Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: The real George Zimmerman

Scout Team
    Quote Originally Posted by Squatchsker View Post
    You say tomato, I say manslaughter.

For someone that is from what I can tell a believer in consequences for your actions, you sure take a left turn at Albequerque on this one.
    If I turned left at Albequerque, I'd end up in Mexico

That assumes that you don't believe Martin's actions should have consequences as well. Both of these guys got a lot more than they bargained for.

Husker Fan

Quote Originally Posted by RedRum View Post
    Albuquerque. respect.

Scout Team
    Quote Originally Posted by Huskers57 View Post
    Albuquerque. respect.
    I'm being serious, I live in Amarillo

Actually his awe shucks ended with him getting beat up.

For Martin, beating up Zimmerman ended up with him getting shot.
    This version of events--and I think we can all agree that we're still getting information on what exactly happened--sure does seem to overlook a civilian with a gun chasing Martin down.

This take on Zimmerman certainly does bring more to light but it doesn't appear to cancel out the facts of that evening, even if it speaks to Zimmerman's character. I suspect he'll probably beat the charges based on the problematic law that supposedly enabled this 'self defense.'

Intellectual Patriot
    I'm being serious, I live in Amarillo
    Unless you are heading back from Aluquerque.
    Life Lesson: DO NOT LET THE MAN KEEP YOU DOWN! http://forum.huskermax.com/vbbs/show...er-King-Jr-Day
    "Yeah, saw that only Larry, Moe, and Curly had chimed-in before the thread was locked. C'est la vie when the cumulative IQ of those 3 shxxxeads is something less than 200, with Squatch nailing down 3rd place. Almost not worth the keystroke time expended reporting those twits, however..."

I love fan mail.

Scout Team
    Quote Originally Posted by Showman View Post
    This version of events--and I think we can all agree that we're still getting information on what exactly happened--sure does seem to overlook a civilian with a gun chasing Martin down.

This take on Zimmerman certainly does bring more to light but it doesn't appear to cancel out the facts of that evening, even if it speaks to Zimmerman's character. I suspect he'll probably beat the charges based on the problematic law that supposedly enabled this 'self defense.'
    "Civilian with a gun chasing Martin down". That's certainly not a version of events that is for sure. And Zimmerman having his gun drawn on someone at a distance would seem inconsistent with an ensuing struggle.

Is going up to someone you suspect of committing a crime and asking them what they are doing a crime? Is attacking someone for asking you what you are doing a crime, no matter how inappropriate the person may be for asking?

I would also add that Martin had been caught with stolen property in the past.

Scout Team
    Unless you are heading back from Aluquerque.
    You are right. I'd be pretty far left in Santa Fe.

Husker Fan

New York City, uh huh Center of the universe, sing it girl Times are ************ But I'm pretty sure they can't get worse, I hear that
    It's a comfort to know When you're singing the hit the road blues That anywhere else you could possibly go After New York would be, a pleasure cruise
    Now you're talking
    Well, I'm thwarted by a metaphysic puzzle And I'm sick of grading papers that I know And I'm shouting in my sleep, I need a muzzle All this misery pays no salary, so
    Let's open up a restaurant in Santa Fe Oh, sunny Santa Fe would be nice Let's open up a restaurant in Santa Fe And leave this to the roaches and mice
    Oh oh oh
    You teach? Yeah, I teach, computer age philosophy But my students would rather watch TV, America, America You're a sensitive aesthete Brush the sauce onto the meat
    You can make the menu sparkle with rhyme You can drum a gentle drum I could seat guests as they come Chatting not about Heidegger but wine
    Let's open up a restaurant in Santa Fe Our labors would reap financial gains We'll open up a restaurant in Santa Fe And save from devastation our brains
    We'll pack up all our junk and fly so far away Devote ourselves to projects that sell We'll open up a restaurant in Santa Fe Forget this cold Bohemian Hell
    Oh oh oh
    Do you know the way to Santa Fe? You know, Tumbleweeds, prairie dogs, yeah

http://www.metrolyrics.com/santa-fe-lyrics-rent.html

"Civilian with a gun chasing Martin down". That's certainly not a version of events that is for sure. And Zimmerman having his gun drawn on someone at a distance would seem inconsistent with an ensuing struggle.

Is going up to someone you suspect of committing a crime and asking them what they are doing a crime? Is attacking someone for asking you what you are doing a crime, no matter how inappropriate the person may be for asking?

I would also add that Martin had been caught with stolen property in the past.
    Seeing as this was an interaction between two complete strangers, I don't know that past personal histories make one bit of difference as far as the events of that fateful night go. Zimmerman didn't know if this kid had ever broken any laws, and Martin didn't know this guy was some kind of semi-deputized armed neighborhood watchman. Well, he did figure out he was armed.

I imagine if a stranger with a gun followed you down the street in his car, got out, chased you down and started asking you pointed questions about what you were up to, you would switch into Fight Or Flight mode yourself. We're pretty much hard-wired to do that, and I'd expect a young kid to fall back on those instincts even more than a grown-up.

Intellectual Patriot
    But you could pick up some good chiles while you are there.
    Life Lesson: DO NOT LET THE MAN KEEP YOU DOWN! http://forum.huskermax.com/vbbs/show...er-King-Jr-Day
    "Yeah, saw that only Larry, Moe, and Curly had chimed-in before the thread was locked. C'est la vie when the cumulative IQ of those 3 shxxxeads is something less than 200, with Squatch nailing down 3rd place. Almost not worth the keystroke time expended reporting those twits, however..."

I love fan mail.

Husker Fan

But you could pick up some good chiles while you are there.
    best in the world! respect.

That assumes that you don't believe Martin's actions should have consequences as well. Both of these guys got a lot more than they bargained for.
    I agree about Martin needing to face the consequences for his wrongful actions. What hasn't anyone said this before? Can we charge him with something posthumously so he doesn't get off scot-free like he has so far?
    "The distinctive mark of the Christian, today more than ever, must be love for the poor, the weak, the suffering." Pope John Paul II

Heisman

You say tomato, I say manslaughter.

For someone that is from what I can tell a believer in consequences for your actions, you sure take a left turn at Albequerque on this one.

I tend to agree with manslaughter, vs. the currently charged 2nd degree murder. And whether he beats the charges - would seem to turn on whether the jury ends up believing that he started the altercation, vs. Trayvon starting it. That's something I don't think there's incontrovertible evidence on in either direction, but I think that whatever the jury ultimately believes on that question after seeing all the evidence will be crucial.

My understanding is that they can (and probably will) move it down to manslaughter at some point. I also thought it was pretty clear that Zimmerman followed him and came up to him.

Heisman

My understanding is that they can (and probably will) move it down to manslaughter at some point. I also thought it was pretty clear that Zimmerman followed him and came up to him.
    We're all just speculating, but I've seen at least some speculation that based on timelines and other potential evidence, that although Zimmerman apparently initially followed him, that he had broken off before actually confronting him, and then Martin turned around and followed and confronted/attacked Zimmerman. That's why I say, I don't think we'll ever know for sure.