Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 10 of 28 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Coach Brown being Coach Brown.

Quote Originally Posted by Nishioka View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bilsker View Post
    Front page on ESPN.com, by the way. Yay!
    Guess we should be adding homophobia to the list of joke topics to expect this year. After indoor plumbing, having sexual relations with sister aunt wives, and doing meth.
    I recall from my Sociology of Sports elective that football by far had the most conservative leaning participants and fans...so, might not be all that much of a factor.

For example, praying in class would have been decried as evil indoctrination, yet at the penn state game it was lauded, and in football at all levels it's very acceptable.

Quote Originally Posted by SealBeachHusker View Post
    I recall from my Sociology of Sports elective that football by far had the most conservative leaning participants and fans...so, might not be all that much of a factor.

For example, praying in class would have been decried as evil indoctrination, yet at the penn state game it was lauded, and in football at all levels it's very acceptable.
    It's already on EDSBS, so...

http://www.everydayshouldbesaturday....nted-ron-brown

Quote Originally Posted by Nishioka View Post

It's already on EDSBS, so...

http://www.everydayshouldbesaturday....nted-ron-brown
    I meant issue with fans, players and recruits. I don't think it will much of an issue with them at all.

And, I noticed the writer of that post also notes that he purposely turned off the comments section. Is he afraid the everyday football fan isn't going to agree with his characterization of Ron Brown?

All Big 10
    Plus, I just read a partial transcript, he specifically said "My name is Ron Brown and I do not speak for the University of Nebraska..."
    If he actually said that at the council meeting, I would certainly give him a pass on that episode, regardless of what address he used. (Though I still think he should have said no comment to AP when they called for an interivew.)

Do you have a link to that transcript?

It is hard to reconcile that with this article about it in the OWH:

University of Nebraska-Lincoln Chancellor Harvey Perlman took assistant Husker football coach Ron Brown to task Thursday for not making it clear he was not speaking for the university when he testified ....
    Did the reporter not bother to ask anyone whether or not Brown actually did make it clear? And why was Brown quoted in the story as saying this about it?

On Thursday, Brown said: "I don't have a problem with making it very clear that I don't represent the views of the University of Nebraska. However, in light of the context, I didn't think it was necessary and I didn't think it should be assumed that I was representing the university."
    http://www.omaha.com/article/20120308/BIGRED/303099995
    Moving on...

Welcome Coach Riley! Go Big Red!!!

All Big 10
    Plus, I just read a partial transcript, he specifically said "My name is Ron Brown and I do not speak for the University of Nebraska..."
    Seal, here's a video of his speaking at the Omaha City Council.

It certainly looks like the camera is rolling before he introduces himself, and he clearly does NOT say he doesn't speak for the University. I would be interested to know the source of your transcript.
    Moving on...

Quote Originally Posted by huskernut View Post
    Seal, here's a video of his speaking at the Omaha City Council.

It certainly looks like the camera is rolling before he introduces himself, and he clearly does NOT say he doesn't speak for the University. I would be interested to know the source of your transcript.
    Yeah, my quote was wrong, it was from a speech he gave afterwards...at a speaking engagement after the incident. Freedman event at Pershing.

But, he also doesn't claim to be speaking on behalf of University. Which explains why Perlman's reprimand only dealt with being more clear about not speaking in University capacity, but didn't reprimand him for the content, as the comments were made in a personal capacity.

And, as I pointed out, giving employment address is common at council meetings for public officials or employees who feel it might be an undue burden to have their addresses so openly shared.

All Big 10
    Yeah, my quote was wrong, it was from a speech he gave afterwards...at a speaking engagement after the incident. Freedman event at Pershing.

But, he also doesn't claim to be speaking on behalf of University. Which explains why Perlman's reprimand only dealt with being more clear about not speaking in University capacity, but didn't reprimand him for the content, as the comments were made in a personal capacity.

And, as I pointed out, giving employment address is common at council meetings for public officials or employees who feel it might be an undue burden to have their addresses so openly shared.
    Fair enough. I go back to what I first said about this right afterwards. He needs to affirmatively make it clear in that kind of setting he's not speaking for the University - he's not some Joe Schmoe. Unless he does so, it is unclear. Perlman was right to set him straight on it.

