Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: "Futuristic" uniforms option

Quote Originally Posted by DuckTownHusker View Post
    The people who bitch about the black uniforms are the same people who quietly and politely knit quilts in Memorial Stadium during games.

If black uniforms get the players fired up, they'll get the fans fired up. And Lord knows that we could use some more fired up fans on game day. Half the time, our house sounds like a tomb because the blue hairs are too busy daydreaming about Dana X. Bible and the Ole Rattlesnake Boys of Nineteen-Dickety-Two.

No, we're not.

We, well at least I, actually want some creativity brought into this.

Slapping black on our uni is an easy out. Using some black is perfectly fine.

A black helmet with a red N isn't even close to being creative, attention getting, modern, hip, cool or anything else that makes this a worthy endeavor.

My concern is that they'll rely too heavily on the black to try to be different, but will end up looking like a cheap imitation of TT or Georgia.

Red Shirt
    Quote Originally Posted by GoBigfRed View Post
    Sounds like a game to listen to on the radio and leave my seats empty.

Sad
    Cool. Can I buy your ticket(s)?

God I admire you.
    There are conflicting "insider" reports based on another board. One said this same info, another said that black helmets were rejected (along with chrome helmets) along with a bunch of other proposed designs. Nobody needs to get their panties in a wad or too excited just yet...
    "Just because somebody's a talented guy or he's right for a lot of people
    doesn't mean he's right for us here at Nebraska." -Bo Pelini, 2/3/10

All Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by FeelLikeAStranger View Post
    There are conflicting "insider" reports based on another board. One said this same info, another said that black helmets were rejected (along with chrome helmets) along with a bunch of other proposed designs. Nobody needs to get their panties in a wad or too excited just yet...
    if we don't change our Uniforms for one game next year than I am going to listen to the games on the radio
    Just because I rock doesn't mean I am made of stone

Varsity
    Changing the uniform:

-It wont help you to win a game.
    -It won't cause you to loose a game either.

-Programs with rich history don't have to change use alternate uniforms to gain the attention of top recruits
    -How many of those programs have a "talent gap" to deal with in their back yard that's comparable to NU's.

-Programs like Bama, tOSU, OU, etc....have won games without making major changes to their uniforms.
    -Those programs didn't win because the DIDN'T change their uniform either.

-I don't want to look like Texas Tech, Georgia, etc.....
    -(Dumbest argument in my opinion) When your school colors are red and white or some variation of the two, your uniform will look like some other programs....so what (we currently look like Wisconsin, Indiana, Louisville, Rutgers, Miami (Ohio), Stanford, Utah, Cornell, & OU.....as all have worn uni's that look similar or exactly like NU)

The point is, this is going to do nothing to harm the tradition of Nebraska football. That tradition is carried by the support of the fans through the highs and the lows, no matter if you agree with the direction or disagree with staff hires. The players are on board, the coach is on board, the A.D. is on board, the fans should follow suit, and it will only provide more revenue for the program as well as add a little hype around a game played on Saturday which always helps with the recruits whom are looking in our direction.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Reign View Post
    Steven M. Sipple@HuskerExtraSip Abdullah says NU offense will be "like a storm." I asked what type of storm. His reply: "What type of storm scares you most?" #Huskers

God forbid we have a little fun every once in a while.

Whhhhaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!

Somebody get the blue hairs a tissue!

The players are on board, the coach is on board, the A.D. is on board, the fans should follow suit,
    This. I think whatever they come up with, it will generate more excitment and exposure for our program and that is impossible to be bad. Personally, I am excited about trying something like this for one game. GO BIG RED!!!

Junior Varsity
    Quote Originally Posted by unmartin View Post
    if we don't change our Uniforms for one game next year than I am going to listen to the games on the radio

All American
    Quote Originally Posted by FeelLikeAStranger View Post

Solly > Bummerbry
    For the loser now will be later to win. For the times they are a-changin'.

Red Shirt
    I vote for FUN!!!

A poll would be interesting: how many Fun Fans are out there vs. Traditional (boring) Fans.
    I don't create polls though, cuz I always mess them up.
    “It was almost like being the president.” - Jack Hoffman, in the White House.

Varsity
    Quote Originally Posted by Redrobin View Post
    I vote for FUN!!!

