Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.

Thread: Spring Game Against Old Foes Instead of Team Scrimmages

Spring Game Against Old Foes Instead of Team Scrimmages

I've always thought this would be a great idea, and it sounds like it's starting to gain some traction:

Dabo Swinney’s plan to revolutionize college football

Clemson’s Dabo Swinney is one of college football’s biggest advocates for the NCAA permitting a spring scrimmage against another team.

We’ve always endorsed the idea for three reasons: It would further enhance the enormous popularity of college football, it would give players and fans something to look forward to during the middle of the offseason, and most importantly it would generate much-needed revenue for college athletic departments struggling in the tough economy. Or proceeds could be donated to charity.

UGA vs. Clemson.
    Texas A&M vs. Texas
    Georgia Tech vs. Alabama
    Oklahoma vs. Nebraska
    Tennessee vs. Virginia Tech
    Penn State vs. Pittsburgh
    Auburn vs. FSU
    http://blogs.ajc.com/recruiting/2012...lege-football/

I think the greatest potential here is to play teams we no longer can due to conference realignment. How about some games against our old foes from the Big 8? no reason we couldn't schedule Oklahoma/KU/Mizzou/etc.

As the article points out, offseason games are already common in other sports like volleyball and basketball, so this isn't a very controversial or new idea.

I would only make one tiny suggestion: let teams play 2 spring games, so that they can get a home and away game. The NCAA rule could be very simple: teams are allowed to play 1 home and 1 away game during the Spring, and the teams can figure out who and when they play and under what rules.

Scout Team
    I'm on the fence on this one, on one hand it sounds great just because..and on the other hand I can see it being a risk for injury

Starter

Quote Originally Posted by peder View Post
    I've always thought this would be a great idea, and it sounds like it's starting to gain some traction:

Dabo Swinney’s plan to revolutionize college football

http://blogs.ajc.com/recruiting/2012...lege-football/

I think the greatest potential here is to play teams we no longer can due to conference realignment. How about some games against our old foes from the Big 8? no reason we couldn't schedule Oklahoma/KU/Mizzou/etc.

As the article points out, offseason games are already common in other sports like volleyball and basketball, so this isn't a very controversial or new idea.

I would only make one tiny suggestion: let teams play 2 spring games, so that they can get a home and away game. The NCAA rule could be very simple: teams are allowed to play 1 home and 1 away game during the Spring, and the teams can figure out who and when they play and under what rules.
    A very good idea that would end up being ruined by the greed of the athletic departments. I can see the $50 ticket prices now. I can see early season ratings skewed by the results of an "exhibition game." I can see some here clamor for a spring playoff, LOL Ok, just joking on the playoff).

I want this idea to gain some momentum. With conference expansion, it's impossible to play everyone in your conference, and 12 games increasingly feels like too few.

Varsity

I'm not for it. It would lead to less opportunity for younger, up and coming players during the spring because there'd be pressure building to actually win. That'd lead to the already established players getting more attention and on field time.
    "Lay it down, forget it, take off your red, choose another team ... or stick with it."

Starter

Please stop trying to turn college football into pro football.
    I cried because I had no shoes until I saw a man that had no feet.

Quote Originally Posted by HuttoHusker View Post
    I'm on the fence on this one, on one hand it sounds great just because..and on the other hand I can see it being a risk for injury
    Especially that Texas A&M vs. Texas one... that will NOT be a "spring practice".

All American
    It's fun to think about, but spring ball is for teaching and development.

I'd sell a kidney for a win vs. OU, so the pressure to "win" the spring game would interfere with working with the young players.
    Go Big Red!

Blackshirt
    Nope, too many variables, HCD is correct. teach & evaluate.

Quote Originally Posted by Warhorse View Post
    Please stop trying to turn college football into pro football.
    I don't think this would be like pro football at all. But then, I'm not in favor of making the spring games exhibition games, either. I'd just as soon have a couple of Spring games that matter, just like we do with the volleyball team.

Red Shirt
    No way this happens in my lifetime....Too much risk to lose anybody to injury, little lone your star player for the year over a skirmish against another team that won't mean anything but bragging rights. Yards, scores and win/losses won't make it into the record books.

Why would you do that anyway when you know Husker fan will pack Memorial Stadium for a gloirified practice, make a boat load of money and you don't even have to break out your playbook in the process...
    "Winning isn't everything in Nebraska Football, but we rate it right up there with oxygen."

Bob Devaney

Blackshirt
    Spring game against old foes = Bad Idea!
    It's a great day to be a Husker Fan!
    Live By The Code!
    (28-13-3) GATA If you see a skunk in the middle of the road, do you run it over or let it live? That is a quandary?

Husker Fan

Quote Originally Posted by GoBigfRed View Post
    I'm not for it. It would lead to less opportunity for younger, up and coming players during the spring because there'd be pressure building to actually win. That'd lead to the already established players getting more attention and on field time.

Occasionally fred is right. This is one of those times.

Bad idea for so many reasons...
    Notre Dame only had one Rudy but Nebraska gets a new crop of Rudys every season