Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Damon Benning Leaves Omaha Northwest Hanging

Red Shirt

Damon Benning Leaves Omaha Northwest Hanging

http://www.omaha.com/article/2012041...ZONE/704199802

So, four months before fall camp, Benning "resigns" at Northwest? LOSER!

He does this to them, after all his blowing smoke about being there for the long term and turning the program around?

3 years Benning was 0-27.

Hey DB, please go on 1620 The Zone and tell us again whats wrong with Nebraska Football and how to fix it! You have even more credibility now then you did before (which is <0)

And to those at Unsportsmanlike Conduct, especially Mike'l Severe, you've known for weeks that he left NW, and didn't say a word.

Interesting that you are willing to throw everyone else under the bus and make light of everyone else's failures, but not your "boy" Damon Benning.
    "I've never quit anything in my life" -- Bo Pelini

Husker Immortal
    disheartening to say the least

Varsity

Do you actually know the particulars?

Knowing how these things usually work, it's probably been discussed internally for some time and nobody at the school was caught by surprise. In most probability, the move was probably a mutually agreed upon decision.
    "Lay it down, forget it, take off your red, choose another team ... or stick with it."

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by GoBigfRed View Post

Knowing how these things usually work, it's probably been discussed internally for some time and nobody at the school was caught by surprise. In most probability, the move was probably a mutually agreed upon decision.
    Good point. Just a quick read of the article indicates they wanted a full-time guy there:

"It was obvious he loved the kids and the school,'' the A.D. said. "The typical thing that hamstrung his ability to get where he wanted and we wanted with the program was that he wasn't in the building. It's tough to be a leader when you're not there full time."
    Benning works at the Teacher Administrative Center at 3215 Cuming St.

Varsity

Quote Originally Posted by Fromunda Cheese View Post

He does this to them, after all his blowing smoke about being there for the long term and turning the program around?

Hey DB, please go on 1620 The Zone and tell us again whats wrong with Nebraska Football and how to fix it! You have even more credibility now then you did before (which is <0)

And to those at Unsportsmanlike Conduct, especially Mike'l Severe, you've known for weeks that he left NW, and didn't say a word.

Interesting that you are willing to throw everyone else under the bus and make light of everyone else's failures, but not your "boy" Damon Benning.

I dont listen to that drivel from USC, ever!!!! Take some deep breathes. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by JHudson View Post
    Good point. Just a quick read of the article indicates they wanted a full-time guy there:
    Speaking from experience, it's always better to have your HS football coach also be a full-time teacher. With that said, IMO, it shouldn't have been too hard for Benning to become a full-time employee at Northwest High School, if that was a big sticking point for the school and Benning.

Red Shirt
    I know that four months before fall camp he "resigns"

And I know that he has the gall to go on USC and criticize Pelini & Co, even though Benning was 0-27 as a football coach.

And I know that Mike'l Severe is quick to rip/make light of/throw under the bus anybody who fails and/or quits, EXCEPT Damon Benning.
    "I've never quit anything in my life" -- Bo Pelini

Is 4 months in advance of a highschool football really leaving them hanging and does it really equate to LOSER? You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but it seems a bit overboard to me.

Scout Team
    I believe he is better off doing something else other than coaching. What, I don't know but coaching High School was not his thing.

Germaphobe
    From what I have heard (inmates run the asylum theory), he didn't have much to work with either. Northwest has been a perennial loser when it comes to football. I know, I went there. They kept Frank Hanel around for waaaay too long and now the position is a revolving door. Somebody has to have a doormat in their league.

At any rate, not being on site always confused me. I had never heard of a coach that wasn't also a teacher at the school. At least in Omaha.
    Quantity does not equate to Quality...

You guys are unbelievable.

Recruit

Would like to know the whole story

Recruit

If you want to ask him why email him at dbenning21@gmail.com I just talked to him and he asked me to publish that link.

folks at whatever site you're referring to can email me at dbenning21@gmail.com w/ concerns. Empty cans tend to rattle loudest.

Husker Immortal
    Quote Originally Posted by HawthorneHusker View Post
    From what I have heard (inmates run the asylum theory), he didn't have much to work with either. Northwest has been a perennial loser when it comes to football. I know, I went there. They kept Frank Hanel around for waaaay too long and now the position is a revolving door. Somebody has to have a doormat in their league.

At any rate, not being on site always confused me. I had never heard of a coach that wasn't also a teacher at the school. At least in Omaha.
    Boy, that's a name from the past. I worked with his wife at Morton Jr. High way back when.
    I really hate Penn State! (And I'm not that wild about Iowa either.)

Junior Varsity
    The title of thread is borderline comedy. The season is 4 months away, and they already named a replacement. Against all odds, they pulled through and made it through 2 whole weeks without a coach in the middle of the offseason. The title of the thread should be "I don't like Damon Benning."
    ~Yeah, well, you know, that's just like, uh, your opinion, man.~
    J. Lebowski

Red Shirt

And I know that he has the gall to go on USC and criticize Pelini & Co, even though Benning was 0-27 as a football coach.

And I know that Mike'l Severe is quick to rip/make light of/throw under the bus anybody who fails and/or quits, EXCEPT Damon Benning.
    Sounds like someone has an axe to grind....

Varsity

I would think that D.Benning is more qualified to critique Husker football than you are to critique how he or if he should be able to leave a program. Sounds like you have a personal issue with him and if that's the case maybe you should take that up with him, but knowing him personally and working him regularly I know this wasn't a spur of the moment decision and no one was left in shock, as you pointed out, if USC knew about it for weeks, I'm sure the school knew also.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pops View Post
    Well look at this! it is true..when one loses one sense..in this case a sense of humor, the other senses are heightened...In this case, a sense of self importance

Varsity
    Quote Originally Posted by Porkchopexpress View Post
    Speaking from experience, it's always better to have your HS football coach also be a full-time teacher. With that said, IMO, it shouldn't have been too hard for Benning to become a full-time employee at Northwest High School, if that was a big sticking point for the school and Benning.
    Maybe that's the case in Nebraska, but I know as a player whom attended James Madison (San Antonio), my coach didn't work in the school and many of the other coaches in the city weren't teachers also.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pops View Post
    Well look at this! it is true..when one loses one sense..in this case a sense of humor, the other senses are heightened...In this case, a sense of self importance

Husker Fan

Way too harsh. But you've had it out for benning for some time.

And for what it's worth Benning is far and away the most insightful, knowledgable and credible "analysts" anywhere in the state when it comes to Nebraska football.

Husker Fan

1. This isn't college football. 4 months "before fall camp" is entirely MEANINGLESS in Nebraska High School football. Completely.

2. That he didn't win...understatement...doesn't mean he doesn't know the game.

3. I see your wood is pointed at Severe as well. As fRed said..it wasn't likely a secret and it was likely mutual (if not a straight up "firing"). Doesn't sound like a "quit" thing at all.

Husker Fan

Quote Originally Posted by HawthorneHusker View Post

They are a perenial loser at everything. Every sport. All of their teams get killed. Cheese ripped on benning a while back and I went back and looked at their basketball records (girls and boys) and it's not much better than football. The girls regularly get beat 60-10 and the boys stink too. Northwest sports are probably among the nation's worst.