Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Elephant in the room?

Varsity

Quote Originally Posted by utsker View Post
    Witch hunt...ya mean like Ron's persecution of gays?
    He's persecuting gays? As someone that posts as Nuke1970 stated on an LJS blog.

Ron Brown did not say he hated Gays. Typical distortions!!! He said that people who perform what the Bible calls sinful acts should not be a protected class. He has a perfect right to believe the Bible in spite of what you think. He is not going out advocating hurting Gays, but he is saying their style of life is something that does not requires legal protection and extra favors from the governement. Just as the government should not force Christianity on anyone, they should not be condoning / forcing homosexuality on anyone.
    "Lay it down, forget it, take off your red, choose another team ... or stick with it."

ToungeInCheek since 2010
    It's funny how many people don't know the difference between the two. One was to unite, the other to divide.
    It is also funny how people are not able to see how he is NOT being contradictory to his own convictions/beliefs.
    No koozies for you. - BigRedMax
    I'm the one guy who says don’t force the stupid people to be quiet — I want to know who the morons are. - Mark Cuban

Scout Team
    Ron Brown =/= Westboro Baptist

The man has an opinion, so let him speak it. You might disagree with it, but there's nothing you can do about it until Congress revokes the First Amendment. And regarding his employer? It doesn't matter who he works for as long as he's not claiming to represent them. He admitted that putting UNL as his return address was a mistake.

Have you ever smoked pot? Or broken the speed limit? Or downloaded a song or movie illegally?

Would you do the same thing on your employers' time? Probably not. If RB is called on the carpet because he (1) has a belief and (2) has an employer who doesn't share that belief, then we are living in dangerous times.

All Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Native View Post
    It is also funny how people are not able to see how he is NOT being contradictory to his own convictions/beliefs.
    didn't say he was being contradictory....said the situations were different...

Recruit
    [QUOTE=hskrncibolo;923551]
    Quote Originally Posted by Howlin Wolf View Post

Nebraska assistant Ron Brown says he will continue to speak out against homosexuality even if it costs him his job.QUOTE]

NEVER have seen this before, think your incorrect. NU has NO problems w/what RB does on his dime/ PER T.O.
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201....ap/index.html

posted in HuskerMax today

Red Shirt

Maybe hes just trying to keep them away from Nebraska, if thats the case I need to move up there. Way to many down here. I agree though he should pipe it down a lot.

Intellectual Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by GoBigfRed View Post
    He's persecuting gays? As someone that posts as Nuke1970 stated on an LJS blog.

I find it humorous that the rube in the comments placed an upper case G on gays every time they references them.
    Life Lesson: DO NOT LET THE MAN KEEP YOU DOWN! http://forum.huskermax.com/vbbs/show...er-King-Jr-Day
    "Yeah, saw that only Larry, Moe, and Curly had chimed-in before the thread was locked. C'est la vie when the cumulative IQ of those 3 shxxxeads is something less than 200, with Squatch nailing down 3rd place. Almost not worth the keystroke time expended reporting those twits, however..."

I love fan mail.

Intellectual Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by ksuhusker View Post
    Maybe hes just trying to keep them away from Nebraska, if thats the case I need to move up there. Way to many down here. I agree though he should pipe it down a lot.

Wow.........just wow..........
    Life Lesson: DO NOT LET THE MAN KEEP YOU DOWN! http://forum.huskermax.com/vbbs/show...er-King-Jr-Day
    "Yeah, saw that only Larry, Moe, and Curly had chimed-in before the thread was locked. C'est la vie when the cumulative IQ of those 3 shxxxeads is something less than 200, with Squatch nailing down 3rd place. Almost not worth the keystroke time expended reporting those twits, however..."

I love fan mail.