That doesn't mean it has to be a big deal. Like I've said elsewhere I admire him for his positive effect on his charges, even if I don't agree with him on this. But he needs to be straight up. And he needs to say no to the national sports press when they come calling. He owes that to his employer. He can conduct his ministry (however he describes it) without putting the U in this tough position, for something that isn't remotely related to its mission.

JMHO.
    Moving on...

Quote Originally Posted by huskernut View Post

Fair enough. I go back to what I first said about this right afterwards. He needs to affirmatively make it clear in that kind of setting he's not speaking for the University - he's not some Joe Schmoe. Unless he does so, it is unclear. Perlman was right to set him straight on it.

That doesn't mean it has to be a big deal. Like I've said elsewhere I admire him for his positive effect on his charges, even if I don't agree with him on this. But he needs to be straight up. And he needs to say no to the national sports press when they come calling. He owes that to his employer. He can conduct his ministry (however he describes it) without putting the U in this tough position, for something that isn't remotely related to its mission.

JMHO.
    I agree to some extent, but honestly believe he did not intend to be coy, and think he's pretty aware of the concerns of speaking about faith.

http://m.journalstar.com/news/state-and-regional/nebraska/article_5965b13a-c0e0-11df-b662-001cc4c002e0.html

"When he knows he’s going to share his faith, he said, he asks the school to make attendance optional."

And, still believe as faculty he should be afforded the same right to advocate his opinions as are professors with controversial views and ideas.

Junior Varsity
    Why is this showing up in the national news now? Honest question. All I see in terms of recent events is Ron Brown giving a talk at a church about the role of missionaries.

Professors don't represent the university. Ron Brown does. Just as Bo Pelini, Lauren Cook, Alphonso Denard and Harvey Perlman do.

Sports Illustrated doesn't call and interview them about their stance on _____. They call Ron Brown.
    Yes, we do represent the university. While I am not a professor at UNL, I am a professor and I can assure that I do often represent the university and am often interviewed by various media outlets (not SI, though). An athletic coach is going to have a broader platform but both can represent the university.

Husker Fan

Quote Originally Posted by HuskerWheatie View Post
    Yes, we do represent the university. While I am not a professor at UNL, I am a professor and I can assure that I do often represent the university and am often interviewed by various media outlets (not SI, though). An athletic coach is going to have a broader platform but both can represent the university.
    Yep.

Following up your nonsense with more nonsense? Good tactic.
    Actually, I don't see where what RW said is non-sense at all. The basis of morality is a very valid question and post-modernism/moral relativism creates space for a moral free-for-all. I do think there is a natural law written on our hearts, so there are some core things that most everyone would consider immoral (murder for example), but humans are great at rationalizing bad behavior and moral relativism gives them the green light to do so.

Lovely.

TO was a man of faith as well. He didn't go around embarrassing the university like Brown is. good man. Good coach. But he needs a filter and a lesson in "appropriate time and place".
    Not quite sure how an expression of faith/belief is embarrassing to the university. I thought those places were bastions of tolerance. Am I wrong?

Starter
    The first 2 paragraphs of your post were just nonsense.

And yes...Brown is entitled to do whatever he wishes. And he's also entitled to be fired for embarrassing the university.
    What about the first two paragraphs are nonsense?

People express their faith-based opinions everyday and many shapes and forms. The simple act of wearing a cross is one example. In its most basic simplist form it is that no different than what Coach Brown is doing?

To your other point - how is he embarrasing the university? By articulating a belief/position that the institution doesn't support? If he is fired for that - then this is censorship - pure and simple. Let's go back to the 1920's and 1930's where workers were instructed by their employers to vote a certain way!
    The life you lead is the life you teach!

Quote Originally Posted by mjw11 View Post
    this was one of the comments ...spot on

Let's not forget University of Nebraska is a PUBLIC school. Meaning that OUR tax dollars are used to support them and all of the organizations that result. Sure he can have his own opinions considering this is America and we're free to speak our mind but as someone who's paycheck comes from the state (which is not aligned with any religion in particular) and still pushes his pseudo-"religious" remarks it's clear that he's breaking rules and needs to face devastating consequences.
    That is a pretty condescending thing to say, pseudo-"religious". Three major religions, Christianity, Islam, and Judaism view homosexuality as a sin. There is nothing pseudo about Coach Brown's remarks. He is making them from a standpoint of faith. Once again, where is the tolerance?