Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Discovery is home.

  1. #1

  2. #2
    All Big 10
    FLA4NEB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Central FLA
    Posts
    18,698
    Her home is in space...My personal opinion is the fleet should have been kept until we had a replacement ready. They should have retrofitted one of the Shuttles for a long duration space flight attached to the ISS and limited the number of flights to maybe 1 or 2 a years.
    I am Fred Lawrence Anderson and I approve this post.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by FLA4NEB View Post
    Her home is in space...My personal opinion is the fleet should have been kept until we had a replacement ready. They should have retrofitted one of the Shuttles for a long duration space flight attached to the ISS and limited the number of flights to maybe 1 or 2 a years.
    Completely agree. It's a shame our space program is in the state it is in despite the massive government spending over the years. Studies have shown that spending on space exploration pays a fantastic dividend in terms of the development of new technologies on earth -- why wasn't a big chunk of the stimulus allocated to NASA?
    "The distinctive mark of the Christian, today more than ever, must be love for the poor, the weak, the suffering." Pope John Paul II


  4. #4
    Husker Immortal
    CombatTargeteer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    119,731
    and it's just the beginning...

  5. #5
    Guest

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Posts
    4,793



  6. #6
    All Big 10
    FLA4NEB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Central FLA
    Posts
    18,698
    Quote Originally Posted by ChitownHusker View Post
    Completely agree. It's a shame our space program is in the state it is in despite the massive government spending over the years. Studies have shown that spending on space exploration pays a fantastic dividend in terms of the development of new technologies on earth -- why wasn't a big chunk of the stimulus allocated to NASA?
    Well there weren't any big donors or donors companies associated with NASA that is why.

    I am glad to see companies like SpaceX stepping up with their own rockets. Getting into orbit is old hat now, there is no reason why private industry can't do it (well they are doing and to a point that the old NASA contractors are scrabbling to compete with these new startups).

    NASA needs to refocus on big science not big transportation. Let private companies do the launch systems, orbital platforms, planetary space ships.

    (there was a article in the newspaper the other week about how the ISS was a science ghost town. A lot of what was planned to be done up there has been done, can be modeled in computers now, or isn't important because of other advances. NASA is having a hard time finding partners to fill all the science bays up there. Kind of sad that we spent 100 billion on something that is just know complete, on the edge of obsolesces, and in a decade is planed to be sunk in the an ocean.)
    I am Fred Lawrence Anderson and I approve this post.

  7. #7
    Husker Fan

    Join Date
    Feb 2000
    Posts
    40,855

  8. #8
    All Big 10
    FLA4NEB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Central FLA
    Posts
    18,698
    Quote Originally Posted by Huskers57 View Post
    Can you sing it in Chinese?
    I am Fred Lawrence Anderson and I approve this post.

  9. #9
    Husker Fan

    Join Date
    Feb 2000
    Posts
    40,855
    Quote Originally Posted by FLA4NEB View Post
    Can you sing it in Chinese?
    is it in chinese?

  10. #10
    All Big 10
    FLA4NEB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Central FLA
    Posts
    18,698
    Quote Originally Posted by Huskers57 View Post
    is it in chinese?
    Sorry it was a little joke based on the fact that China is catching up to us very fast in space and plan to put men on the moon by 2020 and establish a base there possibly.
    I am Fred Lawrence Anderson and I approve this post.

  11. #11
    Moderator
    redmachine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 1999
    Location
    Northern VA
    Posts
    7,439
    Took this a bit ago on its way to the Air and Space Museum:

    "The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- (Thomas Jefferson)
    “Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you.” -- (Benjamin Franklin)

  12. #12
    Husker Fan

    Join Date
    Feb 2000
    Posts
    40,855
    Quote Originally Posted by redmachine View Post
    Took this a bit ago on its way to the Air and Space Museum:

    I nominate this as PICTURE OF THE YEAR FOR HM 2012!

  13. #13
    Husker Fan

    Join Date
    Feb 2000
    Posts
    40,855
    Quote Originally Posted by FLA4NEB View Post
    Sorry it was a little joke based on the fact that China is catching up to us very fast in space and plan to put men on the moon by 2020 and establish a base there possibly.

    They very well will pass us shortly...

    PS no worries on the apology. I thought after you posted, it was in chinese...but I see your point about the Chinese.

    Also if you were wondering...I know the words/lyrics to the song that's why I picked that one out to post...but I can't hear the words (obviously)







Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •