Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 285

Thread: Elephant in the room?

  1. #61
    Red Shirt

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Bellevue Ne
    Posts
    1,246
    + 10
    Quote Originally Posted by YellowDent#2 View Post
    Huskers57, you come off as a rather intolerant individual as it pertains to this subject. No personal attack meant here (Attn: Moderator), but whether a person is the POTUS, a football coach, a janitorial engineer or otherwise, they are entitled to their beliefs/opinions and are guaranteed a voicing of them via the American Bill of Rights in forums both private and public. I haven't noticed anywhere in Ron Brown's employment contract that he must surrender those rights. You may not agree with his stance on the subject, but to besmirch his reputation or ability to voice them is out of line on this forum or otherwise.

  2. #62
    Guest

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Just east of KC
    Posts
    2,510
    Quote Originally Posted by YellowDent#2 View Post
    Ron Brown should just go back into his closet, eh? That's what some of you are saying? It's a sad commentary on our society, if so.
    Are you saying Ron Brown actually came out of the closet at some point?

  3. #63
    Quote Originally Posted by YellowDent#2 View Post
    Huskers57, you come off as a rather intolerant individual as it pertains to this subject. No personal attack meant here (Attn: Moderator), but whether a person is the POTUS, a football coach, a janitorial engineer or otherwise, they are entitled to their beliefs/opinions and are guaranteed a voicing of them via the American Bill of Rights in forums both private and public. I haven't noticed anywhere in Ron Brown's employment contract that he must surrender those rights. You may not agree with his stance on the subject, but to besmirch his reputation or ability to voice them is out of line on this forum or otherwise.

    Nobody's denying him that right.

    The question is: should he be using his position as a very prominent Nebraska football coach to do so? (He's admitted that he does use his position to promote his ideology).

    Many of us say no, he should not be using his position in such a manner. At the very least, he should tone it down.

  4. #64
    Guest

    Join Date
    Dec 1999
    Location
    North of the Pecos, East of the Missouri
    Posts
    3,337
    Too bad the world is hung up on "positions."

    We'd have much more peace if we sought the lowest one, rather than the highest.

  5. #65
    Guest

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    New Fairfield, CT
    Posts
    189
    Unless I'm mistaken I don't think anyone here (or elsewhere) is disputing Ron Brown's constitutional rights as an American to voice his opinion. However, that constitutional right does not shield him from any and all repercussions, which is the point I'm trying to make. I'm constitutionally protected to be able to walk into a bar and say pretty much anything I want, but the constitution doesn't protect me from getting punched in the mouth over it

    True, he can't be legally fired for voicing his opinion as a private citizen, but due to the platform his position affords him also must come some discretion on his part about how he uses that...and he must be ready to deal with any and all repercussions as a result.

    I disagree strongly with his position but I also disagree strongly that he should be fired. But if, as a repercussion of his actions, the negative energy impacting the football program outweighs his usefulness to the program, then I couldn't blame the administration for at least considering letting him go if it's what's best for the program.

  6. #66
    Husker Fan

    Join Date
    Feb 2000
    Posts
    40,855
    .

  7. #67
    Get behind the Mule!
    FeelLikeAStranger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Hardscratch Springs
    Posts
    28,574
    Quote Originally Posted by YellowDent#2 View Post
    Ron Brown should just go back into his closet, eh? That's what some of you are saying? It's a sad commentary on our society, if so.
    It's a good comment on our society that this type of ignorance is no longer welcomed or appreciated.
    "Just because somebody's a talented guy or he's right for a lot of people
    doesn't mean he's right for us here at Nebraska." -Bo Pelini, 2/3/10


  8. #68
    Recruit

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Urbandale, IA
    Posts
    10
    Ron has every right to say whatever he wants. I have every right to lose my respect for him...which I have. I'm troubled by the need of some
    to judge others so harshly. I wonder if Ron has seen the movie "Bully"


  9. #69
    All Legend
    utsker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    16,922
    Quote Originally Posted by YUENGLING View Post
    Citizen Ron Brown spoke out at a public hearing against an ordinance protecting gay rights many will agree and just as many will disagree. However there are over 150,000 men and women in Afganistan who are serving there to protect his right to publicly express his opinion.

    How many of those 150,000 are gay and protecting his right to say that gays don't deserve rights?

  10. #70
    All Legend
    utsker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    16,922
    Quote Originally Posted by Number12 View Post
    Ron has every right to say whatever he wants. I have every right to lose my respect for him...which I have. I'm troubled by the need of some
    to judge others so harshly. I wonder if Ron has seen the movie "Bully"

    Yep, simply amazing what people will do to others in the name of their God.

