Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.

Thread: Article On CWS Start Times

Hybrid View

Calling The Count
    "I've never quit anything in my life" -- Bo Pelini

I remember a thread about this a few months ago. The CWS isn't really a huge money maker for ESPN, certainly not when compared to international soccer tournaments like the Euro. Plus ESPN doesn't control start times of the soccer tournament, but they do with the CWS. With that said, ESPN has plenty of outlets to showcase the CWS, and why they don't put games on ESPNU is puzzling.

Calling The Count
    I understand the reasoning behind the move, but I question the fairness of it to the fans.

My brother and I share 4 Club Seats, and when MECA was pimping those at $1,650/seat, I don't recall them saying, "oh, btw, we're going to screw you every other year with when the games start due to ESPN"

Quote Originally Posted by Fromunda Cheese View Post
    I understand the reasoning behind the move, but I question the fairness of it to the fans.

My brother and I share 4 Club Seats, and when MECA was pimping those at $1,650/seat, I don't recall them saying, "oh, btw, we're going to screw you every other year with when the games start due to ESPN"
    I agree. ESPN should do what's right, and put the CWS on ESPNU when necessary. I don't get why they aren't. I guess they want to show more episodes of "The Experts" so 8 guys can argue about the same college football topic over and over again. I gotta think in mid-late June there's not much original/live programming scheduled for ESPNU.

the times are actually better, you can get more of a work day in and all...

5-Time National Champion

I hear ya there. They were definitely expensive.... (I think mine are actually $1,950/seat but I could be wrong) and when you take into account that you had to sign a 5 or 10 year contract to get them... That's a total of $16,500 per seat for the next 10 years (I chose the 10 year deal)), and I think the price actually goes up by 8% per year after year 5. It's a lot of money to be putting forward for games you may or may not be able to see. Especially for people like you and I who have 4 tickets at those prices.

I'm a night-owl, so the late games are my preference anyway, but I realize most people are "normal". lol. And those late games aren't going to work out so well for a lot of people.

Calling The Count
    the times are actually better, you can get more of a work day in and all...
    Depends on who you talk to. I have a 6 year old son, so how much of the 8pm games are we going to enjoy?

I know who will benefit greatly: The Old Mattress Factory. They recently bought the vacant Union Pacific building (the building directly north of the OMF, next to the stadium) and are renovating it getting ready for the CWS. That place will be rocking from 4pm to closing time...

Depends on who you talk to. I have a 6 year old son, so how much of the 8pm games are we going to enjoy?
    unless you have a STRICT curfew...enjoy the entire evening! Father/Son quality time is priceless!

Calling The Count
    Obviously you've never been around my son if he stays up past 9pm!!!!

Obviously you've never been around my son if he stays up past 9pm!!!!
    hyper or cranky?

Calling The Count
    cranky!

cranky!
    mountain dew or ice cream usually does the trick at that age.

pray for me ;)
    I don't care what time the game starts as long as I get to see my Huskers play!!!
    Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.Bill Watterson, cartoonist, "Calvin and Hobbes"

Husker Fan
    No biggie for those in the Mountain or Pacific time zones... darn late for those of us on the East Coast.

Calling The Count
    (I think mine are actually $1,950/seat but I could be wrong
    If yours are close to home plate they probably are more expensive, ours are above first base (which was $1650), farther down was $1,550 I believe.

I am taking advantage of the Creighton season tickets and parking pass they comp'd us, although Creighton sucks, its still nice to go down to the ball park and park and see games for free.

I can't say enough about the food on the Club level, especially the food stations in the lounge areas: Yummy!