Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Elephant in the room?

Quote Originally Posted by YellowDent#2 View Post
    Fountainhead nails it, FLAS, because they are citizens they ALREADY enjoy the preexistent protections. Anything more is a moot point. Why don't some people understand this?
    I couldn't agree more. I only disagree with all the "hate" laws for the fact that I don't fall into anyone of those catagories. I am not female, I am not a minority, I don't have a disability, I am not a homosexual, I don't have three eyes, I don't fly spaceships.....etc. I am just a guy who works and has a family and a house and two cars and if someone does something to me I have to just call the police and go through the motions. I don't know that there are any laws above the normal ones that protect me.

My struggle with everyone critizing Ron Brown is that you are doing the same thing that you critize him for. He has the right to his opinion. The only thing I see wrong was listing the University as his address. If he chooses to believe homosexuality is a sin he has that right. The same way that others have the right to say its okay. Who is right?

As for its affect on recruiting, what about the kids that would believe that homosecuality is a sin. Or the ones that have his religious convictions? Would those kids not be more willing to come to UNL? Should we send all those kids somewhere else because they believe something the guy next to him doesnt?

Husker Immortal
    Quote Originally Posted by ThotDoc View Post
    "I suspect that even today, with all the progress we have made in liberal thought, the quality of true tolerance is as rare as the quality of mercy." Frank Knox

I support Ron Brown as a coach and admire him as a man of steadfast conviction and and as one who demonstrates consistent faith.

I don't believe his views will negatively impact recruiting and he has been a very positive and influential recruiter especially to other young men of similar faith.

The University can keep him or fire him at their discretion, but they to this point have seen his impact as more positive than negative.

Often, it is very difficult to be tolerant of someone with opposing views, but that is the challenge before all of us.
    "I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious." -- Vince Lombardi

Dirk laid it out pretty well.
    I work for the Omaha World-Herald. I can speak publicly on a range of issues. It is my right. But if I say something in the public square that reflects poorly on my employer — even in my spare time — my boss has the right to fire me.

http://sports.omaha.com/2012/04/27/m...tter-april-27/

I predict Brown will either step down or get fired. I am leaning towards getting fired, because he stated it would be a great honor to be fired for his beliefs. This is because this sort of thing is about more than just football recruiting. It makes the Univeristy look bad on a national scale and makes out of state students/international students skeptical of coming to UNL.

Husker Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Howlin Wolf View Post
    Then why is there a thread even bigger on Cafe? In my first post it was football related and recruiting but it turned into Bible quotes and opinion of gays or antigays.
    There sure is a lot of interest in the topic, just not the football side I was going for.
    because the other thread is older for starters, 2nd it's in the cafe and the regulars know how to tear that topic up very well compared the amateurs on the football board. 3rd...it can have an impact on our image/reputation in regards to recruiting and all.

Society Crazy Indeed
    Quote Originally Posted by kpaso View Post
    Pops are you saying that being Gay is not professional? This is how the law will construe it.

not saying that at all...

But acting a certain way is not professional...just like I said me going to speaking engagements dressed in my leathers and colors

Failure is the condiment that gives success its flavor.

Society Crazy Indeed
    Quote Originally Posted by kpaso View Post
    Pops are you saying that being Gay is not professional? This is how the law will construe it.

also dont know what doc meant as being "openly" gay....would that be any different than being openly heterosexual?...there are laws on that as well

Failure is the condiment that gives success its flavor.

Quote Originally Posted by rawkfanseth View Post
    I predict Brown will either step down or get fired. I am leaning towards getting fired, because he stated it would be a great honor to be fired for his beliefs. .
    I would be willing to bet that he doesn't get fired. Why would he state publicly that it would be an honor to be fired for his beliefs? So if I was a Muslim and my employer fired me for my beliefs would that be okay? Maybe he just locked it in that there will be no way for the school to fire him because if they do they would be held liable for........wait for it.....discrimination. Wouldn't that make the school look good, to discriminate against a guy for discriminating.

