Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.

Thread: A very good Wednesday on the pitch

Hybrid View

A very good Wednesday on the pitch

It doesn't get much better in terms of soccer for me. Chelsea did just enough to win perhaps the biggest home game at Stamford Bridge in years over Barca, and Sporting KC went to the Pacific Northwest (or is it called the Pacific Southwest in Canada?), and improved to 7-0 with a 3-1 win over Vancouver. Commentators at the SKC game said they were lucky the Canucks had a playoff game at the same time, so the crowd in Vancouver was smaller and more quieter than normal.

Playing in Spain you have to hope the refs have not been paid off ahead of time....

La Liga is a such a joke...a two team league....Messi would be lucky to score 25 goals in the EPL....

Quote Originally Posted by Porkchopexpress View Post
    It doesn't get much better in terms of soccer for me. Chelsea did just enough to win perhaps the biggest home game at Stanford Bridge in years over Barca, and Sporting KC went to the Pacific Northwest (or is it called the Pacific Southwest in Canada?), and improved to 7-0 with a 3-1 win over Vancouver. Commentators at the SKC game said they were lucky the Canucks had a playoff game at the same time, so the crowd in Vancouver was smaller and more quieter than normal.
    Notre Dame only had one Rudy but Nebraska gets a new crop of Rudys every season

Quote Originally Posted by Red Reign View Post
    Playing in Spain you have to hope the refs have not been paid off ahead of time....

La Liga is a such a joke...a two team league....Messi would be lucky to score 25 goals in the EPL....
    That's what I'm worried about. I really hope Chelsea falls into a goal next week, forcing Barca to score at least 3. I'm just glad Chelsea didn't give up a goal yesterday.

Scout Team
    yeah same here, worried Bayern will go to real and get jobbed by the officials. But we had an English crew in Germany so we will see. I think real come out full throttle and hope bayern can hit em with a couple good counter attacks, maybe see Schweinny score from 20 yards out and Bayern get a chance to play in the finals.

In Spain a reason to be worried...they will pull out all the stops....diving etc with an assist from the refs....because they cant' play straight up against good compeition....this is not La liga and they know it...

English refs are the best....

If they pick Italian refs you are done for...

Quote Originally Posted by Dotsee View Post
    yeah same here, worried Bayern will go to real and get jobbed by the officials. But we had an English crew in Germany so we will see. I think real come out full throttle and hope bayern can hit em with a couple good counter attacks, maybe see Schweinny score from 20 yards out and Bayern get a chance to play in the finals.

Travel Squad

In Spain a reason to be worried...they will pull out all the stops....diving etc with an assist from the refs....because they cant' play straight up against good compeition....this is not La liga and they know it...

English refs are the best....

If they pick Italian refs you are done for...

No question that La Liga is not as deep a league as is the EPL. But it would be tough to argue that Barcelona is not the best club side in the world. They are not quite the same team without David Villa, however.

And I am not quite sure how you can talk about Spanish diving right after that display that Drogba put on Wednesday.
    "Those mothers would rather see the country go down in flames than let the times change."

-- Samuel L. Jackson

would a team rather win the Champions League or is it a bigger deal to win their own countries championship
    /

Scout Team
    Quote Originally Posted by mjw11 View Post
    would a team rather win the Champions League or is it a bigger deal to win their own countries championship
    /
    Hey, I am in a position to answer as a Bayern fan...and it's sorta like the NFL, would you rather win your division or the Super Bowl. The Bundesliga regular season is all about placing for tournaments and also you get the trophy for winning. But, a lot of fans will have no clue who won the Bundesliga, EPL, La Liga...a bunch know who wins the Champions League Also, if you look at Bayern's jerseys, they have 4 stars next to their crest, these starts signify Champion's League titles.

Hope that helps

Also, with transfer fees and player salaries, this is how clubs are able to sign/keep their stars. As an example:

http://champions-league-betting.com/...-sports-events

Also this which is, from their wiki and for 2010 - 2011

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Champions_League
    Prize Money

As of 2010–11, UEFA awards €2.1 million to each team in the play-offs round. For reaching the group stage, UEFA awards €3.9 million, plus €550,000 per group match played. A win in the group is awarded €800,000 and a draw is worth €400,000. In addition, UEFA pays teams reaching the first knockout round €3 million, each quarter finalist €3.3 million, €4.2 million for each semi-finalist, €5.6 million for the runners-up and €9 million for the winners.[45]

• Playoffs: €2,100,000
    • Group stage: €3,900,000
    • For each match in group stage: €550,000
    • Group match victory: €800,000
    • Group match draw: €400,000
    • Round of 16: €3,000,000
    • Quarter-finals: €3,300,000
    • Semi-finals: €4,200,000
    • Losing Finalist: €5,600,000
    • Winning the Final: €9,000,000

A large part of the distributed revenue from the UEFA Champions League is linked to the "market pool", the distribution of which is determined by the value of the television market in each country. For the 2010–11 season, Manchester United, who lost the final, earned nearly €53.2 million in total, compared with the €51.0 million earned by Barcelona, who won the tournament.

So in addition to their local deals and league deals the CL can pay hugely for the teams involved.

In England winning the EPL and FA Cup have always been top of the list....the European Cup now called the Champions league though lucrative $$ wise has never been top of the list for English players or team owners....

/

Scout Team
    In England winning the EPL and FA Cup have always been top of the list....the European Cup now called the Champions league though lucrative $$ wise has never been top of the list for English players or team owners....
    I would say the same a few years ago about Bayern, and the Bundesliga, but do you start to sense a turn in that in the EPL with the huge sums of money that the CL throws at teams for making it deep into the tournament. I think every team says they want to win the league title, but since with no sort of salary cap, player salaries escalating, the money has started to become so lucrative in the CL it's hard to ignore.

Money is going to kill the EPL and LA Liga....every team is carrying huge debt....the transfer system is the problem....teams spending money on players they can't afford even with the payments spread out....something has to give or you are going to see a domino effect of clubs going bankrupt...and a few teams have already had issues...

So the CL helps very few teams and even the ones it does are in huge debt (i.e. Manchester United and Real Madrid)

Quote Originally Posted by Dotsee View Post
    I would say the same a few years ago about Bayern, and the Bundesliga, but do you start to sense a turn in that in the EPL with the huge sums of money that the CL throws at teams for making it deep into the tournament. I think every team says they want to win the league title, but since with no sort of salary cap, player salaries escalating, the money has started to become so lucrative in the CL it's hard to ignore.

Scout Team
    Money is going to kill the EPL and LA Liga....every team is carrying huge debt....the transfer system is the problem....teams spending money on players they can't afford even with the payments spread out....something has to give or you are going to see a domino effect of clubs going bankrupt...and a few teams have already had issues...

So the CL helps very few teams and even the ones it does are in huge debt (i.e. Manchester United and Real Madrid)

That is why I asked that, but I think teams can manage it effectively, but they haven't and now are starting to pay the price.

/
    Tough call, but I'll side with Red, and say the country championship is bigger than the Champions League. However, it's a really, really close call. I say the country championship is more important, because you're playing natural rivals that date back to the late 1800's in some cases. The Champions League is a great trophy to win, but a lot of that has to do with a good draw, and avoiding certain teams.