Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: KETV is reporting that Dennard was arrested

Junior Varsity
    Quote Originally Posted by utsker View Post
    Maybe they're smart enough to see what alcohol can do and avoid it. It has nothing to do with being fortunate, it has to do with making the right choices to begin with.
    Of course, because everybody is so smart they don't make bad choices, and there has never been a fight without alcohol involved. Man, wouldn't life be grand if this were true.
    When I do good, I feel good; when I do bad, I feel bad, and that is my religion. - A. Lincoln

We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are. - Anais Nin

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. - Sir W. Churchill

Spend 50% of your time taking care of your business and 50% leaving everyone else's alone.

Recruit

Some of you are just fair weather fans. This same "Thug" was the same guy you were praising and cheering for when he was on the field. All of us have screwed up at some point in time. That's why we have forgiveness. "He who has no sin cast the first stone"

I hope he learns from his mistake and grows up from it. I wish him nothing but success at the next level!

Society Crazy Indeed
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruddman23 View Post
    Some of you are just fair weather fans. This same "Thug" was the same guy you were praising and cheering for when he was on the field. All of us have screwed up at some point in time. That's why we have forgiveness. "He who has no sin cast the first stone"

I hope he learns from his mistake and grows up from it. I wish him nothing but success at the next level!
    So you are ok with these type of things happening to players because you are a "true" fan. I have enough sin to spread it around to the members here on this board but! that doesn't mean I would want anyone to excuse it if i had the opportunity to play football at this level. We can forgive all day all year all life long but its up to the person to forgive themselves....until that happens, nothing changes.

I cannot be bought, compromised, detoured, lured away, turned back, deluded, or delayed. I will not flinch in the face of sacrifice, hesitate in the presence of adversity, negotiate at the table of the enemy, ponder at the pool of popularity, or meander in the maze of mediocrity.I wont give up, shut up, let up, until I have stayed up, stored up, prayed up, paid up, and showed up for all wounded children.

Red Shirt
    Quote Originally Posted by Californication View Post
    Of course, because everybody is so smart they don't make bad choices, and there has never been a fight without alcohol involved. Man, wouldn't life be grand if this were true.
    True everyone makes bad choices. I have done things in my life I'm not proud of, but nobody is writing about me. I didn't have the talent to make it to the big stage like Dennard did. It comes with the territory of being an NFL draft prospect that when you screw up, everyone hears about it. But he should know that he is held to a higher standard. I am not afraid to call him a thug. If you hit a cop and it takes more officers to bring you down, it smells like thug to me. I wouldn't feel comfortable leaving my kid with him to babysit. Good luck to him and his future, but he will always be remembered by me as the player that hit a cop a couple of weeks before the draft. CLOWN....
    Nebraska Football
    I don't know any other way to live...

Recruit

Quote Originally Posted by Pops View Post
    So you are ok with these type of things happening to players because you are a "true" fan. I have enough sin to spread it around to the members here on this board but! that doesn't mean I would want anyone to excuse it if i had the opportunity to play football at this level. We can forgive all day all year all life long but its up to the person to forgive themselves....until that happens, nothing changes.
    Did not say excuse it. I said we all make mistakes. He will have to pay for that mistake and it is going to cost him a ton of money. People just calling him a Thug or trash or anything else like that is wrong and that's what I am saying. How many other times has he had issues while he was here? Plus how many of us were there? Did he see a cop was the one pulling him apart? Does he have to learn from this and grow up from it, Yes he does.

Recruit

More of the story coming out:

http://www.omaha.com/article/20120423/NEWS01/304249997

Reading this it makes you wonder what was going through his mind. I am guessing he is stressed out because of the draft and all but he will need to find other ways to relieve that stress. Got to grow up and got to control anger and stress. Still supporting him just hoping for change.

There's one standard we all should have: the ability to look in the mirror and not only live with who we are, but have the satisfaction of knowing those close to us care and want the best for us. It's only real when it's not dependent on fame, ability or money.

Many may try to avoid it, but life is pretty crappy trying to live without it.

I sincerely hope Alphonso finds and embraces it and we all realize our little world of entertainment and "fandom" has precious little to do with it.

Recruit

True words beans very true

Husker Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Pops View Post

I don't think the poster you are responding to is excusing the behavior. I don't think ANYONE is.

But like SWVA said...let's reserve the "thug" label for real thugs. Dennard was at NU for 4 or 5 years without incident and was, as far as we know, a good citizen. We've all known good guys who really screwed the pooch in some isolated incendent. Hopefully Dennard's case is more like that than LP or Thunder Collins.

Varsity

Quote Originally Posted by bilsker View Post
    I don't think the poster you are responding to is excusing the behavior. I don't think ANYONE is.

But like SWVA said...let's reserve the "thug" label for real thugs. Dennard was at NU for 4 or 5 years without incident and was, as far as we know, a good citizen. We've all known good guys who really screwed the pooch in some isolated incendent. Hopefully Dennard's case is more like that than LP or Thunder Collins.
    Exactly right. At one time, through athletics, I worked with a lot of kids that were "on the edge" as far as staying out of trouble. Very good kids that for one reason or another were susceptible to poor judgement somewhere along the way. Not because they wanted to do something wrong, but were brought up in a way that may have left them more inclined to make a poor decision along the way. Not bad kids, and it would've been easy to just throw them away....label them as "thugs", but if you really got to know these kids there was so much potential to be productive citizens. And if you kept them on a path that gave them a chance to make the right decisions, more often than not they would turn out to be solid people as they grew up.

Not saying any of this is the case with Dennard, I really don't know his situation, but certainly haven't heard any off field issues from him before.

Another thing I wonder about which I haven't seen mentioned. Especially, other than speculation, I don't believe I've ever seen "official" mention of intoxication. It's been a long time ago, but I do remember something that fueled me to make some really stupid decisions and moves at that age.

Girls. At that age there are many of them that love to create drama, particularly between guys if they can stir it up.

I'm at an age now where I can't remember HOW hot women caused me to become a complete idiot, but I know it happened, I was there. And I know it happened to many friends that I had. By the grace of God, I never had legal issues because of a woman, but it could've happened.

Don't know if that may have had something to do with what happened the other night, but it could've.

Part of why the players I used to hang around with when I was younger knew enough to generally stay out of the bars. There's always some little twit that's out there trying to make a name for themselves by stirring up trouble with a player. A hot girl would often be the ignition.

Not meant to be an excuse for what he did. Just speculation on what would lead to such a poor choice in behavior.
    "Lay it down, forget it, take off your red, choose another team ... or stick with it."

Scout Team

Dennard charged with felony

LINCOLN – Former Nebraska football player Alfonzo Dennard, accused of punching a Lincoln police officer last weekend, was charged with a felony Monday, just three days before the NFL draft begins.

The 22-year-old NFL prospect appeared Monday afternoon in Lancaster County Court, where a judge set bond at $5,000 and prosecutors charged Dennard with third-degree assault on an officer. He will next appear in court on May 15.

Read the rest at the OWH link

Quote Originally Posted by bilsker View Post

I agree. The thug label is really inappropriate for one likely alcohol induced mistake. I hope that Dennard learns from this and is able to move on. I think back on the utter stupidity of some of the things I did at that age and how lucky I was not to get in more serious trouble, and realize that I'm in no place to haughtily condemn a young man who obviously made a very big mistake.
    "The distinctive mark of the Christian, today more than ever, must be love for the poor, the weak, the suffering." Pope John Paul II

Starter

Oh, let's count the excuses:
    1) must've been the alcohol (though he was not charged with being drunk);
    2) must've been his upbringing and background that lends itself to trouble;
    3) must've been some pipsqueek trying to make a name for himself picking on poor Alphonso;
    4) must've been the Lincoln police, which are always after the most popular guys in the State; &
    5) Must've been a girl, they are always manipilating guys for kicks.

And, since there's not been a previously reported incident, we're required to assume that this is the first issue with Alphonso. That it could happen to ANYBODY. I call BS. When is the last time YOU or anyone of your friends assaulted mutiple people and then hit a cop when one asked you to leave? It really doesn't happen to people other than thugs. I seriously doubt this is the first incident that AD has had in Lincoln, it's probably just the first time he hit a cop.

PS--I have no problem with having some thugs on the team, they are often good football players. It likely keeps them out of even more trouble.

Junior Varsity
    Quote Originally Posted by Greatest Fan of All View Post
    3) must've been some pipsqueek trying to make a name for himself picking on poor Alphonso;
    4) must've been the Lincoln police, which are always after the most popular guys in the State; &

And, since there's not been a previously reported incident, we're required to assume that this is the first issue with Alphonso. That it could happen to ANYBODY. I call BS. When is the last time YOU or anyone of your friends assaulted mutiple people and then hit a cop when one asked you to leave? It really doesn't happen to people other than thugs. I seriously doubt this is the first incident that AD has had in Lincoln, it's probably just the first time he hit a cop.
    Do you actually have any information to substantiate your doubts, or are you just speculating here?

Starter

Quote Originally Posted by Brew City Husker View Post
    Do you actually have any information to substantiate your doubts, or are you just speculating here?
    Just speculating, as are all of the people that are assuming this is his first incident.

PS--I have no problem with having some thugs on the team, they are often good football players. It likely keeps them out of even more trouble.
    That's nice. Fortunately we have a head coach who strongly disagrees with you.

It's possible that some day, you'll post something I agree with. But I'm not holding my breath.
    "The distinctive mark of the Christian, today more than ever, must be love for the poor, the weak, the suffering." Pope John Paul II

Varsity

Hmmmmmm.......you certainly seem to be taking this a bit personally.

Do you indentify with the "pipsqueak", as you call him, that stirs up trouble, runs and hides behind the girls while throwing out condescending names to the guy that he thinks should be getting in a LOT more trouble, not understanding why everybody else doesn't want to pile on like you do? I guess it makes sense.

Pretty sad.
    "Lay it down, forget it, take off your red, choose another team ... or stick with it."

Quote Originally Posted by Nebugeater View Post
    Dennard charged with felony

Read the rest at the OWH link

I don't see him getting drafted now. He's not good enough to overcome a felony.

Starter

Quote Originally Posted by GoBigfRed View Post
    Hmmmmmm.......you certainly seem to be taking this a bit personally.

Do you indentify with the "pipsqueak", as you call him, that stirs up trouble, runs and hides behind the girls while throwing out condescending names to the guy that he thinks should be getting in a LOT more trouble, not understanding why everybody else doesn't want to pile on like you do? I guess it makes sense.

Pretty sad.
    Pretty sad that excuses are made for criminal behavior, just because someone has a little athletic talent and plays for the right team.

PS--nothing personal about this to me.

Starter

Quote Originally Posted by ChitownHusker View Post
    That's nice. Fortunately we have a head coach who strongly disagrees with you.

It's possible that some day, you'll post something I agree with. But I'm not holding my breath.
    Don't believe everything you read. If you think these guys are all a bunch of Rex Burkhead types, think again. The vast majority of these guys are really good kids, but when you gather over 100 young, aggressive men together...there will be some that don't believe in rules. Unfortunately, some of these will be among your best players, and coaches tend to look the other way for those (until they can't).