Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Elephant in the room?

Intellectual Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by huskerator 5000 View Post
    Okay, thanks for the details. "You will have to answer to God" is not the same to me as "you are going to hell." I doubt RB would tell you the vote is a damnable offense by itself or that these people couldn't ask for forgiveness from God and receive it, etc.
    Telling someone that beleives in God that they will have to answer to Him is kind of redundant isnt it?
    Life Lesson: DO NOT LET THE MAN KEEP YOU DOWN! http://forum.huskermax.com/vbbs/show...er-King-Jr-Day
    "Yeah, saw that only Larry, Moe, and Curly had chimed-in before the thread was locked. C'est la vie when the cumulative IQ of those 3 shxxxeads is something less than 200, with Squatch nailing down 3rd place. Almost not worth the keystroke time expended reporting those twits, however..."

I love fan mail.

Quote Originally Posted by Husker Country Doc View Post
    Actually, IIRC, the athletic department is self-supporting (and, in fact, sends money to the academic side of the university). RB is therefore, NOT a state employee.

Not that it matters. State employees can have opinions, too.
    Ron Brown works for the University of Nebraska as does Bo and all the rest of the coaching staff. Self supporting, yes today but if there is a shortfall down the road who picks up the tab.
    I'll bet if you look at RB's pay check it will come from the University of Nebraska and who is on the hook for that operation?
    No one said he couldn't have an opinion and my guess is that he won't be coaching many gay running backs.

Actually, IIRC, the athletic department is self-supporting (and, in fact, sends money to the academic side of the university). RB is therefore, NOT a state employee.

While I agree that the economic points that you make above are also what I have heard before. I don't believe that changes anything with regard to him being an employee of the University of Nebraska however. The University of Nebraska as an institution is a Nebraska tax payer supported institution. I don't know the legal nuts and bolts but I don't believe the University of Nebraska athletic department is somehow exempt from University jurisdiction. The Nebraska chancellor and board of regents still hold sway over the athletic department I believe. It is not truly a private enterprise I don't think.

Also, everyone is entitled to an opinion. It is just that when you are a public figure it becomes very difficult to separate yourself and your comments from the institution that you (like it or not) represent. I think the publicity surrounding this is the last thing our University needs for a whole host of reasons.

Recruit

if you truly believe that someone is going to hell for an action or codoning a lifestyle, wouldnt it be your moral obligation to tell them?

Quote Originally Posted by bilsker View Post
    When you warn city council members that they will face going to hell for voting for an ordinace you absolutely ARE trying to force your religion...not successfully but he tried.
    Just Sayin'

Recruit

Sorry, but there are laws against what 2 consenting adults can do in the privacy of their own bedroom...prostitution, illegal drug use, etc... all things that two consenting adults can do in a bedroom.

His act was in no way out of line. The ordinance was unnecessary. Homosexuals dont need special treatment...

Quote Originally Posted by Squatchsker View Post
    Views of right and wrong have changed even in my lifetime where it concerns the way we treat our fellow man. If you want to live in the '60's move to rural Utah.

Yes, it is none of anyone's business what 2 consenting adults do in the privacy of their own bedroom.

The State Employee non de facto argument if ridiculous and you know it as if you were to give it consideration in that fashion the football team would then be considered a professional enterprise and not eligible for NCAA participation. He IS a state employee, and whatever that may entail he has to live up to.

Lastly, the ordinance he spoke out against was not necessary. But that does not diminish his acts as anything else but out of line.
    Just Sayin'

All Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by the fountainhead View Post
    if you truly believe that someone is going to hell for an action or codoning a lifestyle, wouldnt it be your moral obligation to tell them?
    Nope....in the Manual for courts martial, it says that truth is no defense when it comes to disrespecting an officer, so as much as I wanted to give the guy a friendly warning, I couldn't tell him that he was going to hell.

Recruit

A: The city council is not the military
    B: I said "Moral obligation"
    C: He just said "answer to God" so the point is redundant anyway...

Quote Originally Posted by utsker View Post
    Nope....in the Manual for courts martial, it says that truth is no defense when it comes to disrespecting an officer, so as much as I wanted to give the guy a friendly warning, I couldn't tell him that he was going to hell.
    Just Sayin'

Quote Originally Posted by Squatchsker View Post
    Telling someone that beleives in God that they will have to answer to Him is kind of redundant isnt it?
    Now that you mention it, there's a lot of redundancy in religion in general.

All Legend
    I wonder if Baily chose Illinois because he didn't care for Ron Browns stance on gays......the timinig is pretty close

Varsity

Quote Originally Posted by Pops View Post
    the quote you gave with this is misrepresenting the bible saying homosexuality is a sinful act

The Bible As A Sex Manual

So, as others have pointed out before, we use the Bible as if it is a sex manual, telling us what is and isn't acceptable in the eyes of the Lord your God. Thereby delineating out those whom it is okay for us to judge, and toward whom it is okay to direct all kinds of nastiness and holier-than-thouisms.