When did he suddenly become a homosexual hater? He stated according to his beliefs its a sin...so what? If he hasn't discriminated against anyone on campus then this is nothing but negative press. Not saying that is ok, but I doubt it will hurt recruiting. Its unfortunate that they cannot separate his personal beliefs and his career but its just the world we live in. IMHO Ron speaks out about all sins, if u have heard him speek. The media just brought this issue out because its a hot button issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Will.I.Am Husker View Post
    When did he suddenly become a homosexual hater? He stated according to his beliefs its a sin...so what? If he hasn't discriminated against anyone on campus then this is nothing but negative press. Not saying that is ok, but I doubt it will hurt recruiting. Its unfortunate that they cannot separate his personal beliefs and his career but its just the world we live in. IMHO Ron speaks out about all sins, if u have heard him speek. The media just brought this issue out because its a hot button issue.
    He spoke against an city ordinance that is designed to prevent discrimination against homosexuals.

We can argue whether that ordinance was needed in another thread. But he did, whether he meant to or not, come across as someone who's willing to allow homosexuals to be discriminated against.

Starter
    I think Ron Brown has attracted way more recruits to NU than he has turned off.

Athletes are attracted to him. He's a dynamic and spirtual person.

Maybe everyone would prefer someone like Bobby Petrino!
    The life you lead is the life you teach!

Quote Originally Posted by Will.I.Am Husker View Post
    I could care less about what Ron Brown has to say. His thoughts have no influence on me. However, the part I put in bold is something that'll be interesting to watch. I'm gonna guess the number of times Ron Brown talked about his views on homosexuality in a recruits living room are probably zero. Now, every living room Ron Brown goes into, it'll be a topic. It'll also be a topic for every other coach. I'm sure Brown can be sent to recruits that have similar religious backgrounds as he does, but it's a big country, and his views aren't going to be a shared by some. Brown won't be fired for his views, but if his views make it harder for the program to succeed, that's another story.

Heisman

Quote Originally Posted by wcbsas View Post

Maybe everyone would prefer someone like Bobby Petrino!
    bad analogy and you know it.

Husker Immortal
    It's kind of amusing. Whenever a recruit talks about his faith, some on this board are quick to say, "Coach Brown needs to recruit him." But when Coach Brown talks about his Christian convictions (and he never said anything about hating gays), some of those same people are telling him to keep quiet.
    I really hate Penn State! (And I'm not that wild about Iowa either.)

God I admire you.
    Shut up and coach, Ron.

Jesus wants a pair of 1000 yard rushers this season, not a guy with 'Husker aide' behind his name stupidly spewing intolerance and hate against his fellow human beings in the press and getting fired.
    "Just because somebody's a talented guy or he's right for a lot of people
    doesn't mean he's right for us here at Nebraska." -Bo Pelini, 2/3/10

Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by FeelLikeAStranger View Post
    Shut up and coach, Ron.

Jesus wants a pair of 1000 yard rushers this season, not a guy with 'Husker aide' behind his name stupidly spewing intolerance and hate against his fellow human beings in the press and getting fired.
    Yep.

Everybody's got opinions about everything...no need for the world to hear every brain fart.

Shut it and do your job.
    "Even hayseeds like ourselves get to put our 2 cents in now. Truthfully most of us could not coach ourselves out of a paper basket."
    ---Russian Red

Recruit

Exactly! There is the university-wide policy not to discriminate based on, among other things, sexual orientation. It's a horrible mistake to force your religion on others because you think your religion is better. Loved your coaching but I think it's time to move it on down the road.

Recruit

It's funny how many people don't know the difference between the two. One was to unite, the other to divide.
    So with your statement are you saying faith should only unite? You can not have Faith unless there is a division.

All Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by AzHusker View Post
    Zactly. Keep it on the field, coach. Who needs this topic centered on the Big Red?
    That's it, in a nutshell.
    "It just shows that we're changing the program," Petteway said. "Coach Miles and the guys we have on our staff and our players, we're changing the culture of Nebraska basketball, and this is just the beginning for us." - HuskerOnline.com 2-16-2014

All American
    As long as it's clear he's not representing the University (he did make that one mistake a few months ago) he has a right to express his religious beliefs.

If he's ever fired over something like this, that'd be a giant mistake by Nebraska.
    For the loser now will be later to win. For the times they are a-changin'.