Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Elephant in the room?

Intellectual Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by Prairie Sage View Post
    If he were a Muslim and flew to France to defend women wearing a Burqa, what would your opinion of be?
    that he likes it with the lights off
    Life Lesson: DO NOT LET THE MAN KEEP YOU DOWN! http://forum.huskermax.com/vbbs/show...er-King-Jr-Day
    "Yeah, saw that only Larry, Moe, and Curly had chimed-in before the thread was locked. C'est la vie when the cumulative IQ of those 3 shxxxeads is something less than 200, with Squatch nailing down 3rd place. Almost not worth the keystroke time expended reporting those twits, however..."

I love fan mail.

Recruit

Ron is a Celebrity...Ever been to a rock concert where some guitar player starts telling you how to vote or who to support in an election? We didn't pay to hear this guy talk about this stuff. We paid to hear the songs. Play the songs!!! Ron should choose...Football Coach..Or Religious Guy. I bet most people come to listen to him because he is a Stud Football Coach. Dundee Presbyterian Church where Ron spoke happens to be my church. I don't want to hear divisive or worse coming from the pulpit of my church. If the church paid for his appearance, I'm truly bummed.

Intellectual Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by BakNthday View Post
    JIHAD

: a holy war waged on behalf of Islam as a religious duty; also : a personal struggle in devotion to Islam especially involving spiritual discipline

: a crusade for a principle or belief

Basically, Ron has embarked on what I would consider to be a sort of Christian Jihad. He is embolded by any critiscism, and, has set himself up to be a martyr for his cause. Usually, these kinds of situations don't end well.
    I like you again now.
    Life Lesson: DO NOT LET THE MAN KEEP YOU DOWN! http://forum.huskermax.com/vbbs/show...er-King-Jr-Day
    "Yeah, saw that only Larry, Moe, and Curly had chimed-in before the thread was locked. C'est la vie when the cumulative IQ of those 3 shxxxeads is something less than 200, with Squatch nailing down 3rd place. Almost not worth the keystroke time expended reporting those twits, however..."

I love fan mail.

Junior Varsity
    Quote Originally Posted by YUENGLING View Post
    When you are fired or punised in any way for speaking out on your religous beliefs you no longer live in a free country.
    If gays and lesbians don't have the same rights based on sexual orientation, is this country free for them?
    When I do good, I feel good; when I do bad, I feel bad, and that is my religion. - A. Lincoln

We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are. - Anais Nin

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. - Sir W. Churchill

Spend 50% of your time taking care of your business and 50% leaving everyone else's alone.

If Ron Brown truly treats gay and transgender people the same as everyone else...why does he have a problem with the ordinace? The ordinance protects LGBT residents against bias based on sexual orientation, and gender identity and applies to employers, employment agencies, job training programs, labor groups, public accommodations. So... the bill just basically says no discrimination based on sexual orientation and gender identity...and if he treats everyone the same he shouldn't be speaking out against this. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Recruit

Let's just spend our energy winning a rushing title, a Big Ten title or another NC...Everything "Husker" should always be great!

Scout Team
    All Christians are professed sinners Pops. Just a hunch though, but I bet Ron Brown would speak er.. preach out against sex out of marriage every time the topic comes up. I'd also bet my paycheck that sermon wouldn't start a three page thread though. I think he is getting painted a certain way to a degree.

Quote Originally Posted by Pops View Post
    I do find it odd that certain Christians pick out certain parts of the bible to be against and then preach about it...yet leave other certain parts talking about sex completely alone
    Didn't Ghandi say that the problem with Christianity is well Christians?
    “If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.”
    Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by rawkfanseth View Post
    If Ron Brown truly treats gay and transgender people the same as everyone else...why does he have a problem with the ordinace? The ordinance protects LGBT residents against bias based on sexual orientation, and gender identity and applies to employers, employment agencies, job training programs, labor groups, public accommodations. So... the bill just basically says no discrimination based on sexual orientation and gender identity...and if he treats everyone the same he shouldn't be speaking out against this. Correct me if I'm wrong.
    They are already protected under the present laws on the books, so there is no need to do so again simply under the guise of 'sexual orientation.' to do otherwise is simply an attempt at social engineering and created a protected class of citizen. "All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others. -George Orwell, 1984

Most humans make the mistake of thinking God is about rights and wrongs. We made the choice to partake of the tree of the "knowledge of good and evil" in the garden. God always has wanted us to have life -- past, present and future. Life is in a person, not a creed or set of rules. Figure that out and live in the acceptance God gives us and you'll live liberated and free. You can also be a refreshment to those around you. Think about all the "identities" people hang on themselves: gay, feminist, macho, christian, jew, muslim, republican, democrat, liberal, conservative and even "husker" fan.

