Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Great Series!

Red Shirt

Great Series!

You can't say enough about the two games yesterday!

I was thinking, when was the last time a Nebraska team double dipped a Top 50 RPI team on the road? Its gotta be a long, long time!
    "I've never quit anything in my life" -- Bo Pelini

Husker Immortal
    Quote Originally Posted by Fromunda Cheese View Post
    You can't say enough about the two games yesterday!

I was thinking, when was the last time a Nebraska team double dipped a Top 50 RPI team on the road? Its gotta be a long, long time!
    In April of 2008, we swept a double header against Baylor in Waco to take a series. I suspect Baylor was at least a top 50 team that year.
    I really hate Penn State! (And I'm not that wild about Iowa either.)

Travel Squad

Ohio State Road Trip

My wife and I were very pleased to catch both games on Sunday after driving down to C-Bus during Saturday's storms.

Overall Impression: This team appears to have two things in common with those in the early Van Horn years: heart/tenacity and talent level. Mental lapses in base running and fielding put the game unnecessarily on the line a few times (especially Kiser's diving miss near the foul line with two on in 2nd Inning of Game Two). Game three made it obvious that the Husker staff is deeper than most B1G squads, but lacks the Friday night shutdown arm.

Disposition: Players played with a chip on their shoulder (especially Scheffert) on Sunday and Coach doesn't seem to be enjoying himself too much. This could have been a product of the Friday night whooping or simply a demeanor that is part of the rebuilding effort. Either way, I hope the players find time to enjoy themselves and the game a bit.

Ohio State: The complex was nice and staff were very friendly. Bill Davis Stadium is about 15 years old and has worn nicely, with one notably exception: the field. For some reason, Nick Swisher made a large gift to the University and they installed a field turf playing surface...everywhere. What made matters worse was that the base paths (and even home plate) were carpeted in a different color (think moist dirt). The mound/warning track are the only areas featuring real dirt. It felt like a game at the Buck, only not as "retro-cool". It was difficult to imagine how the batsmen were able to hit without being able to rework their footing or, presumably, rotate naturally on their plant foot. Needless to say, we were very grateful for Nebraska's decision to install a natural surface at Hawks Field.

B1G Baseball: There were several dozen "regulars" in attendance, cheering on their Buckeyes. That included B1G MBB Defensive POY Aaron Craft (who supposedly has 4-5 good friends on the team and is a model young man). The quality of baseball (aside from the dreadful HBP stat in Game Three) was not poor and the baseball complex was enough to convince me to get over my hang-ups with the B1G not caring about baseball. Let's just play to win and see how the other programs choose to respond. Only one thing made us wish we were still in the Big XII: no mercy rule in the getaway game. I hope the Big Ten officials will implement one of those when they rework their ridiculous scholarship rules.

Greatest Fans: Being at the game reminded me of why I miss attending games in Lincoln so much. With one notable exception (and several kind staff), nobody welcomed us as visiting fans to Columbus or Ohio State. They were not mean or aggressive either. It was, simply, a non-event that so many Huskers fans (half of those in attendance) had made the trip. I hope that the Big Red faithful will provide a more hospitable experience next summer. A message from the one exception, though, was that we has happy to have us in the Big Ten, looked forward to seeing our "palace" next summer, and would be on the hunt for a good steakhouse (not to worry, I spelled out M*I*S*T*Y for him).

It was great to catch a Husker baseball series in enemy territory. GBR and keep the faith.
    “If it is not right do not do it; if it is not true do not say it.” Marcus Aurelius

Husker Immortal
    Thanks for the report Mort. Very interesting.
    "According to a Gallup poll, President Obama's approval rating has dropped to 45 percent. Luckily for Obama, he has 'impeachment insurance.' It's called 'Joe Biden.'" –Jay Leno

Travel Squad
    Nick Swisher Field at Bill Davis Stadium

photo.jpg

OSU indoor FB complex, practice fields just beyond center.
    “If it is not right do not do it; if it is not true do not say it.” Marcus Aurelius

Husker Immortal
    Thanks, Husker Mort, for your incite. Please join us on the baseball threads, often. We enjoy your company..........and intellect.

Red Shirt
    Mort, they don't share this stadium, right?

Its the B1G tourney held in Columbus that is a AAA stadium?

Travel Squad
    Mort, they don't share this stadium, right?

Its the B1G tourney held in Columbus that is a AAA stadium?
    You are absolutely right, Cheese. The tourney will be in a far nicer Columbus venue: Huntington Park.

Club View150.jpg
    http://www.huntingtonparkcolumbus.com/Photos.html

Hopefully, some fans show up b/c in years past the empty stadium has done little to "raise the needle" on B1G baseball.

FYI: Columbus' contract to host the event expires this year. Hopefully, the B1G will give serious consideration to TD Ameritrade for a long-term hosting arrangement.

Red Shirt
    The tourney will be in a far nicer Columbus venue: Huntington Park.
    I remember watching it last year on BTN. Even when OSU played the stands were empty. Time to move it to Omaha!

Travel Squad
    I remember watching it last year on BTN. Even when OSU played the stands were empty. Time to move it to Omaha!

Junior Varsity
    Mort - I did enjoy your recap. I sat down last night and watched the replay on the Big10 Network. That was the first NU baseball game I've ever watched outside of the college World Series, and I really enjoyed it. Love the new network that gives us that luxury.

I think our team has a lot going for it in the conference, and our new coach seems to be doing the right things. GBR
    (old Gaelic saying) Chan eil h-uile facal sireadh freagairt. Not every question requires an answer.

Husker Immortal

They should have thought of that before this season. Don't they want to promote and make more money at the same time? Looks like politics, to me. Or, was it determined way before we became a glint in their eyes?

Red Shirt
    Bob, I think this is the last year of the contract to have the tourney in Columbus

Scout Team

It is the last year for the current contract in Columbus. AS it has been reported a few placed the Big 10 has looked at TDA in Omaha. Before that was public they had already looked at Werner Park in Sarpy Co where the Omaha Storm Chasers play.

I believe I read somwhere that the decsion would be made in May. I also recall that the preferance was for a four year deal, like the four years ending this year.

One potential conflict with TDA is the every other year agreement with the Mo Valley to host that tourny. Not sure how long that agreement is in place but it could impact their ability to host.

Travel Squad
    Quote Originally Posted by Nebugeater View Post
    It is the last year for the current contract in Columbus. AS it has been reported a few placed the Big 10 has looked at TDA in Omaha. Before that was public they had already looked at Werner Park in Sarpy Co where the Omaha Storm Chasers play.

I believe I read somwhere that the decsion would be made in May. I also recall that the preferance was for a four year deal, like the four years ending this year.

One potential conflict with TDA is the every other year agreement with the Mo Valley to host that tourny. Not sure how long that agreement is in place but it could impact their ability to host.
    Creighton's use of the field as their home site makes the MoValley tourney a non-neutral site championship? That seems strange. Also, it would stand to reason that Creighton has first dibbs in any scheduling arrangement, but I'm sure the TDA officials would rather have the B1G tourney as Husker fans would turn out in droves and television exposure (advertising) would be greater.

Red Shirt
    Creighton's use of the field as their home site makes the MoValley tourney a non-neutral site championship? That seems strange. Also, it would stand to reason that Creighton has first dibbs in any scheduling arrangement, but I'm sure the TDA officials would rather have the B1G tourney as Husker fans would turn out in droves and television exposure (advertising) would be greater.
    I don't think the Valley is concerned about neutral site championships. For years the tourney was held at the Eck, the Shockers home field, so not only was the best team in the Valley the host team, but they would pack in the crowds.

Now the MVC tourney rotates b/w Missouri St, WSU, and CU's home fields. After this year, Missouri States field drops off the contract (very poor attendance) and it will rotate b/w Omaha and Wichita.

MECA has stated it has allegiance to Creighton concerning the tourneys. And not to contend, but Creighton drew 10k+ for last years championship game on one days notice. The B1G is held over Memorial day weekend, so I don't know how many fans would actually turn out.

Travel Squad
    I don't think the Valley is concerned about neutral site championships. For years the tourney was held at the Eck, the Shockers home field, so not only was the best team in the Valley the host team, but they would pack in the crowds.

Now the MVC tourney rotates b/w Missouri St, WSU, and CU's home fields. After this year, Missouri States field drops off the contract (very poor attendance) and it will rotate b/w Omaha and Wichita.

MECA has stated it has allegiance to Creighton concerning the tourneys. And not to contend, but Creighton drew 10k+ for last years championship game on one days notice. The B1G is held over Memorial day weekend, so I don't know how many fans would actually turn out.
    Nebraska could sell out TDA with an appearance in the B1G Championship. If they are on different weekends, this is a non-issue I guess.

Red Shirt
    Nebraska could sell out TDA with an appearance in the B1G Championship
    Sell out? The Nebraska-Creighton game doesn't sell out, I think that'd be a stretch. Well attended? Of Course!

If the B1G does move to TD Ameritrade or Werner Park, the B1G would be wise to do two things:

First, make it an 8 team tournament. Currently, it is 6 teams. You ever see a 6 team bracket? You need a masters in statistics to figure out when you are playing next.

Second, do what the Big 12 did, and make it a two division, 4 team round robin pool play. This ensures that Nebraska fans (and any fan) knows exactly when their team is playing next. Best record in the three games moves to the championship game. This would maximize attendance for the Nebraska games.

Currently the MVC and B1G tourneys run completely concurrent:

MVC = May 22-26
    B1G = May 23-26

Travel Squad
    Sell out? The Nebraska-Creighton game doesn't sell out, I think that'd be a stretch. Well attended? Of Course!

If the B1G does move to TD Ameritrade or Werner Park, the B1G would be wise to do two things:

First, make it an 8 team tournament. Currently, it is 6 teams. You ever see a 6 team bracket? You need a masters in statistics to figure out when you are playing next.

Second, do what the Big 12 did, and make it a two division, 4 team round robin pool play. This ensures that Nebraska fans (and any fan) knows exactly when their team is playing next. Best record in the three games moves to the championship game. This would maximize attendance for the Nebraska games.

Currently the MVC and B1G tourneys run completely concurrent:

MVC = May 22-26
    B1G = May 23-26
    The CU/NU game is fun, but rarely has consequences. Folks would turn out IN DROVES for a conference championship game that guaranteed a post-season birth. A sell out may be a little optimistic, but 15k-18k easy.

I agree, wholeheartedly, on your tournament format take. Essentially, a regional and super-regional without the best of three proviso. Six teams is strange, but that may be all the B1G was not embarrassed to show the public.

As for playing second fiddle to the MoValley, it is a current reality, but one that is not economically wise on MECA's behalf. The B1G has far more upside--especially in down years for Creighton like this one (15-17, 191 RPI)--and could be willing to commit to a site long-term like they have in Indianapolis. I would look for them to aggressively recruit the B1G tournament.

Husker Immortal
    The CU-Nebraska series has lost a little of its luster lately. However, if NU appeared in the championship game of the Big 10 Tournament, I think it would easily be a sell out.
    I really hate Penn State! (And I'm not that wild about Iowa either.)