Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.

Thread: Racist messages on Twitter follow Capitals’ goal

Angry Racist messages on Twitter follow Capitals’ goal

This sort of stuff just makes me so angry in this day and age....

Washington Capitals forward Joel Ward was the hero of Wednesday night’s Game 7 of the Capitals-Bruins NHL playoff series, but his shining moment was followed by racial epithets posted to Twitter in the hours after the game.

Ward scored the game-winning goal in overtime to lead the Capitals to a 2-1 victory and eliminate the Bruins from the playoffs.

http://bostonglobe.com/sports/2012/0...QwO/story.html
    Notre Dame only had one Rudy but Nebraska gets a new crop of Rudys every season

There are good sides, and bad sides to twitter. IMO, instinces like this will end up being the downfall of twitter. Good for Ward though, to brush this type of stuff off. Why should he care about some idiots posting idiotic stuff on twitter?

There was a time when African-Americans wouldn't have been allowed in the same area as whites. While racial slurs are uncalled for, we've come a long way since the Jim Crow days. And, yes, we all have a ways to go. And, yes, we will never be all the way there.

No place for it in the USA today....because its hateful is why I would care....and its tell-tale that we still have a certain part of the population that judges someone by the color of their skin....in 2012 I find that very sad....but am not the least bit surprised...

We both know we have seen and heard that with the black players on the USMNT when they play in other countries...

Quote Originally Posted by Porkchopexpress View Post
    There are good sides, and bad sides to twitter. IMO, instinces like this will end up being the downfall of twitter. Good for Ward though, to brush this type of stuff off. Why should he care about some idiots posting idiotic stuff on twitter?

Quote Originally Posted by Red Reign View Post
    No place for it in the USA today....because its hateful is why I would care....and its tell-tale that we still have a certain part of the population that judges someone by the color of their skin....in 2012 I find that very sad....but am not the least bit surprised...

We both know we have seen and heard that with the black players on the USMNT when they play in other countries...
    Ward nails it:
    Ward told USA Today that the messages were “shocking to see, but it didn’t ruin my day.”

Added Ward to the paper: “It doesn’t faze me at all. We won, and we are moving on. … People are going to say what they want to say.”
    I agree there's no place for it but if Ward, to his credit, can brush it off, I can too.

You can't just brush off racism...its not that easy....and thats the problem if we fail to face it and stop it then it will go on....to his teammates and the NHL credit....they didn't brush it off...nor should they....

"Halpern just took offense that people weren't talking about the goal, (but rather) getting into racist remarks," Ward said. "I think he was telling me had my back, and felt bad that (some Twitter users) were talking about the negative side, instead of how we are moving on."

The NHL, in a statement, said, "The racially charged comments distributed via digital media following last night's game were ignorant and unacceptable. The people responsible for these comments have no place associating themselves with our game."
    http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hocke...iew/54557232/1

Quote Originally Posted by OmaHusker View Post
    Ward nails it:

I agree there's no place for it but if Ward, to his credit, can brush it off, I can too.

pray for me ;)
    Its a bunch of BS for sure. No place for it in society but it will always be there unfortunately.
    Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.Bill Watterson, cartoonist, "Calvin and Hobbes"

pray for me ;)
    Statement from the Boston Bruins:

"The Bruins are very disappointed by the racist comments that were made following the game last night. These classless, ignorant views are in no way a reflection of anyone associated with the Bruins organization."
    Exactly.
    Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.Bill Watterson, cartoonist, "Calvin and Hobbes"

Husker Fan

There are good sides, and bad sides to twitter. IMO, instinces like this will end up being the downfall of twitter.
    another example: today's news.

http://espn.go.com/chicago/nba/story...bulls-torn-acl