The reality is that the Bible is not a sex manual. I know, shocker. Right? Actually, it's a good thing (depending on your particular level of sexual prudishness – personally, compared to the Bible, mine is pretty high). You see, the Bible not only promotes marriage between a man and a woman, but it insist that that marriage be within the same faith. Not only should a wife be subordinate (Ephesians 5:22), but she should also prove her virginity... lest she be stoned (Deuteronomy 22:20-21). Oh, and the whole thing would probably be much better if it were arranged (Genesis 24:37-38). And that's just the warm up act.

According to the Bible, if a woman's husband dies and she hasn't had a son, she must marry his brother and have intercourse with him until she has a son (Mark 12:18-27). Sometimes, biblically wives are good, but concubines are better. Many of the “men of God” were not only married, but at least three of them had more than one concubine (Abraham, Caleb, Solomon) and they remained “men of God.” But like I said, “biblically wives are good” and there's no such thing as too much of a good thing. Right? So, why not have may wives? God frequently blessed polygamists (Esau, Jacob, Gideon, David, Solomon, Belshazzar).

As far as sexuality and the Bible's perspective on woman as property and as slaves... well, as you can imagine, it does not get any better.

Making Choices

The point is this: most of us have matured enough theologically to recognize that we need to contextualize the writings of the Bible, and because of it we have moved passed using these examples as the end-all-be-all on acceptable practices of sexuality. However, somehow, we have not managed to apply the very same understanding to the Bible verses that have become known as the “clobber verses” in the Bible. “Clobber" because they are the verses most used to clobber people who are gay or who support gay rights.

That is really interesting when you consider that, of all the topics I just mentioned, sexual orientation is the only one that is not a choice. Polygamy, concubines, marrying your brother's widow? All choices, and we have decided to “get over” the biblical directives for them. Sexual orientation? Not a choice. (There are those who still argue otherwise, but the science is clear, so I'm not even having that discussion). So many Christians just aren't able to get past that one. Equally interesting to consider: it is actually more of a choice to judge and marginalize people over being homosexual, or, bi-sexual, or queer; than it is a choice to be homosexual, or, bi-sexual, or queer. Yet we judge them and not ourselves.

Since we clearly have a difficult time letting go of the clobber verses, let's take them one by one and very briefly consider what is really going on in them. It should help us arrive at a clearer picture of what the writers of these scriptures were trying to tell us. What we will find is this: as we get caught up in judging others over what we want the verses to say, we miss the opportunity to understand how to be the people God is calling us to be.

As we get started, we all need to be on the same page on one thing. When the Bible was written, the earth was flat, the sun orbited the earth and the idea of a person having a sexual 'orientation' was completely foreign.

http://www.thegodarticle.com/7/post/...y-bashing.html
    +1

Intellectual Patriot
    Sorry, but there are laws against what 2 consenting adults can do in the privacy of their own bedroom...prostitution, illegal drug use, etc... all things that two consenting adults can do in a bedroom.

His act was in no way out of line. The ordinance was unnecessary. Homosexuals dont need special treatment...
    Pardon me for not being explicit to the Nth degree in my statement. But considering the thread, I would have assumed that a perfectly normal human being would be able to absorb the inference without being a nit picking ass.
    Life Lesson: DO NOT LET THE MAN KEEP YOU DOWN! http://forum.huskermax.com/vbbs/show...er-King-Jr-Day
    "Yeah, saw that only Larry, Moe, and Curly had chimed-in before the thread was locked. C'est la vie when the cumulative IQ of those 3 shxxxeads is something less than 200, with Squatch nailing down 3rd place. Almost not worth the keystroke time expended reporting those twits, however..."

I love fan mail.

Junior Varsity

Then why are they treated "special"? This would not be being discussed if they were treated the same.
    When I do good, I feel good; when I do bad, I feel bad, and that is my religion. - A. Lincoln

We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are. - Anais Nin

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. - Sir W. Churchill

Spend 50% of your time taking care of your business and 50% leaving everyone else's alone.

pray for me ;)
    Quote Originally Posted by unmartin View Post
    Religion is like having a penis
    It's great if you have one
    It is fine if you are proud of it
    Just don't whip it out in public and start waving it around
    And if you try to shove it down peoples throats you may get your arse kicked
    I think the original also said to not shove it down childrens throats.
    Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.Bill Watterson, cartoonist, "Calvin and Hobbes"

Freewill? Freedom of speech? Separation of Church and State? Coach Brown used "Memorial Stadium, Lincoln, NE" as his address of record when speaking. This put the University, a public, tax-fed entity that respects diversity, in an interesting position. Brown also stated, "To be fired for my faith would be a greater honor than to be fired because we didn't win enough games," which could be perceived as a challenge to his employer (the aforementioned public, tax-fed institution).

Party like it's 1985!

Uhh, he is still a state employee. The fact that taxpayer funds are not used to pay his salary is irrelevant.
    "Just because somebody's a talented guy or he's right for a lot of people
    doesn't mean he's right for us here at Nebraska." -Bo Pelini, 2/3/10