Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Doing some Recon Thurs/Fri Night

All Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by SealBeachHusker View Post
    And, yet most artists are coy about their art's "true meaning", and "art is open to interpretation", and happy that "people find inspiration in my art". If "Get up, Stand up!", for example, is used in a GOP youth vote campaign it would be entirely hypocritical, IMO, to discourage voter participation based on disagreement with one's own political views.

And, it would seem that in saying their music is so tied to their public identity, and they then tie that public identity so tightly to partisan politics...then people have every right to distance themselves.

I absolutely love artists who's work has meaning, purposes and cause...it's makes for much more meaningful music, film, etc., but explicitly partisan interjection either through their art or through their fame, takes them from artist to political partisan...and that kinda sucks.

I think there is a difference between an artist saying, "Hey don't use my music, because some people may think it implies endorsement, and btw, I'm for the other guy," and an artist making a point of complaining about a politician. I can't even remember what it was the Dixie Chicks said about George Bush, but I may well have agreed with them. But when they said it, I could only roll my eyes. Like I care what the Dixie Chicks think?
    "It doesn't matter where you start or how people perceive you now or what your potential is. ... It's going to be how this football team comes together and meets the challenges ... I like our potential, but there's a lot of teams that like their potential. It's going to be how we put things together, how we grow and how we come together as a team. It's not going to be the best collection of talent, it's going to be the best team. ...." - Bo Pelini, Big 10 Media Days, 2014

Society Crazy Indeed
    I agree. And, to me, politics is beneath a great artist.
    disagree...

I cannot be bought, compromised, detoured, lured away, turned back, deluded, or delayed. I will not flinch in the face of sacrifice, hesitate in the presence of adversity, negotiate at the table of the enemy, ponder at the pool of popularity, or meander in the maze of mediocrity.I wont give up, shut up, let up, until I have stayed up, stored up, prayed up, paid up, and showed up for all wounded children.

All Legend

I absolutely love artists who's work has meaning, purposes and cause...it's makes for much more meaningful music, film, etc., but explicitly partisan interjection either through their art or through their fame, takes them from artist to political partisan...and that kinda sucks.
    I agree with you whole-heartedly. I think the best art isn't directly partisan. Springsteen sings evocatively of working class woes, and it makes me think about it. But if he sang, "so I voted Democratic, and everything was OK!" I would dismiss it.

But artists because of their art have a secret weapon see? By its appeal, it forces us to listen to it! They have an almost unfair opportunity to speak out, using their art. Any politician would kill to have the ability to reach people so meaningfully. In all seriousness, the best artists I think usually realize that. After the guitar chord ends, the magic is gone. You've said what you could. Now ********.
    "It doesn't matter where you start or how people perceive you now or what your potential is. ... It's going to be how this football team comes together and meets the challenges ... I like our potential, but there's a lot of teams that like their potential. It's going to be how we put things together, how we grow and how we come together as a team. It's not going to be the best collection of talent, it's going to be the best team. ...." - Bo Pelini, Big 10 Media Days, 2014

All Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Pops View Post
    I never said i was influenced by them but I loved listening to them...they also spoke through their words and song and their songs reflected their beliefs.
    Lennon very much became a political figure...enough so, it worried Hoover at the time and tried to get him deported. Was he making to much sense? absolutely!
    I love listening to their music today, and they have influenced me for sure. And the integrity of their art combined with their political belief is just as it should be. I just don't feel the need for their politics in explicit speech.

Society Crazy Indeed
    But yet so many will come on here and with a thread on what Ted Nugent said.....they will fall over themselves to agree with it

I cannot be bought, compromised, detoured, lured away, turned back, deluded, or delayed. I will not flinch in the face of sacrifice, hesitate in the presence of adversity, negotiate at the table of the enemy, ponder at the pool of popularity, or meander in the maze of mediocrity.I wont give up, shut up, let up, until I have stayed up, stored up, prayed up, paid up, and showed up for all wounded children.

All Legend
    I never said i was influenced by them but I loved listening to them...they also spoke through their words and song and their songs reflected their beliefs.
    Lennon very much became a political figure...enough so, it worried Hoover at the time and tried to get him deported. Was he making to much sense? absolutely!
    Actually, think about it, I think Bob Dylan may have been one of my influences in coming to believe that an artist speaks through his work. I think he once said to a reporter at a press conference something to the effect of the song means what it means. I'm listening to one of those press cons on you tube right now to see if I can find it.

But yet so many will come on here and with a thread on what Ted Nugent said.....they will fall over themselves to agree with it
    Ted who? lol

To me Ted Nugent has cheapened his rock and roll cred, and comes off as a reality show contestant.

He has every right to say what he says, but IMO cheapens him as an artist.

Quote Originally Posted by huskernut View Post
    I agree with you whole-heartedly. I think the best art isn't directly partisan. Springsteen sings evocatively of working class woes, and it makes me think about it. But if he sang, "so I voted Democratic, and everything was OK!" I would dismiss it.

But artists because of their art have a secret weapon see? By its appeal, it forces us to listen to it! They have an almost unfair opportunity to speak out, using their art. Any politician would kill to have the ability to reach people so meaningfully. In all seriousness, the best artists I think usually realize that. After the guitar chord ends, the magic is gone. You've said what you could. Now ********.
    I guess that's what cheapens it to me, because art has a subtle yet powerful voice to reach people. By delving into partisan politics it cheapens it to me.

Kind of like telling an awesome joke, then spending the time to explain it.

And, not saying art can't have political message, or moral messages, but delving into the world of mainstream partisan politics is just cheap and tacky. At that point, whether you like it or not, you're just part of party PR/Propaganda.

Totally agree with your last point~

All Legend
    I listened to most of an hour long Dylan press con from 1965 and couldn't find the quote I was looking for. Mostly it was Dylan being a bemused smart-ass with a bunch of square reporters who couldn't understand why young people liked him so much.

There was one part, which is on point, and which is actually entertaining to watch at 8:10 in the video (skip the rest, unless you're a Dylan junkie).

A young woman, really a girl, asks him if he prefers songs with an obvious or subtle message. Dylan deflects, but it is kind of entertaining. She says she heard his songs are "supposed to have a subtle message" unlike say, Eve of Destruction, which had an obvious one. He asks where she heard that and she says "In a movie magazine." Everyone, including the girl and Dylan, is laughing.

Then he lights a cigarette and says with graciousness, "we don't discuss those things here."

Society Crazy Indeed
    Ted who? lol

To me Ted Nugent has cheapened his rock and roll cred, and comes off as a reality show contestant.

exactly

Society Crazy Indeed
    Quote Originally Posted by huskernut View Post
    Actually, think about it, I think Bob Dylan may have been one of my influences in coming to believe that an artist speaks through his work. I think he once said to a reporter at a press conference something to the effect of the song means what it means. I'm listening to one of those press cons on you tube right now to see if I can find it.
    Yes, also as a poet in the village in New York it's also interesting to listen to what he had to say as Robert Zimmerman ..I'll look for the interview If I can find it I'll post it. He said it was up to those like him to change what surrounds the people. Blowin in the wind and the times they are a changing became anthems for the civil rights movement.

Ted who? lol

exactly
    But, I also think the same thing about liberally leaning artists who overtly and repeatedly interject themselves into partisan politics.

I wont be there
    I was wondering if you were going to say anything. I was going to post "the puffs of Devil weed are where you'll find Pops!" but I didn't. But I just did now because you did. See what you did that made me do what I did...?

Doing some Recon Thurs/Fri Night

How was it?