Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Screw the Rose Bowl!

Red Shirt

Screw the Rose Bowl!

I don't want other B1G schools to think "that they just don't get it," but screw the rose bowl.

If we have an opportunity to get a 4 team player off with the semi-final games being played on campus and Delany objects because he wants to protect the Rose Bowl... Man I would be mad. That would be crazy.

National Championships are more important than winning the rose bowl.

All Legend
    What about the concept of keeping the bowl games with conference alignments as it used to be. (no BCS involvement) They finish up by January 1st. Then have a 4 team playoff with the top four teams. Lou Holtz suggested this concept recently.

I think I'm in favor of this. It keeps the Bowl games relevant and interesting, and the fans get a much needed play off too.
    It's a great day to be a Husker Fan!
    Live By The Code!
    (29-13-3) GATA If you see a skunk in the middle of the road, do you run it over or let it live? That is a quandary?

Junior Varsity
    Quote Originally Posted by BuffSurveyor View Post
    What about the concept of keeping the bowl games with conference alignments as it used to be. (no BCS involvement) They finish up by January 1st. Then have a 4 team playoff with the top four teams. Lou Holtz suggested this concept recently.

I think I'm in favor of this. It keeps the Bowl games relevant and interesting, and the fans get a much needed play off too.
    Yes, just return the bowl games to conference affiliations and "at large" invitations. Then rank the teams after the bowls and have a four team playoff over the next two weeks.

Husker Immortal
    Quote Originally Posted by PimpMario View Post
    ....not in the B1G....didn't you get the memo?
    "I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious." -- Vince Lombardi

Varsity

Quote Originally Posted by PimpMario View Post
    I don't want other B1G schools to think "that they just don't get it," but screw the rose bowl.

If we have an opportunity to get a 4 team player off with the semi-final games being played on campus and Delany objects because he wants to protect the Rose Bowl... Man I would be mad. That would be crazy.

you just dont get it!!! B1G will ALWAYS have a rep in the RB ,when the NCAA goes to a two game NCG format.

Society Crazy Indeed
    Quote Originally Posted by ThotDoc View Post
    ....not in the B1G....didn't you get the memo?

lol, well that only took a year. Just 2 short years ago it was the BIG 12s fault.

Failure is the condiment that gives success its flavor.

Travel Squad

Quote Originally Posted by BuffSurveyor View Post

Not a bad idea, but I see a couple problems.

First, the Rose is the only bowl that currently automatically matches two power conference champs. So those conferences' champs will have a much tougher road to the final four than will a conference who can go to their home bowl and then pick their at-large opponent (and don't think the Sugar Bowl, with its tie-in to the SEC, will not take the best disguised patsy it can find; e.g., the Va Tech team of last year -- a big name program that had a really weak team (for a BCS bowl)).

Second, there will be a lot of playoff rematches from the bowls a week or two before. If the #1 or #2 team going into the bowls loses a close game to a #5 or #6 or#7 in the bowl, they might turn right around and play the same team again. Uncool.
    "Those mothers would rather see the country go down in flames than let the times change."

-- Samuel L. Jackson

Scout Team
    They can preserve the Rose Bowl - by taking the playoff teams out of the pool. Then the BCS Bowls are free to choose whichever teams they want.

Example: LSU, Alabama, Stanford, and Oklahoma State are the Top 4 teams. They get removed from bowl eligibility and are put into the playoff bracket.

The BCS Bowls are then free to select teams as always. Of course, there could also be a clause which dictates how BCS Bowls choose teams. Since both LSU and Alabama made the playoff, it may seem unfair to award a Sugar Bowl berth to yet another SEC team.

Here's my estimation of what 2011 would have looked like:

Playoff Teams: LSU, Alabama, Stanford, Oklahoma State
    Rose: Wisconsin v. Oregon
    Sugar: Michigan v. Virginia Tech
    Fiesta: Kansas State v. Arkansas/Boise State
    Orange: Clemson v. West Virginia

Interestingly the Rose, Sugar and Orange Bowls are IDENTICAL. We already lost LSU and Alabama to the National Title, but because the #3 and #4 teams (Stan/Okie State) were both in the Fiesta Bowl, we get a new matchup; most likely KState v. Arkansas or Boise State. You could also make an argument for swapping Oregon/Stanford. The Ducks were very very slightly lower ranked than Stanford, but they also won the conference. Either way, the teams remain the same overall.

The SEC gets 2/3 teams (if Arkansas makes the cut). The B1G, PAC, ACC and XII each have 2 and the Big East gets 1. The Mountain/USA/East/Conference Whatever Boise State's in this week would possibly get a berth too, assuming they beat out Arkansas.

All things considered, it's a great breakdown. The SEC (rightfully) gets a slight advantage, which is reasonable considering their recent track record. All the other major conferences get 2 teams appearing each.

