Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Elephant in the room?

Starter
    I think Ron Brown has attracted way more recruits to NU than he has turned off.

Athletes are attracted to him. He's a dynamic and spirtual person.

Maybe everyone would prefer someone like Bobby Petrino!
    The life you lead is the life you teach!

Quote Originally Posted by Will.I.Am Husker View Post
    When did he suddenly become a homosexual hater? He stated according to his beliefs its a sin...so what? If he hasn't discriminated against anyone on campus then this is nothing but negative press. Not saying that is ok, but I doubt it will hurt recruiting. Its unfortunate that they cannot separate his personal beliefs and his career but its just the world we live in. IMHO Ron speaks out about all sins, if u have heard him speek. The media just brought this issue out because its a hot button issue.
    I could care less about what Ron Brown has to say. His thoughts have no influence on me. However, the part I put in bold is something that'll be interesting to watch. I'm gonna guess the number of times Ron Brown talked about his views on homosexuality in a recruits living room are probably zero. Now, every living room Ron Brown goes into, it'll be a topic. It'll also be a topic for every other coach. I'm sure Brown can be sent to recruits that have similar religious backgrounds as he does, but it's a big country, and his views aren't going to be a shared by some. Brown won't be fired for his views, but if his views make it harder for the program to succeed, that's another story.

Husker Fan

Quote Originally Posted by wcbsas View Post

Maybe everyone would prefer someone like Bobby Petrino!
    bad analogy and you know it.

Husker Immortal
    It's kind of amusing. Whenever a recruit talks about his faith, some on this board are quick to say, "Coach Brown needs to recruit him." But when Coach Brown talks about his Christian convictions (and he never said anything about hating gays), some of those same people are telling him to keep quiet.
    I really hate Penn State! (And I'm not that wild about Iowa either.)

God I admire you.
    Shut up and coach, Ron.

Jesus wants a pair of 1000 yard rushers this season, not a guy with 'Husker aide' behind his name stupidly spewing intolerance and hate against his fellow human beings in the press and getting fired.
    "Just because somebody's a talented guy or he's right for a lot of people
    doesn't mean he's right for us here at Nebraska." -Bo Pelini, 2/3/10

Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by FeelLikeAStranger View Post
    Shut up and coach, Ron.

Jesus wants a pair of 1000 yard rushers this season, not a guy with 'Husker aide' behind his name stupidly spewing intolerance and hate against his fellow human beings in the press and getting fired.
    Yep.

Everybody's got opinions about everything...no need for the world to hear every brain fart.

Shut it and do your job.
    "Even hayseeds like ourselves get to put our 2 cents in now. Truthfully most of us could not coach ourselves out of a paper basket."
    ---Russian Red

Recruit

Exactly! There is the university-wide policy not to discriminate based on, among other things, sexual orientation. It's a horrible mistake to force your religion on others because you think your religion is better. Loved your coaching but I think it's time to move it on down the road.

Red Shirt

Quote Originally Posted by utsker View Post
    It's funny how many people don't know the difference between the two. One was to unite, the other to divide.
    So with your statement are you saying faith should only unite? You can not have Faith unless there is a division.

All Big 10
    Quote Originally Posted by AzHusker View Post
    Zactly. Keep it on the field, coach. Who needs this topic centered on the Big Red?
    That's it, in a nutshell.
    "It doesn't matter where you start or how people perceive you now or what your potential is. ... It's going to be how this football team comes together and meets the challenges ... I like our potential, but there's a lot of teams that like their potential. It's going to be how we put things together, how we grow and how we come together as a team. It's not going to be the best collection of talent, it's going to be the best team. ...." - Bo Pelini, Big 10 Media Days, 2014

All American
    As long as it's clear he's not representing the University (he did make that one mistake a few months ago) he has a right to express his religious beliefs.

If he's ever fired over something like this, that'd be a giant mistake by Nebraska.
    For the loser now will be later to win. For the times they are a-changin'.

Quote Originally Posted by Number12:923652
    Exactly! There is the university-wide policy not to discriminate based on, among other things, sexual orientation. It's a horrible mistake to force your religion on others because you think your religion is better. Loved your coaching but I think it's time to move it on down the road.

When did he discriminate against any homosexual? When has he forced his religion on any one? The only issue is the neg media its bringing to the University.

If the university fired him for speaking his opinion on his own time they need to rapidly follow that by firing all the instructors that push their own agendas in class, to students, while on university time. Speaking out against something is not always hate speech. So tired of hearing that speaking against a group is hate speech but you can use true hate speech against religion, America or anything the majority believe in and that is fine.

Husker Fan

. not worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Porkchopexpress View Post
    I could care less about what Ron Brown has to say. His thoughts have no influence on me. However, the part I put in bold is something that'll be interesting to watch. I'm gonna guess the number of times Ron Brown talked about his views on homosexuality in a recruits living room are probably zero. Now, every living room Ron Brown goes into, it'll be a topic. It'll also be a topic for every other coach. I'm sure Brown can be sent to recruits that have similar religious backgrounds as he does, but it's a big country, and his views aren't going to be a shared by some. Brown won't be fired for his views, but if his views make it harder for the program to succeed, that's another story.
    More and more families are finding out that they have gay's, male and female in their families or neighbors ect. Their position on the issue has become closer to home as a result and they don't look at it the same black and white way we did 30 years ago.
    RB has become very visable with his opinions, just today Sports Illustrated and The Bleacher Report have articles about RB and his outspoken opinions.
    A recruit and his family might have another child or relative that RB wouldn't approve of. Brown won't let this issue die down and it just keeps getting press. A man is entitled to his opinions, but just how far does he carry it?

All American
    Quote Originally Posted by KBHusker View Post
    If the university fired him for speaking his opinion on his own time they need to rapidly follow that by firing all the instructors that push their own agendas in class, to students, while on university time. Speaking out against something is not always hate speech. So tired of hearing that speaking against a group is hate speech but you can use true hate speech against religion, America or anything the majority believe in and that is fine.
    You nailed it.
    For the loser now will be later to win. For the times they are a-changin'.