Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Union Thugs at it again

Heisman

Quote Originally Posted by RedBlack&Blue View Post
    Teens?

You need to step out into the real world.

There are adults earning that. The rank and file.

The worst of corporate America would reduce wages to the bone and squeeze the worker dry. Don't kid yourself, we'd go back to 1908 in a heartbeat if the robber barons thought they could get away with it.

And, of course, there are plenty of abuses on the union side, no doubt. I don't advocate the hate speech, but I do advocate the fire and brimstone coming from union thugs, to keep the corporate thugs in line. And vice versa.

But go ahead now, all you neocons, tea partiers and right wing nuts, tell me what a crazy liberal unionist I am. Nuts to you.
    LOL, thanks for the laugh. I do step out into the real world on a regular basis. Yes, teens. That's pretty much the majority at all the local fast food joints, the car wash around the corner, the baggers and stockboys (and girls) at the local grocery stores and quite a few (no, not all) of the clerks at other local stores I visit.

Are there adults earning that? Sure there are. Are they "the rank and file" that you claim? Well, I don't know exactly what you mean by that nebulous statement, but they're far from the majority, and very few of them will STILL be in those jobs a year or two from now. As I stated, no they're not "middle class jobs." No one is trying to make that argument. And, maybe this is the disconnect - we're not going to be able to make them into middle class jobs either. But those adults who (usually temporarily) hold those jobs probably appreciate them vs. being unemployed while they search for a better job and career position to help them become established in that middle class, don't you think?

Has anyone ever noticed the correlation between the increase of the minimum wage to the decrease of the middle class?

They are inverted...

Junior Varsity
    Quote Originally Posted by cm husker View Post
    Do you think $10 an hour jobs will create a strong middle class?

What about $8 jobs versus no or less jobs?

Is a higher price on goods harder on the lower and middle class people or the upper class (i.e. is it regressive)?

What % of minimum wage earners are 26 or older (I.e. the middle class age demographic)?
    Great questions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warhorse View Post
    Thank God for Obama saving and transforming our economy albeit slower than any (including him) would like.

All Big 10

Quote Originally Posted by RedBlack&Blue View Post
    Teens?

You need to step out into the real world.

There are adults earning that. The rank and file.

The worst of corporate America would reduce wages to the bone and squeeze the worker dry. Don't kid yourself, we'd go back to 1908 in a heartbeat if the robber barons thought they could get away with it.

And, of course, there are plenty of abuses on the union side, no doubt. I don't advocate the hate speech, but I do advocate the fire and brimstone coming from union thugs, to keep the corporate thugs in line. And vice versa.

But go ahead now, all you neocons, tea partiers and right wing nuts, tell me what a crazy liberal unionist I am. Nuts to you.
    Here's the thing. Wages would go down as much as the market for labor allows them to decrease. Artificially bolstering them inherently means there will be more under employment and unemployment. Who does that help?

Im fine with coming up with creative ways to help working class Americans share in the high productivity modern economy, such as an extension of the eitc or other "safety net" programs, but I don't think the one size fits all minimum wage approach is the right one.

And, it is mostly kids and young entrants who work for minimum wage (50% of those earning MW, even though though they comprise only 20% or the work force). Raising it will hurt them significantly.

Here's the thing. Wages would go down as much as the market for labor allows them to decrease. Artificially bolstering them inherently means there will be more under employment and unemployment. Who does that help?

Im fine with coming up with creative ways to help working class Americans share in the high productivity modern economy, such as an extension of the eitc or other "safety net" programs, but I don't think the one size fits all minimum wage approach is the right one.

And, it is mostly kids and young entrants who work for minimum wage (50% of those earning MW, even though though they comprise only 20% or the work force). Raising it will hurt them significantly.
    Well said, sir!

Heisman

Watch out, don't try to tell RB&B that its mostly kids and young entrants even though its true, or he'll admonish you to "step out into the real world."