Personally, I think that if you're a Top 4 team you should be gunning for a National Title, not a Rose Bowl win. Just like the current system, you can't win both. If you play in a BCS Bowl, you weren't good enough for the playoffs. The 3 teams who DON'T win the playoffs can't really complain about not getting a BCS berth either. It's do or die when it comes to a title.
    5 National Titles. 9 Undefeated Seasons. 50 Bowl Appearances. 43 Conference Championships. 10 Division Titles.

3 Heisman Winners. 54 Consensus All-Americans. 28 Major Award Winners. 23 College Football Hall of Famers.

There is No Place Like Nebraska.

Red Shirt
    We should have a 4 team playoff and the bowls (that are viable and actually PAY teams) should still exist.

If a B1G or Pac 12 team is in the playoff the rose bowl can got to the next team from that conference if they want.

Pretty simple really.

The rose bowl is not currently the most important bowl game so not a whole lot changes by adding a playoff.

Antediluvian Abrasiveness
    In other words, the Rose Bowl needs to step aside so you can have your playoffs? Unbelievable. We (anti playoff folks) predicted this would happen all along. You "playoff now" guys used to be much better at hiding your goal of making college football NFL lite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth View Post
    Sonny once again proving that he is the biggest piece of ******** on Huskermax. Congrats on earning this title, sir.
    http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...+leaves+office

Quote Originally Posted by DuckTownHusker View Post
    They can preserve the Rose Bowl - by taking the playoff teams out of the pool. Then the BCS Bowls are free to choose whichever teams they want.

Example: LSU, Alabama, Stanford, and Oklahoma State are the Top 4 teams. They get removed from bowl eligibility and are put into the playoff bracket.

The BCS Bowls are then free to select teams as always. Of course, there could also be a clause which dictates how BCS Bowls choose teams. Since both LSU and Alabama made the playoff, it may seem unfair to award a Sugar Bowl berth to yet another SEC team.

Here's my estimation of what 2011 would have looked like:

Playoff Teams: LSU, Alabama, Stanford, Oklahoma State
    Rose: Wisconsin v. Oregon
    Sugar: Michigan v. Virginia Tech
    Fiesta: Kansas State v. Arkansas/Boise State
    Orange: Clemson v. West Virginia

Interestingly the Rose, Sugar and Orange Bowls are IDENTICAL. We already lost LSU and Alabama to the National Title, but because the #3 and #4 teams (Stan/Okie State) were both in the Fiesta Bowl, we get a new matchup; most likely KState v. Arkansas or Boise State. You could also make an argument for swapping Oregon/Stanford. The Ducks were very very slightly lower ranked than Stanford, but they also won the conference. Either way, the teams remain the same overall.

The SEC gets 2/3 teams (if Arkansas makes the cut). The B1G, PAC, ACC and XII each have 2 and the Big East gets 1. The Mountain/USA/East/Conference Whatever Boise State's in this week would possibly get a berth too, assuming they beat out Arkansas.

All things considered, it's a great breakdown. The SEC (rightfully) gets a slight advantage, which is reasonable considering their recent track record. All the other major conferences get 2 teams appearing each.

Personally, I think that if you're a Top 4 team you should be gunning for a National Title, not a Rose Bowl win. Just like the current system, you can't win both. If you play in a BCS Bowl, you weren't good enough for the playoffs. The 3 teams who DON'T win the playoffs can't really complain about not getting a BCS berth either. It's do or die when it comes to a title.

This plan makes perfect sense, so it will likely never see the light of day.

Red Shirt

Quote Originally Posted by Sonuvahusker View Post
    In other words, the Rose Bowl needs to step aside so you can have your playoffs? Unbelievable. We (anti playoff folks) predicted this would happen all along. You "playoff now" guys used to be much better at hiding your goal of making college football NFL lite.
    Yawn. It's a bowl game. A bowl game that matters nothing at all anymore in the scheme of crowning a national champion. Which, last I checked is the reason why teams play.

Red Shirt
    I am quote unquote antiplayoff. But it is coming. You can't hide your head in the sand and hope it doesn't come. Since it is coming I love the idea of playing the semi-final games on college campuses. I think the B1G should use the Rose Bowl to leverage getting those games on college campuses.

I didn't care about the Rose Bowl before joining the B1G and now I am not a fan of it at all if it hurts the chances of a fair playoff system that doesnt disadvantage Northern schools.

Society Crazy Indeed

Aint that the truth! Jerry world will get the rights to the championship game....user friendly

Failure is the condiment that gives success its flavor.

Scout Team

The Big 10 is obsessed with tradition...often to the point of stupidity. Tradition is great and should be embraced, but there are times when you have to evolve. Now is that time.