Quote Originally Posted by MsideHuskers View Post
    I would be willing to bet that he doesn't get fired. Why would he state publicly that it would be an honor to be fired for his beliefs? So if I was a Muslim and my employer fired me for my beliefs would that be okay? Maybe he just locked it in that there will be no way for the school to fire him because if they do they would be held liable for........wait for it.....discrimination. Wouldn't that make the school look good, to discriminate against a guy for discriminating.
    Fair point. I was thinking of it as more of bargaining situation. Ie - The University confronts Coach Brown and says "you need to apologize this is hurting our repuation." Coach Brown refuses, the University thinking they have to do something and if Ron Brown won't apologize they are forced to fire him.
    I have also heard Nebraska is an at will state...meaning your employer can fire you whenver, wherever, for whatever reason. But yes being held liable for firing someone over their religion (discrimination) makes a lot of sense too. I don't have a good understanding of these sorts of laws.

Fair point. I don't have a good understanding of these sorts of laws.
    Me either, but just saying. Again, I don't care what his opinions are. He is a good coach and I would still say a great man. I don't agree with his message on homosexuality but that is his to have. I admire him for the strength and conviction to stand up and say it.....as i hide behind the monitor at my desk typing this out on a discussion board.

It's good to have discussions like this as long as everyone remembers that we all have the right to our opinions and the right to free speech.+

Junior Varsity
    I work for the Omaha World-Herald. I can speak publicly on a range of issues. It is my right. But if I say something in the public square that reflects poorly on my employer — even in my spare time — my boss has the right to fire me.
    Looks like Dirk and Ron Brown are on the same page when it comes to an employer's right to discriminate. It's heartwarming when people see eye-to-eye.

Quote Originally Posted by MsideHuskers View Post
    Me either, but just saying. Again, I don't care what his opinions are. He is a good coach and I would still say a great man. I don't agree with his message on homosexuality but that is his to have. I admire him for the strength and conviction to stand up and say it.....as i hide behind the monitor at my desk typing this out on a discussion board.

It's good to have discussions like this as long as everyone remembers that we all have the right to our opinions and the right to free speech.+
    I agree with most of this. I wish he would just decline a national interview when the subject is homosexuality though. The problem is, whether he likes it or not, he is representing the university when he speaks. People are now going to, wrongly, think the university as a whole is anti LGBT. Out of respect to the University I don't think he should voice his opinion on this. It hurts others.

"Knock, knock..."
    Quote Originally Posted by YellowDent#2 View Post
    Fountainhead nails it, FLAS, because they are citizens they ALREADY enjoy the preexistent protections. Anything more is a moot point. Why don't some people understand this?
    Sorry, but if there is discrimination, that is clearly not the case, is it?

http://sports.omaha.com/2012/04/27/m...tter-april-27/

I predict Brown will either step down or get fired. I am leaning towards getting fired, because he stated it would be a great honor to be fired for his beliefs. This is because this sort of thing is about more than just football recruiting. It makes the Univeristy look bad on a national scale and makes out of state students/international students skeptical of coming to UNL.
    Then, I assume you advocate your employer's right to demand your Facebook, Twitter, and HuskerMax passwords so they can make a determination whether you would represent them well.

Quote Originally Posted by beans View Post
    Then, I assume you advocate your employer's right to demand your Facebook, Twitter, and HuskerMax passwords so they can make a determination whether you would represent them well.
    There's a bit of difference between expressing your opinion to a couple hundred people on Facebook and millions to national media. Also, I don't work in a very public role like Ron Brown either which means I have the privlege of not representing my company at all times. If I were the CEO or CFO etc etc this would be a lot different

So no I don't advocate that right. Ron Brown should just keep his mouth shut about this to the national media. He is entitled to an opinion but due to his public role it hurts his employer when he voices it.