Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Elephant in the room?

Husker Immortal
    Quote Originally Posted by KBHusker View Post
    If the university fired him for speaking his opinion on his own time they need to rapidly follow that by firing all the instructors that push their own agendas in class, to students, while on university time. Speaking out against something is not always hate speech. So tired of hearing that speaking against a group is hate speech but you can use true hate speech against religion, America or anything the majority believe in and that is fine.
    Very valid point. Just because you disagree with something being said doesn't make it "hate speech".
    I really hate Penn State! (And I'm not that wild about Iowa either.)

Husker Fan

Husker Fan

we'll see what Perlman does shortly.

Do you mean to tell me that Ron Brown didn't first ask HuskerMax's message-board's permission to personally personally practice his American right of free speech? Are you serious?! (sarcasm)

When he's not functioning in his position of coach for NU he can say anything he damned well pleases. I know him personally and he is a man of supreme character and principled conviction. Those who disagree with him on the "homosexual bill" should try to practice the same type of "tolerance" that they always wish to espouse. They come off as a rather intolerant bunch, in my book.

Husker Fan

"To be fired for my faith would be a greater honor than to be fired because we didn't win enough games," Brown said in an interview with The Associated Press.

In a state where the Cornhuskers are assigned celebrity status, separating Brown from the program would be a stretch.
    Brown acknowledges that he uses his position as a platform for his ministry.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201..._a15&eref=sihp

Quote Originally Posted by KBHusker View Post
    If the university fired him for speaking his opinion on his own time they need to rapidly follow that by firing all the instructors that push their own agendas in class, to students, while on university time. Speaking out against something is not always hate speech. So tired of hearing that speaking against a group is hate speech but you can use true hate speech against religion, America or anything the majority believe in and that is fine.
    Of course the university will not overtly fire RB based on his beliefs but obviously if this becomes too big a distraction it's not hard to see why the U would set him loose based on his "performance" or some other job-related criteria that would be perfectly within its rights.

Interestingly, the only official I've heard even reference that notion that he might be fired over his beliefs is Brown himself, and it does sound like he almost wishes he could be "martyred" in this way to further his cause.

I totally disagree with Brown's position but I couldn't agree more it is his right as an American to voice it. However, he is plenty smart enough to know that his position of authority is a unique one and comes with certain responsibilities. And it doesn't have to be a gay/straight thing...imagine if Brown was an avid Nazi sympathizer? Protected under the First Amendment doesn't mean carte blanche (in my opinion anyway) for someone in his unique position.

Isnt it odd to anyone else but me that there is now a litmus test for PC speech that must be adhered too "or else"? He was simply addressing his opinion on a city council ordinance and some are all aflutter...There is a legitamate opposition to government granting special rights to gays that he advocates.
    Just Sayin'

The possibility of being "offended" would be a masochistic characteristic of anyone reading these forums . If you get in on the discussion or care about it, be thankful there is one. Those who are fearful of any idea or eventuality need to remember the one many of us identify as the "truth giver" said "perfect love drives out fear."

The aim should be love and then trusting for the result. Of couse, the question becomes: what is love? Read the gospels if you're interested in knowing. One thing I'm discovering is if one seeks truth it is often paradoxical beyond most claims any of us can make to practicing it. Humility is a good place to start. (Yes, I'm working on that In reality, that is usually imposed and seldom if ever, self generated.

Huskers57, you come off as a rather intolerant individual as it pertains to this subject. No personal attack meant here (Attn: Moderator), but whether a person is the POTUS, a football coach, a janitorial engineer or otherwise, they are entitled to their beliefs/opinions and are guaranteed a voicing of them via the American Bill of Rights in forums both private and public. I haven't noticed anywhere in Ron Brown's employment contract that he must surrender those rights. You may not agree with his stance on the subject, but to besmirch his reputation or ability to voice them is out of line on this forum or otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by the fountainhead View Post
    Isnt it odd to anyone else but me that there is now a litmus test for PC speech that must be adhered too "or else"? He was simply addressing his opinion on a city council ordinance and some are all aflutter...There is a legitimate opposition to government granting special rights to gays that he advocates.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by Huskers57 View Post
    "To be fired for my faith would be a greater honor than to be fired because we didn't win enough games," Brown said in an interview with The Associated Press.

In a state where the Cornhuskers are assigned celebrity status, separating Brown from the program would be a stretch.
    Brown acknowledges that he uses his position as a platform for his ministry.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201..._a15&eref=sihp

Exactly.

He's in a unique position as well. His fame precedes him. He knows it.

And 57, BTW, you are by no means intolerant, as suggested by another poster.

Quote Originally Posted by the fountainhead View Post
    Isnt it odd to anyone else but me that there is now a litmus test for PC speech that must be adhered too "or else"? He was simply addressing his opinion on a city council ordinance and some are all aflutter...There is a legitamate opposition to government granting special rights to gays that he advocates.
    No special rights were granted.

Red Shirt
    Citizen Ron Brown spoke out at a public hearing against an ordinance protecting gay rights many will agree and just as many will disagree. However there are over 150,000 men and women in Afganistan who are serving there to protect his right to publicly express his opinion.
    "My job as a football coach is to educate and prepare the kids who come into this program for the rest of their life..." Bo Pelini at the Penn State post game press conference Nov. 12 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Howlin Wolf View Post
    More and more families are finding out that they have gay's, male and female in their families or neighbors ect. Their position on the issue has become closer to home as a result and they don't look at it the same black and white way we did 30 years ago.
    RB has become very visable with his opinions, just today Sports Illustrated and The Bleacher Report have articles about RB and his outspoken opinions.
    A recruit and his family might have another child or relative that RB wouldn't approve of. Brown won't let this issue die down and it just keeps getting press. A man is entitled to his opinions, but just how far does he carry it?
    Very true. It wouldn't surprise me if a recruit came out and said he was crossing NU off his list, due to the views on homosexuality Ron Brown has expressed. That wouldn't look good.

Who knows though, maybe a recruit will say he put Nebraska on his list, due to the Brown's views on homosexuality.

Ron Brown should just go back into his closet, eh? That's what some of you are saying? It's a sad commentary on our society, if so.