Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What gutsy call?

Quote Originally Posted by Huskers57 View Post
    it was a good call. OBL is dead.
    This.

Not sure it was very gutsy but definitely worth the effort.
    "The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- (Thomas Jefferson)
    “Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you.” -- (Benjamin Franklin)

Quote Originally Posted by huskernut View Post
    My best guess is that this is a complete non-issue. Breitbart is just being partisan. I'll bet such a provision is pretty standard for such high level actions.

I used to work in an investment business where the investment committee would decide to put up to $20 million at risk. Approval had to be granted before the deals were fully negotiated, and inevitably things would change both in the terms and conditions of the transactions and in the underlying businesses before the deal would close. We just used some boilerplate language to the effect that approval for the investment was granted subject to no material changes. That's pretty much the same thing that is happening here.
    Exactly. This is a complete non-issue. It's sad that people work so hard to deprive the president of the right to take credit for what is a legitimate accomplishment.

HuzKurz, give me an honest answer on this. If a Republican president had ordered this operation and it had succeeded, and Huffington Post had come out with the exact same article, would you agree with HuffPo on this, or would you see this as a pathetic partisan attempt to discredit a legitimate accomplishment?
    "The distinctive mark of the Christian, today more than ever, must be love for the poor, the weak, the suffering." Pope John Paul II

Oh my!
    He should get credit for killing Bin Laden and also for this:

Republican Sen. John McCain on Friday blasted President Barack Obama for casting doubt on whether Mitt Romney would have ordered the raid that killed Osama bin Laden, calling it "a cheap political attack." The Obama campaign leveled its attack in a new campaign ad.
    And this:

"This is the same President who said, after bin Laden was dead, that we shouldn't 'spike the ball' after the touchdown. And now Barack Obama is not only trying to score political points by invoking Osama bin Laden, he is doing a shameless end-zone dance to help himself get reelected," the senator thundered.
    http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/m...232157971.html
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." Ayn Rand

"Hillary has been cheated on more than a blind woman playing Scrabble. With gypsies." Dennis Miller

Heisman

maybe mccain should go out into the sunset and retire! his time has passed...and what thunder? he barely registers a whimper nowadays.

Oh my!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Point View Post
    It was a gutsy call by all involved. I don't think that can be disputed. If it had failed, would we even know? The US killed Usama and we still don't know the exact details of the event. The failed attack under Bush at Tora Bora wasn't a major downfall for him, so I don't think a failed attempt under Obama would have derailed his presidency (other issues will, should be not be re-elected).

However, there is a certain amount of irony in a Nobel Peace Prize recipient politicizing 'making the call' on killing someone, even if it is OBL.

EDIT - I should add that it is asinine for anyone to act as if the call is 'gutsy' for some politician. The call was 'gutsy' for our military members who are out there putting their neck on the line. Politicians on both sides view military actions as nothing more than playing with plastic green military men. On the whole I do not feel they respect or value the potential loss of life when sending our men and women to God-forsaken countries putting their lives on the line.
    This stands out to be even more true when you portray yourself as being the only person who will make the call and insinuating that someone who opposes you in an election wouldn't have done the same.
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." Ayn Rand

"Hillary has been cheated on more than a blind woman playing Scrabble. With gypsies." Dennis Miller

Recruit
    It was the right call. It was not gutsy. The ones carrying out the raid were gutsy. The US military gathered the intel and pulled it off. BTW, there are those in military circles who report Seal Team 6 did not carry out the raid - it was actually Delta Force-- no source here and no joke either.
    Obama is not a military leader. A military leader would not gut the armed forces budget and say we don't need a large standing army any more and we can't afford it. A military leader would not jack up spending beyond comprehension, creating a budget crisis, and then tell the military to cut $500 billion from its annual budget. A military leader would not publicly state that special forces can take care of our nation's military needs now. A military leader would not abandon the US policy of having a sufficient standiing army to fight 2 wars at the same time.
    Give Obama credit for making the right call to kill OBL. It was a no-brainer. It was not gutsy. And Obama is no military leader.
    "I'm not allowed to argue with you until you've paid."

Heisman

we should never had a policy to fight 2 wars at the same time...that was stupid. Obama is more of a military leader than Bush ever was.

we should never had a policy to fight 2 wars at the same time...that was stupid. Obama is more of a military leader than Bush ever was.
    And I had actually agreed with you in this thread...up until now.

NOT 2 wars...2 battlefields in the same war.

I'd also wager it's much easier, and makes one look more the hero, to be able to "bring the troops home." Making the "gutsy" call to send troops into harms way, especially when some feel they shouldn't be there, are good qualitys of a military leader.
    "The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- (Thomas Jefferson)
    “Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you.” -- (Benjamin Franklin)

Heisman

Quote Originally Posted by redmachine View Post
    And I had actually agreed with you in this thread...up until now.

NOT 2 wars...2 battlefields in the same war.

I'd also wager it's much easier, and makes one look more the hero, to be able to "bring the troops home." Making the "gutsy" call to send troops into harms way, especially when some feel they shouldn't be there, are good qualitys of a military leader.

For me, it wasn't about bringing the troops home. It was about better planning and strategy when confronted with the possibility of conflict. You do have a point kind of with the 2 battle fields in the same war. My question is the theatre in which they were played out. Iraq and Afghanistan are 2 completely different theatres, you can't really compare the 2. Also the purposes/reasons for going into both theatres were different, not the same in my opinion. Obama has sent troops in also against the majority opinion. In fact I actually supported the Afghanistan theatre but was opposed to the Iraq one. Hope that makes sense?

Had time to watch the ad. Not as bad as I was expecting.

Given that there are Republicans comparing Obama to Jimmy Carter, I'd say it's a smart campaign move.

It pretty much just uses Romney's own words against him, which will continue to be a problem for Romney as the election moves along. His pandering to the far right will provide plenty of sound bites, and deservedly so.

Who is Mitt Romney and what would he do? Not real trustworthy at this point.

Oh my!
    Quote Originally Posted by RedBlack&Blue View Post
    Had time to watch the ad. Not as bad as I was expecting.

Given that there are Republicans comparing Obama to Jimmy Carter, I'd say it's a smart campaign move.

It pretty much just uses Romney's own words against him, which will continue to be a problem for Romney as the election moves along. His pandering to the far right will provide plenty of sound bites, and deservedly so.

Who is Mitt Romney and what would he do? Not real trustworthy at this point.
    Just like the sound bytes from Obama's pandering to the left and right... That said our current president did say we shouldn't spike the ball and here he does it for his own political gain while trying to insinuate that his opponent wouldn't do that. It is odd when the majority of the poeple in this thread are focusing on the military personel fortitude and bravery, do you think they did that for his political gain?

Quote Originally Posted by Red_in_Blue_Land View Post
    Just like the sound bytes from Obama's pandering to the left and right... That said our current president did say we shouldn't spike the ball and here he does it for his own political gain while trying to insinuate that his opponent wouldn't do that. It is odd when the majority of the poeple in this thread are focusing on the military personel fortitude and bravery, do you think they did that for his political gain?
    Get a grip.

It's a political ad.

Republicans have tried, at least at some points, to paint Obama as a weak POTUS, as a 2nd Carter.

So, he's fighting back.

Like Pubs haven't used the military for political gain. Give me a break. I sat in a citizenship ceremony and listened to a taped speech about America's greatness from W (which was fine) that was quickly followed by several minutes of video on our military (the length and prominence was overdone and too closely tied to W). Pubs wrap themselves in the flag and around veterans groups as fast as Dems do.

Get off your high horses on this one. It was relatively benign, but it did expose some dumb remarks from your candidate, which I suspect is what bugs you the most.

Oh my!
    Get a grip.

It's a political ad.

Republicans have tried, at least at some points, to paint Obama as a weak POTUS, as a 2nd Carter.

So, he's fighting back.

Like Pubs haven't used the military for political gain. Give me a break. I sat in a citizenship ceremony and listened to a taped speech about America's greatness from W (which was fine) that was quickly followed by several minutes of video on our military (the length and prominence was overdone and too closely tied to W). Pubs wrap themselves in the flag and around veterans groups as fast as Dems do.

Get off your high horses on this one. It was relatively benign, but it did expose some dumb remarks from your candidate, which I suspect is what bugs you the most.
    I have a grip, I am posting my feelings, that what this board is for. When someone disagrees with your views do you always claim them to be crazy? So lets talk about the dumb remark our current president did say, we shouldn't spike the ball and here he does it for his own political gain. I am suspecting that bothers you.

