Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.

Thread: Cornhusker Kernel Klub

Administrator

Cornhusker Kernel Klub

I received this by email. Has anyone else received a membership in the Cornhusker Kernel Klub? It looks like something that was done by the athletic department at the time.

Gentlemen
    I was hoping you can help. I was born in 1951 in Lincoln and at the time of birth, my parents received, on my behalf, a membership certificate into the Cornhusker Kernels Klub. I have not heard of, or seen anyone else with one of these. I am sure there were many given out. Have you run across anyone or heard of these? I attached a copy of mine.

Thanks,
    Don

"I'm a firm believer in the theory that people only do their best at things they truly enjoy. It is difficult to excel at something you don't enjoy." – Jack Nicklaus

Founding Father
    No......BUT I WANT ONE!!

Husker Immortal
    Cool idea. I wish I had one.
    I really hate Penn State! (And I'm not that wild about Iowa either.)

Big 12 Champs
    Good thing they spelled Cornhusker with a C and not a K.
    "Just because somebody's a talented guy or he's right for a lot of people
    doesn't mean he's right for us here at Nebraska." -Bo Pelini, 2/3/10

Oh my!
    First time I have ever heard of it
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." Ayn Rand

"Hillary has been cheated on more than a blind woman playing Scrabble. With gypsies." Dennis Miller

Red Shirt
    My dad was born in '52 and my late grandfather went to UNL and was a huge football fan/contributor. I will ask my dad.

Scout Team
    I was born in Iowa.

Recruit

Skunkman should be a charter member due to his sweet whole Kernel cornl

Quote Originally Posted by jmatlock View Post
    Skunkman should be a charter member due to his sweet whole Kernel cornl
    trying to butter up skunk to get some freebies???

Red Shirt

It was signed by bill glassford and probably something that went away when the next coach took over.

Varsity

wonder where my certificate is located?? This is a great idea, though recycled, i hope UNL goes with it !!!

Administrator

Received this response by email.

Good morning David. Hope all is well with you and your family. Just getting back to you about the Cornhusker Kernals Klub certificate that was on your forum the other day. A couple of years ago I asked Coach Glassford about these, and the following details are what he remembered.

He thinks they were given out in 1950 and 1951. They were given to newborn sons of Nebraska alumni and other important people to the university, i.e. donors. He didn't remember who came up with the idea or why it ended.

This is only the third one I have seen (we have two in our collection, one from 1950 and one from 1951). Most were probably thrown away or are still in the possession of the recipient or his family. It is a very cool piece of Husker memorabilia.

Hope this information helps!

GO BIG RED!!!
    "I'm a firm believer in the theory that people only do their best at things they truly enjoy. It is difficult to excel at something you don't enjoy." – Jack Nicklaus