Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.

Thread: Norwood Teague Minnesota's New AD

SuperFan

Norwood Teague Minnesota's New AD

http://www.gophersports.com/genrel/042312aae.html

I'm very optimistic on this hire. After hearing him talk I certainly feel a ton better about Teague and certainly believes he has what you'd call 'it'. Joel Maturi has done well here, but there has been more than a few choices he's made or things he's said that drives most Gopher fans up a pole. Teague seems almost like the anti-Maturi.

Any other feedback you guys have on him or his hire?
    SKI-U-MAH!

Recruit

Have an ex son-in-law who is a VCU grad.I am still close with him,and we made many trips back to Richmond.The alums we have talked with are big on this hire.He did big things at VCU athletics as well as his ability to bring in donors to the program.They hate to see him go,but are glad to see him get his shot at the big time.Personally I think it is a good hire.I knew nothing of the one he is replacing.Good luck to him and your school.

SuperFan
    All I've heard here is how this is basically a Home Run hire. Personally I love how when he talks it's not the usual rhetoric we've gotten with Maturi (whom I've met multiple times and like) or the car salesman pitches. I've noticed his answer to the question of "What's the first thing on your agenda?", which is, "get out to the people and listen".

You cannot understand how refreshing that is to hear up here.
    SKI-U-MAH!

Red Shirt
    But does he know anything about the Minnesota State Religion? I am speaking, of course, about hockey.

Varsity

Quote Originally Posted by Formo View Post
    All I've heard here is how this is basically a Home Run hire. Personally I love how when he talks it's not the usual rhetoric we've gotten with Maturi (whom I've met multiple times and like) or the car salesman pitches. I've noticed his answer to the question of "What's the first thing on your agenda?", which is, "get out to the people and listen".

You cannot understand how refreshing that is to hear up here.
    I'm a George Mason fan but Teague did great things at VCU. IMO he's very good at recognizing talent and not going for the "splash hire" just because it's expected. When Anthony Grant left for Alabama it's Teague who went out and found Shaka Smart. Nobody in the CAA is quite sure how he managed to do it, but Teague's also the guy who found enough money to pay Smart $1.2 million and not blow the budget. He's got experience with D-1A football too because he worked at UNC and UVA previously.

I'm really rather surprised Teague decided to leave VCU because it's been widely rumored for a month or more, with a new "confirmation" coming just yesterday, that George Mason and VCU (along with potentially Butler) are going to join the A-10 on May 1. I guess Teague wanted a new challenge in the Big 10 rather than guiding VCU in to a new conference.

Personally, I'm glad he's gone because Teague's also the guy who made sure the CAA tournament stayed in Richmond every year.
    Don't do a drug you find in Oakland. Ever.---The Oral History of the Big 12

SuperFan
    Thanks for the insight SWVA. I've seen a lot of articles lately from VA saying how as much of a loss Teague's departure was at VCU, its that much more a gain for Minnesota. Reminds me very much of how a ton of Southern Illinois University fans became Gopher fans because of Jerry Kill. This is a good thing, IMO.
    SKI-U-MAH!