Quote Originally Posted by Red_in_Blue_Land View Post
    I have a grip, I am posting my feelings, that what this board is for. When someone disagrees with your views do you always claim them to be crazy? So lets talk about the dumb remark our current president did say, we shouldn't spike the ball and here he does it for his own political gain. I am suspecting that bothers you.
    I didn't say you were crazy, and didn't mean it that way. Apologies.

Specifically, the idea that he's exploiting the military is what was referring to -- those on the right will wave the flag for political gain as fast as those on the left.

Sure, when one's candidate steps in it, it's bothersome. Not sure what dumb remark you're referring to. He's made a few, as they all have.

The problem with Romney is that he won't be able to put distance between himself and the nutty side of his party. Obama isn't nearly as tied to the nutty left as Romney is to the nutty right.

Oh my!
    I didn't say you were crazy, and didn't mean it that way. Apologies.

Specifically, the idea that he's exploiting the military is what was referring to -- those on the right will wave the flag for political gain as fast as those on the left.

Sure, when one's candidate steps in it, it's bothersome. Not sure what dumb remark you're referring to. He's made a few, as they all have.

The problem with Romney is that he won't be able to put distance between himself and the nutty side of his party. Obama isn't nearly as tied to the nutty left as Romney is to the nutty right.
    I would contend that what I would consider nutty leftists you wouldn't. There is plenty of things that Obama is attached to nutty leftists in a big way that he will not be able to distance himself from Obamacare to the Keystone pipeline vs. nutty environmentalists, emissions trading, carbon tax, wealth redistribution, alternative / green energy that can only replace a fraction of what is required, etc...

Junior Varsity
    Quote Originally Posted by ChitownHusker View Post
    Exactly. This is a complete non-issue. It's sad that people work so hard to deprive the president of the right to take credit for what is a legitimate accomplishment.

HuzKurz, give me an honest answer on this. If a Republican president had ordered this operation and it had succeeded, and Huffington Post had come out with the exact same article, would you agree with HuffPo on this, or would you see this as a pathetic partisan attempt to discredit a legitimate accomplishment?
    Yes, because it would be just that. Never have I said I believed the content of the article. Ribl brings up a valid point about Obama saying we shouldn't spike the ball and he is doing just that.

You honestly believe Obama went all in as Biden proclaims with the decision to get obl?
    Quote Originally Posted by Warhorse View Post
    Thank God for Obama saving and transforming our economy albeit slower than any (including him) would like.

Recruit
    There is no goal to fight 2 wars at the same time. The goal is to fight no wars at all, and you are in better position to do that if you have a capable fighting force, not a decimated fighting force. The goal is to have the ability to have sufficient forces such that if you are in one conflict, you are not vulnerable on a 2nd front. Obama is no military leader. He has no appreciation for the role of "Big Army." Big Army and special forces have different roles. We need both.
    "I'm not allowed to argue with you until you've paid."

Heisman

Quote Originally Posted by One Man Jury View Post
    There is no goal to fight 2 wars at the same time. The goal is to fight no wars at all, and you are in better position to do that if you have a capable fighting force, not a decimated fighting force. The goal is to have the ability to have sufficient forces such that if you are in one conflict, you are not vulnerable on a 2nd front. Obama is no military leader. He has no appreciation for the role of "Big Army." Big Army and special forces have different roles. We need both.
    okay. thanks for your opinion.

Husker Immortal
    Man, that Obama's got a big pair.

I mean, he took out bin Laden, tackled the health care problem that Clinton and Bush both avoided (whether you like the solution or not, he took it head on), had the nerve to call for billions of dollars in spending to save the economy (again, argue whether it was right or wrong -- he took action, dammit), has PO'd his base with a tax cut deal, helped with 20+ months of economic growth, sheparded the stock market back, helped drop unemployment.

I mean, he's not perfect, but even his foes have got to give it up to this guy for taking on big issues head on, including eliminating America's No. 1 enemy of the 21st Century.
    Careful, you'll be accused of treason! No matter what is said or done, Barack Obama can't do anything right, period. He is a marked man, even if he cures poverty!

Travel Squad
    Quote Originally Posted by One Man Jury View Post
    After 75 posts, that ax must be good and sharp, huh OMJ?
    “If it is not right do not do it; if it is not true do not say it.” Marcus Aurelius