Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Howells NE DL Bazata commits to Iowa

Hybrid View

Howells NE DL Bazata commits to Iowa

Has NU completely missed out on him and how much of a loss is he?

Does anyone know?

Travel Squad

Quote Originally Posted by RedEd View Post

Does anyone know?
    Would have had to camp at NU before Bo and co. would even consider offering him, and even then it would be a stretch and a January or so offer....

Yup....

Quote Originally Posted by ShortSideOption View Post
    Would have had to camp at NU before Bo and co. would even consider offering him, and even then it would be a stretch and a January or so offer....
    Notre Dame only had one Rudy but Nebraska gets a new crop of Rudys every season

Bazata did go to that combine this last weekend, but it sounds like that had little, if anything to do with NU. He did a 4.9 40, which isn't bad for a D tackle, but he does seem to be a gamble for Iowa. Congratulations to him for a full ride, though.

Thanks guys.

Scout Team
    Quote Originally Posted by RedEd View Post

Does anyone know?
    With the kids Nebraska is after and will eventually get to fill out their OL class...its no loss at all.

#1 Husker Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by N2FL View Post
    With the kids Nebraska is after and will eventually get to fill out their OL class...its no loss at all.
    Completely agree.
    I would give my life for anyone one of them as i would my own family. -Pops

It doesn’t matter if the glass is half full or half empty. What matters is you have a glass that has something in it. Some people have no glass, or have a glass with nothing in it. So appreciate all that is in your life and quit questioning whether your glass in half full or half empty.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Howells is just up the road from me. That Bazata name has been around for a long time and they all seemed to be great athletes. To be honest he may be a great success, but one thing in that article sounded funny. Didn't Iowa say they are going to go after people that were maybe overlooked, fit their scheme or something similar to what Bo said when he first got here. Now aren't we changing our recruiting philosophy?

Any way good luck to him.

Travel Squad

RedEd, I thought about your question a bit and want to clarify. I feel like I kind of bashed the kids ability with the response, and that's not fair to Bazata. In actuality, kids like him and Ott are what our program was built on in our glory days. The difference is, TO and Devaney had the luxury of them walking on. Like others said, we are in on other guys that are more highly regarded and we have to have our scholarship offers used on them. No doubt in my mind that Bazata or Ott would get a preferred walk-on offer for sure, but you can't blame them for taking the free education at a Division 1 school.

So, yes we did miss out on a guy that could have been a valuable back-up for depth or that COULD eventually turn in to another walk-on all-american....but we have guys on our board that at this point in time our staff as well as others feel could be better "gambles".

RedEd, I thought about your question a bit and want to clarify. I feel like I kind of bashed the kids ability with the response, and that's not fair to Bazata. In actuality, kids like him and Ott are what our program was built on in our glory days. The difference is, TO and Devaney had the luxury of them walking on. Like others said, we are in on other guys that are more highly regarded and we have to have our scholarship offers used on them. No doubt in my mind that Bazata or Ott would get a preferred walk-on offer for sure, but you can't blame them for taking the free education at a Division 1 school.

So, yes we did miss out on a guy that could have been a valuable back-up for depth or that COULD eventually turn in to another walk-on all-american....but we have guys on our board that at this point in time our staff as well as others feel could be better "gambles".

nice post

IMO, it all comes down to "have we seen him in our camp..." and to a lesser extent do we know the results from a credible combine? If a kid thinks he has a chance, he should be in our camp the summer after his sophomore year.

Steinkuhler was an offer from the era before you had camps and combines... although we may have instituted a camp by the time we offered him... (Barry Switzer was the innovator on the camps - he had one a number of years before we did).

Eight man is a gamble unless you really have an idea of the kid's athletic ability... Steinkuhler was playing running back... and projected as a stand up Defensive End (OLB).

Clearly Iowa feels the need to stretch a bit more than our staff does, and believes they can leverage this on some players. That is what happened here... They weren't able to leverage Zack Sterup... probably because he started getting interest from UCLA and some other schools with cachet...

Still, TO was willing go for a player on the bubble from time to time, but probably not this early in the recruiting cycle.

Scout Team
    Iowa's not happy unless they grab some Nebraska kids. They have grabbed a few Neb players over the years but none IMHO that we missed on.

Recruit
    Quote Originally Posted by HuttoHusker View Post
    Iowa's not happy unless they grab some Nebraska kids. They have grabbed a few Neb players over the years but none IMHO that we missed on.
    I would consider Shaun Prater a miss.....He was a pretty good get out of Omaha for Iowa
    "There's three ways to do things, the right way, the wrong way and the way that I do it. " - Nicky Santoro

"All things end badly, or else they wouldn't end. " - Brian Flanagan

I agree on him....but it happens once in a blue moon.....

This youngman is a walk-on now and perhaps a late offer IF we lose out on much higher targets....I think if we offer he flips....but honestly I don't see that happening with the class we are building...

Iowa rolling the dice on this one....more power to them and very best of luck to him...

Quote Originally Posted by Drozz View Post
    I would consider Shaun Prater a miss.....He was a pretty good get out of Omaha for Iowa
    Notre Dame only had one Rudy but Nebraska gets a new crop of Rudys every season

Scout Team
    Yeah.. I thought about Prater but we have had some pretty good CB's during the same time frame that he may not have been a starter until this last year IMHO

Junior Varsity
    I agree, however, the issue was Shane. They offered Shane a scholarship and we offered a walk on, Shaun was a good get and Shane was a miss.