Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lest we forget

Lest we forget

RIP, Brook. I still get a bit misty eyed when I think of that awful day 16 years ago.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brook_Berringer

Scout Team

Junior Varsity
    Thanks Queso,
    I think of him quite often. When I close my eyes I can still see his plays and his smile on the sidelines.
    “If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.”
    Samuel Adams

What a sad and tragic loss that was. Rest In Peace Brook.

Varsity

misty eyed, check out the facebook tribute to Brook from the University. One of the first things i saw this morning.

Junior Varsity
    Brook is gone, but certainly not forgotten. Very nice tributes to him.
    (old Gaelic saying) Chan eil h-uile facal sireadh freagairt. Not every question requires an answer.

More important than a football player the world lost a wonderful person. If you have not read the two books about him you are all missing something. He was not perfect, but I have no doubt that he would have grown into a wonderful mentor.

Red Shirt

Told people all day I didn't even follow Husker football till Aug 1996. Read some things on BB and gained a new respect for the University and for him. I change my Profile Picture every year on 18 Apr to a picture of him. Hard to explain how a guy I never met and had only seen video of and read stories about could impact me that much. He lived his life each and everyday and made people around him better people for knowing him. RIP. I still get choked up every year to start the season I play the Nebraska song before kickoff.

Travel Squad

Quote Originally Posted by hskrncibolo View Post
    misty eyed, check out the facebook tribute to Brook from the University. One of the first things i saw this morning.
    what's the link?

Scout Team
    Wow... I'm crying like a baby, how lucky was Husker nation to have Brook. Hard to understand all of the words but very powerfull.

Husker Immortal
    a sad day indeed.

SuperFan
    Had no clue about this.. Terrible.
    SKI-U-MAH!

Junior Varsity
    (old Gaelic saying) Chan eil h-uile facal sireadh freagairt. Not every question requires an answer.

All American
    I prefer to celebrate Brook's life, rather than mourn his death.

He was a great individual human being. Something we could all aspire to.

I didn't recall Brook being that great of a runner, but he did make good decisions with the ball.

IMO, his best two plays: The play-action pass for a TD against CU in the 200th consecutive sellout, and the play-action pass for a TD vs. Miami for our first TD against Miami in 12 years.
    [television commercial] Hi, I'm Ricky Bobby. If you don't cheer for Big Red, then f-*bleep* you.

Recruit

I remember the morning that I woke up and my parents told me about it and I just balled my 10 year old eyes out. Brook was a big part of how I became a huge Nebraska fan, and he's a big part of why I could never have another "number 1" team.

Besides that, I think Brook and I might've gotten along quite well, he had a passion for football, hunting, and of course aviation. Really a damn shame it ended how it did for him.