A poll would be interesting: how many Fun Fans are out there vs. Traditional (boring) Fans.
    I don't create polls though, cuz I always mess them up.
    Awww. You're slacking. You gotta learn how to mess up polls that someone else creates
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Reign View Post
    Steven M. Sipple@HuskerExtraSip Abdullah says NU offense will be "like a storm." I asked what type of storm. His reply: "What type of storm scares you most?" #Huskers

Quote Originally Posted by HuskerRedDread View Post
    Changing the uniform:

-(Dumbest argument in my opinion) When your school colors are red and white or some variation of the two, your uniform will look like some other programs....so what (we currently look like Wisconsin, Indiana, Louisville, Rutgers, Miami (Ohio), Stanford, Utah, Cornell, & OU.....as all have worn uni's that look similar or exactly like NU)

Actually, while I'm OK with the futuristic uniforms as long as they're well done, this is the dumbest argument IN FAVOR of the uniforms.

Just as USC owns Gold and Maroon, PSU owns dark blue and white, Texas owns burnt orange, and 'Bama and Oklahoma share that wine color they wear, WE ARE THE BIG RED.

There is no other. We are not Louisville red or Wisconsin red (who copied us, FYI), Indiana red or any other red.

We own it.

Get that into your thinking.

Actually, while I'm OK with the futuristic uniforms as long as they're well done, this is the dumbest argument IN FAVOR of the uniforms.

Just as USC owns Gold and Maroon, PSU owns dark blue and white, Texas owns burnt orange, and 'Bama and Oklahoma share that wine color they wear, WE ARE THE BIG RED.

There is no other. We are not Louisville red or Wisconsin red (who copied us, FYI), Indiana red or any other red.

We own it.

But the official school colors are scarlet and cream aren't they? You don't see the "purists" threatening to boycott games because we are wearing red and white...

Quote Originally Posted by RedBlack&Blue:921503
    Quote Originally Posted by HuskerRedDread View Post
    Changing the uniform:

We own it.

So why doesn't EVERYONE wear red at games???

Get THAT into your thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by redtildead95 View Post

Never happen. Memorial stadium has never had EVERY fan wear red for any game in history. This has been discussed at nauseum... BUT, the percentages have steadily grown since the 70s. When all these blue hairs and traditionalists were hippies or wearing mullets in the 70s and 80s, the stadium was about two thirds red. It has gradually increased over the years til now where its over 3/4s red. To the naked eye, and on HD TV it looks spectacular! Thats not going to change... even if we came out with cream unis for one game!

Its seems everyone's memory from going to games in the 80s and 90s said "every one wore red then, now theres too much black and grey!" yet in a thread last year everyone was challenged to find a stadium shot from the 80s and 90s where there was more red in the stadium than now, and * surprize * nobody could find one.

Scout Team
    Quote Originally Posted by RedBlack&Blue View Post
    No, we're not.

We, well at least I, actually want some creativity brought into this.

Slapping black on our uni is an easy out. Using some black is perfectly fine.

A black helmet with a red N isn't even close to being creative, attention getting, modern, hip, cool or anything else that makes this a worthy endeavor.

My concern is that they'll rely too heavily on the black to try to be different, but will end up looking like a cheap imitation of TT or Georgia.
    Those are great points, and I agree. Black uniforms are neither good nor bad - they could be either.

I don't want to look like a hot mess, but at the same time I really get irked by the fans who gripe about the littlest things - like changing the facemask from gray to red.

Quote Originally Posted by DuckTownHusker:921546

Those are great points, and I agree. Black uniforms are neither good nor bad - they could be either.

I don't want to look like a hot mess, but at the same time I really get irked by the fans who gripe about the littlest things - like changing the facemask from gray to red.
    Agreed. And the argument that black isn't a school color and is simply the fad doesn't carry much weight to me since the blackshirt tradition is just as iconic and readily recognizable to people outside the program and fanbase as the red N on the helmet...while not official it is a part of us whether the anti black uni folks like it or not.

Quote Originally Posted by redtildead95 View Post

Because they're making fashion statements.

The preponderance of black is darkening, literally, the sea of red. Not a good thing.

Don't be so quick to give up ownership of Red. We've worked hard for it for over 50 years.

Quote Originally Posted by caNUfeelit View Post
    But the official school colors are scarlet and cream aren't they? You don't see the "purists" threatening to boycott games because we are wearing red and white...
    Splitting hairs IMO.

Scarlet = Red.

The cream vs white just isn't that important or noticeable, since there are varying shades of cream, and most of what I've seen from NU over the life of the program (Admittedly hard to tell in the old B/W photos,)is of a lighter cream closer to white.

And, since the modern era began, we've owned "Go Big Red."

Quote Originally Posted by DuckTownHusker View Post

I agree.

Uniform changes have always happened. Heck, we just played a throwback game with black numbers on the helmets. That was really cool, and I didn't hear many complaints.