Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.

Thread: Levon Helm in final stages of his battle with cancer

Unhappy Levon Helm in final stages of his battle with cancer

Dear Friends,
    Levon is in the final stages of his battle with cancer. Please send your prayers and love to him as he makes his way through this part of his journey.

Thank you fans and music lovers who have made his life so filled with joy and celebration... he has loved nothing more than to play, to fill the room up with music, lay down the back beat, and make the people dance! He did it every time he took the stage...

We appreciate all the love and support and concern.

From his daughter Amy, and wife Sandy
    http://www.levonhelm.com/
    Notre Dame only had one Rudy but Nebraska gets a new crop of Rudys every season

Very sad to hear.

Society Crazy Indeed
    sad indeed....

Failure is the condiment that gives success its flavor.

That is so sad. I am happy he was able to start singing again a few years ago in new england with his daughter. I am going to have to watch the Last Waltz...again now.......

That really sucks. Cancer sucks. Sounds like he is surrounded by loved ones, that's all you can ask for at this point.

That's terrible...

He's always been a complete class act, graceful drummer and singer, human metronome, and all around musical genius.

nm57

SOFTCHARGER
    Sad, bad news.

Recruit
    Just read the article on Drudge. What a shame. Levon's method made The Band what it was.

Quote Originally Posted by Kanay View Post
    Just read the article on Drudge. What a shame. Levon's method made The Band what it was.

Historically, there haven't many things cooler than Helm and Danko harmonizing on vocals.
    nm57

Yup a guy I have had immense respect for as a person and a gifted musician....not many you can say that about....

Quote Originally Posted by joestrummer View Post
    He's always been a complete class act, graceful drummer and singer, human metronome, and all around musical genius.

Travel Squad

Quote Originally Posted by Red Reign View Post
    Yup a guy I have had immense respect for as a person and a gifted musician....not many you can say that about....
    Levon's gone.

I saw him live only once, and it happened to be at the concert now known as The Last Waltz, Thanksgiving, 1976. One of the two greatest musical nights of my life.

At my age, when these people who were a part of shaping who we are leave us through natural causes after full lives, it really makes me realize how short of a period we are on this flying rock.
    "Those mothers would rather see the country go down in flames than let the times change."

-- Samuel L. Jackson

A great one has passed....

"Take a load off" Levon. May you rest in peace.

Travel Squad

Quote Originally Posted by O'Husker View Post
    "Take a load off" Levon. May you rest in peace.
    Amen.
    "Those mothers would rather see the country go down in flames than let the times change."

-- Samuel L. Jackson