TP.

That, and conference championship games(CCG). If the bowls do not end up as part of the BCS 4TP, they will probable still have significant ties to Conference Champions. So, to be relevant in that respect you have to be playing for a conference championship.

So what will NBC get with an exclusive contract for the TV rights to ND? If they are hoping for a team that has some sort of national or regional relevance, they might not even come close. If we look at the trends, about every 15-20 years, ND might field a Top 5 team. But as an independent, with high academic standards and the need to schedule hard games, it does not look good for them putting together Top 5 teams year in and out, IMO. TV execs are going to see that and be skeptical to drop huge loads of cash on a product the is out of step with the rest of the sport. Rivalry games only go so far, when their stakes literally mean nothing. ND v. UMich, Standford, etc.

ND is living off their history and successful model from the early 90's. They will soon be forced into the realities of modern college football which is CCG’s and the new BCS 4TP!

I think it is time for JD to have a man-to-man with Swarbuck and make him an offer he simply can't refuse!