  11. #71
    Guest

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Viking Lake, Iowa
    Posts
    941
    Many people with different creeds and positions. If we fired everyone with a different opinion than us, there would be nothing but chaos. I love Brown as a football coach. I love his passion for the Lord. Yet I'm positive we will not agree on everything whether it be religion or football. He is still a keeper.

    Not everyone has the same tolerance for all things. The more I read about homosexuality the more I question Paul's take on it in the New Testament. Why did God make them. Their brains work differently according to those that study the brain for a living. If God created all things then I'm confused. I have met several and worked with a few in my lifetime. They were that way from an early age as I understand. Some were confused and others knew right from the beginning. My tolerance has grown over the years just for the fact I'm not sure anymore.

    If I can be tolerant of gays, I surely can be tolerant of those that have rigid stances as well. I'm a fan of coach Brown as a man and a football coach. I'm not so sure that there are many gays playing football. Not so sure Coach Brown's stance on the subject has that much of a influence on recruits. This is a game for nasty boys with high expectations for playing beyond college. I personally don't think it makes that big a difference. There are things that I have a strong stance for and against. This isn't one of them. The only way this country survives with it's constitution and existing laws is to embrace tolerance. If not, with so many different peoples and religions the whole thing falls to pieces and what made this country great would be lost..

  12. #72
    Junior Varsity
    gypsyhusker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Redondo Beach.
    Posts
    5,925
    Hmmmmm, I just wonder if Ron Brown was the only person to speak out against the ordinance discussed at the council meeting. One thing is sure though, it is only because of his job that his comments are being written about in the article. If he wasn't a football coach with a high profile position, this wouldn't even likely make a thread in the cafe. He is being used by the media just as much as he uses the media in my view.

    A Christian believes the bible and thinks that homosexuality is wrong. (Not shocking really) But then again, folks using his position at the university in an attempt to suppress his opinion doesn't shock me either. People do what they do and this topic does become devisive. Way too much is being put on what this one guy says. Maybe if everyone really lived what they believed, Ron Brown's comments wouldn't stand out so much.

    Lots of stuff is wrong. Discrimination is just one of them.
    “If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.”
    Samuel Adams

  13. #73
    Guest

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Kearney, NE
    Posts
    633
    He attends banquets and is invited to speak....if you go to it then you should probably have an idea before hand on what he will talk about. Its okay to be gay and discount religious beliefs but not okay the other way around? This branches our to many topics and these people are still---> Hypocrites.

    You can't advocate a belief by denouncing another, which is exactly what happens in our society; more often than not both are correct in their own way. Ron Browns' opinion is his own, nobody forces you to listen to it anymore than you are forced to comment on it. If he chooses to break rules, if he has broken any, then he will be reprimanded accordingly. Although I would like to note, for some reason it is okay to stand up for what you believe in nowadays as long as your motivation isn't God (involving Christianity)....isn't that discriminating the ones that are discriminating?

  14. #74
    All Legend
    utsker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    16,922
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrollsker View Post
    He attends banquets and is invited to speak....if you go to it then you should probably have an idea before hand on what he will talk about. Its okay to be gay and discount religious beliefs but not okay the other way around? This branches our to many topics and these people are still---> Hypocrites.

    You can't advocate a belief by denouncing another, which is exactly what happens in our society; more often than not both are correct in their own way. Ron Browns' opinion is his own, nobody forces you to listen to it anymore than you are forced to comment on it. If he chooses to break rules, if he has broken any, then he will be reprimanded accordingly. Although I would like to note, for some reason it is okay to stand up for what you believe in nowadays as long as your motivation isn't God (involving Christianity)....isn't that discriminating the ones that are discriminating?

    Of course both sides are discriminating and both sides are hypocritical with their selective arguments.

  15. #75
    Guest
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    The Land O' Fruits N' Nuts
    Posts
    306
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrollsker View Post
    He attends banquets and is invited to speak....if you go to it then you should probably have an idea before hand on what he will talk about. Its okay to be gay and discount religious beliefs but not okay the other way around? This branches our to many topics and these people are still---> Hypocrites.

    You can't advocate a belief by denouncing another, which is exactly what happens in our society; more often than not both are correct in their own way. Ron Browns' opinion is his own, nobody forces you to listen to it anymore than you are forced to comment on it. If he chooses to break rules, if he has broken any, then he will be reprimanded accordingly. Although I would like to note, for some reason it is okay to stand up for what you believe in nowadays as long as your motivation isn't God (involving Christianity)....isn't that discriminating the ones that are discriminating?
    +1







Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •