Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 19 of 28 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast
Results 271 to 285 of 408

Thread: Coach Brown being Coach Brown.

  1. #271
    Cake or Death?
    The Impaler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    still in ********** Texas via Alliance
    Posts
    6,691
    Quote Originally Posted by HuskerWheatie View Post
    You're wanting to compare the most dysfunctional of heterosexual couples to some idealized same sex couple. There is no ambiguity in the research. The healthiest homes for children are characterized by a having a father and mother in the home in a healthy, functional relationship.
    It's a precarious argument you are making here. I am not familiar with the studies you are referring to and don't disagree with the results. But I am wondering what the real conclusion should be. In other words, are these the most healthy homes because this is what is seen as normal and the way things should be? So if you don't fall into that group you are seen as different in society and therefore have more adversity to face? I guess what I am getting at, is it's not necessarily less healthy because it's a "gay household" but rather just different and less common and generally more looked down upon from outside. If society's view of gay households was completey mainstream and accepted how would the studies results be different? Maybe they wouldn't, but then again, maybe they would.

    "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence." -Carl Sagan


  2. #272
    Society Crazy Indeed
    Pops's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    47,513
    Quote Originally Posted by The Impaler View Post
    It's a precarious argument you are making here. I am not familiar with the studies you are referring to and don't disagree with the results. But I am wondering what the real conclusion should be. In other words, are these the most healthy homes because this is what is seen as normal and the way things should be? So if you don't fall into that group you are seen as different in society and therefore have more adversity to face? I guess what I am getting at, is it's not necessarily less healthy because it's a "gay household" but rather just different and less common and generally more looked down upon from outside. If society's view of gay households was completey mainstream and accepted how would the studies results be different? Maybe they wouldn't, but then again, maybe they would.

    you make to much sense for this place...stay away, before its to late!


    I cannot be bought, compromised, detoured, lured away, turned back, deluded, or delayed. I will not flinch in the face of sacrifice, hesitate in the presence of adversity, negotiate at the table of the enemy, ponder at the pool of popularity, or meander in the maze of mediocrity.I wont give up, shut up, let up, until I have stayed up, stored up, prayed up, paid up, and showed up for all wounded children.

  3. #273
    Travel Squad

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Boulder, CO
    Posts
    9,263
    I find it so sad that some distinguish discrimination against gays from discrimination against Blacks because being homosexual is a behavior, and being Black is simply a skin color. But does anyone really believe that Blacks are discriminated against by anybody in this country because of their skin color? It is the Blacks' behavior that is different from Whites', not their skin color, that makes them deemed to be undesirable to some small minded non-Blacks: traditions, music, speech, food, dress, history, etc. I think all of us participating in this thread believe that discrimination against Blacks is unacceptable under any circumstances. But yet, there are some on this thread that still cling to the thought that discrimination against homosexuals is alright because homosexuals' "behavior" is different than the norm of the majority.

    That's a cop out.
    "Those mothers would rather see the country go down in flames than let the times change."

    -- Samuel L. Jackson

  4. #274
    Travel Squad

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Boulder, CO
    Posts
    9,263
    Quote Originally Posted by SealBeachHusker View Post
    So, the state will allow you to assist and help others only if you accept the states version of morality? Wow, that's very scary.
    No, I never said that the state was blameless. Only that the organization was not blameless.
    "Those mothers would rather see the country go down in flames than let the times change."

    -- Samuel L. Jackson

  5. #275
    All Legend
    huskernut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Louisville, CO
    Posts
    17,885
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    nut, I'm disappointed. So ... even if a gay person is born that way, you believe that person can be discriminated against if he/she chooses to engage in sexual relations at any time during his/her lifetime? Are you kidding me? Everyone else on the planet can have sexual relations, including animals, but gays can be discriminated against for it? Come on, man!
    I don't know if gays are born that way or not, nor do I need to know for my argument to hold up. Even if they are born that way in terms of preferences, they are in control of their behavior, so it is intelligible for a religion to declare the behavior a sin. Skin color obviously is not. That's why I think it is reasonable to let people differ on their religious views on this point. And since I am confining this exemption to religious organizations, and closely held companies (making me more conservative than Chitown on this point perhaps ), I think this approach preserves both religious freedom and gives gays protected status in most of the economy.

    Or do you think it is appropriate to define for someone else what they should think is a sin?
    "It doesn't matter where you start or how people perceive you now or what your potential is. ... It's going to be how this football team comes together and meets the challenges ... I like our potential, but there's a lot of teams that like their potential. It's going to be how we put things together, how we grow and how we come together as a team. It's not going to be the best collection of talent, it's going to be the best team. ...." - Bo Pelini, Big 10 Media Days, 2014

  6. #276
    All Legend
    huskernut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Louisville, CO
    Posts
    17,885
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    I find it so sad that some distinguish discrimination against gays from discrimination against Blacks because being homosexual is a behavior, and being Black is simply a skin color. But does anyone really believe that Blacks are discriminated against by anybody in this country because of their skin color? It is the Blacks' behavior that is different from Whites', not their skin color, that makes them deemed to be undesirable to some small minded non-Blacks: traditions, music, speech, food, dress, history, etc. I think all of us participating in this thread believe that discrimination against Blacks is unacceptable under any circumstances. But yet, there are some on this thread that still cling to the thought that discrimination against homosexuals is alright because homosexuals' "behavior" is different than the norm of the majority.

    That's a cop out.
    That's nothing more than an assertion introduced by back-handed claim of moral superiority ("I find it sad"). Surely you can do better than that.
    "It doesn't matter where you start or how people perceive you now or what your potential is. ... It's going to be how this football team comes together and meets the challenges ... I like our potential, but there's a lot of teams that like their potential. It's going to be how we put things together, how we grow and how we come together as a team. It's not going to be the best collection of talent, it's going to be the best team. ...." - Bo Pelini, Big 10 Media Days, 2014

  7. #277
    Quote Originally Posted by ChitownHusker:923934
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Red Rick View Post
    Based on his comments earlier in the thread, Luth seems to be calling out Ron Brown and other Christians who, in Luth's opinion, misinterpret the Bible in the case of homosexuality. Unless I read it wrong. But Luth and I are discussing, so I will let him state his points.

    So it violates the preacher instruction manual for one Christian to disagree with another Christian about an issue of Biblical interpretation? I'd never heard that before. Should Luth also consider leaving the seminary if, for instance, he decides to disagree with Fred Phelps and his brand of Christianity?
    Why are you attacking me? Lutheran and I seem to be getting along famously despite having a difference of opinion. I asked a question, he answered and we moved on. Let it go man.

  8. #278
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    I find it so sad that some distinguish discrimination against gays from discrimination against Blacks because being homosexual is a behavior, and being Black is simply a skin color. But does anyone really believe that Blacks are discriminated against by anybody in this country because of their skin color? It is the Blacks' behavior that is different from Whites', not their skin color, that makes them deemed to be undesirable to some small minded non-Blacks: traditions, music, speech, food, dress, history, etc. I think all of us participating in this thread believe that discrimination against Blacks is unacceptable under any circumstances. But yet, there are some on this thread that still cling to the thought that discrimination against homosexuals is alright because homosexuals' "behavior" is different than the norm of the majority.

    That's a cop out.
    An irrational belief of a predisposition for bad behavior based on someone's race is prejudiced...as the color of someone's skin does not influence their physical propensity to, say, commit crime. On the other hand, It's a logical assumption that a gay person is practicing behavior and advocating for behaviors some people equate to a serious sin.

  9. #279
    Yes Scarlet. where is the tolerance for coach Brown's views? Sounds like you don't have any for him. Or am I misreading your posts?

  10. #280
    Travel Squad

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Boulder, CO
    Posts
    9,263
    Quote Originally Posted by huskernut View Post
    That's nothing more than an assertion introduced by back-handed claim of moral superiority ("I find it sad"). Surely you can do better than that.
    Your interpretation of my post is incorrect. What I find sad is that homosexuals continue to be discriminated against simply because one aspect of who they are is different than the majority's.
    "Those mothers would rather see the country go down in flames than let the times change."

    -- Samuel L. Jackson

  11. #281
    Cake or Death?
    The Impaler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    still in ********** Texas via Alliance
    Posts
    6,691
    Quote Originally Posted by SealBeachHusker View Post
    An irrational belief of a predisposition for bad behavior based on someone's race is prejudiced...as the color of someone's skin does not influence their physical propensity to, say, commit crime. On the other hand, It's a logical assumption that a gay person is practicing behavior and advocating for behaviors some people equate to a serious sin.
    If it is a serious sin (and I don't believe it is) then why does man have to judge it at all? If it truly is a sin and there truly is a God, then let God be the one to judge that. The way I see it, it doesn't affect anyone other than those partaking in the activity so why should it matter to anybody not partaking in the activity? Why should it matter to anyone what my wife's and my sex life is like? It doesn't and that's where the hypocrisy comes in.

    "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence." -Carl Sagan


  12. #282
    Cake or Death?
    The Impaler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    still in ********** Texas via Alliance
    Posts
    6,691
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Red Rick View Post
    Yes Scarlet. where is the tolerance for coach Brown's views? Sounds like you don't have any for him. Or am I misreading your posts?
    So if one is intolerant of intolerance what is it?

    "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence." -Carl Sagan


  13. #283
    Travel Squad

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Boulder, CO
    Posts
    9,263
    Quote Originally Posted by SealBeachHusker View Post
    An irrational belief of a predisposition for bad behavior based on someone's race is prejudiced...as the color of someone's skin does not influence their physical propensity to, say, commit crime. On the other hand, It's a logical assumption that a gay person is practicing behavior and advocating for behaviors some people equate to a serious sin.
    Everyone sins. Why is discrimination against gays, for example in hiring and housing, for their sins acceptable to so many religionists?
    "Those mothers would rather see the country go down in flames than let the times change."

    -- Samuel L. Jackson

  14. #284
    Society Crazy Indeed
    Pops's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    47,513
    Quote Originally Posted by SealBeachHusker View Post
    An irrational belief of a predisposition for bad behavior based on someone's race is prejudiced...as the color of someone's skin does not influence their physical propensity to, say, commit crime. On the other hand, It's a logical assumption that a gay person is practicing behavior and advocating for behaviors some people equate to a serious sin.
    so its a high level sin ...compared to those lower level sins?

    are not all sins created equal...why label some as "serious"


    I cannot be bought, compromised, detoured, lured away, turned back, deluded, or delayed. I will not flinch in the face of sacrifice, hesitate in the presence of adversity, negotiate at the table of the enemy, ponder at the pool of popularity, or meander in the maze of mediocrity.I wont give up, shut up, let up, until I have stayed up, stored up, prayed up, paid up, and showed up for all wounded children.

  15. #285
    Travel Squad

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Boulder, CO
    Posts
    9,263
    Quote Originally Posted by Pops View Post
    so its a high level sin ...compared to those lower level sins?

    are not all sins created equal...why label some as "serious"
    To justify the discrim. Come on, man, get with the program!
    "Those mothers would rather see the country go down in flames than let the times change."

    -- Samuel L. Jackson





Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •