Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kentucky's Starting Five All Declare for Draft

Varsity

Kentucky's Starting Five All Declare for Draft

http://espn.go.com/nba/draft2012/sto...ares-nba-draft

Tell me again why Men's College Basketball is a sport that we want to be good at when even the best programs serve as a temporary flop house for high-profile prospects.

This should destroy UK's APR, right?
    "OK. Appreciate the info." Bo Pelini

Husker Fan

oh the APR is definitely going to take a hit.

Rollin' Huskers
    Wherever our RV is parked - currently Mission TX
    APR indeed will be hit....but that TROPHY is still real shiny
    GBR
    Badger by birth - Husker by choice !!!

Husker Immortal
    Wouldnt you love to have a basketball program that could be in a position to have this type of problem?
    "I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious." -- Vince Lombardi

Husker Immortal
    Frees up 5 more scholarships real fast so they can reload once again.
    "I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious." -- Vince Lombardi

Quote Originally Posted by Husker Mort View Post
    http://espn.go.com/nba/draft2012/sto...ares-nba-draft

Tell me again why Men's College Basketball is a sport that we want to be good at when even the best programs serve as a temporary flop house for high-profile prospects.

This should destroy UK's APR, right?
    Can't be that big of a deal if the NCAA is saying basketball's APR is one point lower than football's...
    In the NCAA’s high-profile sports, football’s average four-year APR is 946, up two points over last year; men’s basketball is 945, up five points; and baseball is 959, up five points.
    http://www.ncaa.com/news/ncaa/2011-0...ow-improvement

Of course, the easy way to fix this problem is for the NBA to lower the age limit to 18...

Husker Fan

I THINK that their APR won't take a hit if the players leave in good standing academically and having passed enough classes to show "progress" toward a degree. Now, if they all stopped going to class after the season and flunk the second semester that would be a problem. Like I said...I think that's how it works. Schools can't be punished for "passing students" that choose to leave early. Seems like Calipari does right by his players and I'm guessing they are generally loyal enough to not screw him by dropping out mid-semester. That, or he knows the axe will fall eventually and he'll just move on to the next gig!

On the topic of players leaving early. I'd like to see more of a college baseball rule where they either go pro after H.S. or they have to wait three years after that. But that's dicey too...what right does anyone have to say WHEN someone can go get a job? Fact is this is good for the NBA and therefore they aren't going to change it. The way it is now they probably get stuck with fewer flops...everyone assumed Barnes would be 1 and done but he stayed for 2 years and the NBA is getting a more "ready" player...if it was the baseball rule they may have ended up with a guy who wasn't and may never have recovered from his struggles.

Husker Fan

Quote Originally Posted by ThotDoc View Post
    Wouldnt you love to have a basketball program that could be in a position to have this type of problem?

I'm sure it's fun...but at the same time it doesn't have that college sports "feel" to it. And that it what makes college so much better than the pros in basketball and football to me. These aren't "Kentucky guys". They are there for a cup of coffee. Mercenaries.

All Big 10
    Yeah, I don't know how I'd feel if basically ALL our key players were there for a short time. I can't say it would feel like it was even Nebraska. Not sure I would root for them.
    Moving on...

Welcome Coach Riley! Go Big Red!!!

Probably one of the main reasons why I don't like it.....of course, I really don't like basketball to begin with. How can you say "I will prepare these young men for life" as a coach? Those kids will buy into a one year plan if they believe in the coach but this isn't fun, I have no interest in following a team or player for one year. Why lower the age? The Lebron's and Kobe's come around what maybe every 10 years? At least this way we get to see them play for a year, better than nothing I guess

Husker Fan

make it 3 years or nothing. this middling agreement of 1 year is atrocious.

Varsity
    Quote Originally Posted by Huskers57 View Post
    Agreed.
    "OK. Appreciate the info." Bo Pelini

Husker Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Huskers57 View Post
    It's all up to the NBA really. And apparently this system is working for them so it's not likely to change.

Red Shirt
    This is why the rule is STUPID! Quit wasting these kids time by making them go to college if they are good enough to play in the NBA out of high school. If anything do what baseball does, change the NBA D-League to the "minor" leagues where you can slowly bring these kids along. Then say if you choose to go to college you have to stay 3 years minimum. What good would college have done for Lebron, Kobe, even Durant isn't the player he is because his one year at Texas!

Husker Immortal
    Let's face it. The major basketball schools are the NBA's developmental program and they don't even have to pay for it.