All of them fall far short of the identity God offers. We need to grow out of the self imposed identities and accept the God provided one. Far from conforming to a set of rules we all fear, one can find a whole new basis for living and tail chasing becomes rather boring.

Recruit
    "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances." - The first amendment.

By it's own doing, the government can't make laws suited to any one religion. Ron Brown by advocating that the government should do just that is behaving unconstitutionally. Ron Brown must be anti-American.
    "Welcome to the night train." - Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
    "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances." - The first amendment.

By it's own doing, the government can't make laws suited to any one religion. Ron Brown by advocating that the government should do just that is behaving unconstitutionally. Ron Brown must be anti-American.
    . . . and in the process he's using his freedom of speech. So, what's the point?

Recruit
    Quote Originally Posted by beans View Post
    . . . and in the process he's using his freedom of speech. So, what's the point?
    Just wanted to join in and make my own immoderate statement.

Recruit
    Quote Originally Posted by Prairie Sage View Post
    If he were a Muslim and flew to France to defend women wearing a Burqa, what would your opinion of be?

First, If he's not being paid handsomely by the State of Nebraska-- Fine
    Secondly, if he were a self made millionaire in Lincoln--Fine

But he is neither, he is one of the best paid State employees and if he wants to expand his second job as a minister, maybe that's where he should concentrate his efforts and see how that works out. That's conviction!

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; .
    It says the govt. shall not 'establish' an official state religion, what it does not say is that its laws cannot be affected by its citizenry's application of their religion. HUGE difference.

Plus, Ron is freely exercising his religion and sharing its tenets. You would deny him this right so perfectly stated above?

Recruit
    Quote Originally Posted by YellowDent#2 View Post
    It says the govt. shall not 'establish' an official state religion, what it does not say is that its laws cannot be affected by its citizenry's application of their religion. HUGE difference.

Plus, Ron is freely exercising his religion and sharing its tenets. You would deny him this right so perfectly stated above?
    Just trying to make sure I'm squarely on one side of this and can't understand or listen to the other side. That's what we all want right?

Quote Originally Posted by YellowDent#2 View Post
    They are already protected under the present laws on the books, so there is no need to do so again simply under the guise of 'sexual orientation.' to do otherwise is simply an attempt at social engineering and created a protected class of citizen. "All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others. -George Orwell, 1984
    Be that as it may...Ron Brown isn't making that point. And this quote from USA TODAY clearly shows Ron Brown does not treat homosexuals the same as other groups nor does he think others should:
    He said gays and lesbians do not deserve the same protections as groups that historically have been discriminated against, such as blacks and women.
    http://www.usatoday.com/sports/colle...own/54542922/1

I don't care if this is what Ron Brown does on his free time, but don't tell me he treats everyone the same. He clearly wants gays and lesbians to be discriminated against. Doesn't he read from the bible to players during practice though? I am against that...

Vinny, Just pointing out that modern society often fails to make the distinction that our federal constitution says what it says, and not more.

It's pretty cliche these days to pick on Christians as being either 1) ignorant, 2) bigots, 3) intolerant or 4)Societal pariahs who are behind the more 'enlightened' classes. Ron Brown - as a man, not a coach- merely was making a case that his Lord's holy scripture posits a standard, a rule, when it comes to human sexual relations. Which is this:
    "Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination(Leviticus 18:22 KJV) Do you think there would be such a cry had he quoted John 3:16? or 3:18?(Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only Son of God.)

Intellectual Patriot
    Just trying to make sure I'm squarely on one side of this and can't understand or listen to the other side. That's what we all want right?
    You should come play in the Cafe' more often.

I love fan mail.

I don't get why certain Christians, like Ron Brown, are so vocal about this issue. They clearly don't believe everything the bible says
    "If a man lies with a male as with a women, both of them shall be put to death for their abominable deed; they have forfeited their lives." (Leviticus 20:13 NAB)
    So should we kill all the homosexuals too, Ron Brown?

He also reads to players from the bible during practice: http://www.omaha.com/article/2011091...709&frompost=1