Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 48

Thread: Three Walk Ons

  1. #16
    Scout Team
    DuckTownHusker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Eugene, OR
    Posts
    4,415
    I seem to recall that either the '94 or '95 squad had something like 12 starters who were former walk-ons. Came in as freshman and by the time they were JR/SRs, Osborne had awarded them schollies.
    5 National Titles. 9 Undefeated Seasons. 50 Bowl Appearances. 43 Conference Championships. 10 Division Titles.

    3 Heisman Winners. 54 Consensus All-Americans. 28 Major Award Winners. 23 College Football Hall of Famers.

    There is No Place Like Nebraska.


  2. #17
    Starter
    HuskerRedDread's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Back & forth between Omaha & San Antonio
    Posts
    12,343
    Quote Originally Posted by Red_MN_Golfer View Post
    I believe Fonoti and Raiola were on ship to start (Both from HI and I doubt they paid their way. I think both played as Fr but not positive.
    Both played as freshman. Fonoti played in all 13 games his freshman year. I believe I read some where some time ago that Fonoti didn't come in on scholarship and something similar on Raiola, being that they came from so far. I'm trying to see if I can locate it or find out otherwise.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red_in_Blue_Land View Post
    Fear of spiders is aracnaphobia, fear of tight spaces is chlaustraphobia, fear of Ameer is Wisdom

  3. #18
    Starter
    HuskerRedDread's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Back & forth between Omaha & San Antonio
    Posts
    12,343
    Quote Originally Posted by DuckTownHusker View Post
    I seem to recall that either the '94 or '95 squad had something like 12 starters who were former walk-ons. Came in as freshman and by the time they were JR/SRs, Osborne had awarded them schollies.

    The 94-95 team had 14 walk on contribute that year with 1 (LB Jason Fisher) transfering and not counting Darin Erstad whom I believe was on a baseball scholarship before Punting for NU.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red_in_Blue_Land View Post
    Fear of spiders is aracnaphobia, fear of tight spaces is chlaustraphobia, fear of Ameer is Wisdom

  4. #19
    Starter
    wcbsas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    13,532
    Quote Originally Posted by HuskerRedDread View Post
    Both played as freshman. Fonoti played in all 13 games his freshman year. I believe I read some where some time ago that Fonoti didn't come in on scholarship and something similar on Raiola, being that they came from so far. I'm trying to see if I can locate it or find out otherwise.
    That is so wrong Fonoti and Raiola were scholarship players from day one.
    The life you lead is the life you teach!

  5. #20
    Guest

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Larryville, Kansas
    Posts
    1,342
    Quote Originally Posted by HuskerRedDread View Post
    Brian Blankenship G, Kelly Saalfeld C, Josh Sewell C, & Adam Treu C all played in the NFL for at least 5 seasons...


    And just to point out, not all great college players make it to the NFL (example: Tommie Frazier, Joe Ganz, Turner Gill).

    LeVerne Allers G, Dennis Carlson T, Aaron Taylor G, Chris Dishman T, Aaron Graham C, Toniu Fonoti G, Russ Hochstein G, Dominic Raiola C, Dean Steinkuhler G, Keith Worthman G, Doug Dumler C, Dick Rupert G, Carl Johnson T, Dave Volk T........all these guys received conference, honorable mentions, and/or national awards while wearing the scarlet and cream, and they all started as walk ons, and they all were linemen.....and there are many more........

    To discredit the walk-ons by saying that the reason they are getting looked at is because we didn't get some kids with stars next to their name is idiotic to say the least, given the tradition and history of our walk on program.

    Hell, Dean Steinkuhler has his name on the stadium as a walk on O lineman.
    I think only Saalfeld and Treu were walkons. Blankenship and Sewell were transfers from other programs, and the rest of the group were all scholarship recruits.

  6. #21
    Starter
    wcbsas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    13,532
    Quote Originally Posted by HuskerRedDread View Post
    Brian Blankenship G, Kelly Saalfeld C, Josh Sewell C, & Adam Treu C all played in the NFL for at least 5 seasons...


    And just to point out, not all great college players make it to the NFL (example: Tommie Frazier, Joe Ganz, Turner Gill).

    LeVerne Allers G, Dennis Carlson T, Aaron Taylor G, Chris Dishman T, Aaron Graham C, Toniu Fonoti G, Russ Hochstein G, Dominic Raiola C, Dean Steinkuhler G, Keith Worthman G, Doug Dumler C, Dick Rupert G, Carl Johnson T, Dave Volk T........all these guys received conference, honorable mentions, and/or national awards while wearing the scarlet and cream, and they all started as walk ons, and they all were linemen.....and there are many more........

    To discredit the walk-ons by saying that the reason they are getting looked at is because we didn't get some kids with stars next to their name is idiotic to say the least, given the tradition and history of our walk on program.

    Hell, Dean Steinkuhler has his name on the stadium as a walk on O lineman.
    How many of these guys played for NU in this century? Heck how many played in the '90s?

    I love the Doug Dumler reference - 1971/1972!

    No one is discrediting walk-ons, at least I'm not.

    BUT by my count we have 24 OLinemen on the current roster (not counting 5 true freshmen walkons).
    Of the 24, I believe 13 of those are scholarship linemen. So we're saying 3 of the 11 non-scholarship linemen have a potential to start AND are better than all but 2 of the 13 scholarship linemen?

    And that doesn't raise any potential concerns regarding talent evaluation/development/coaching?
    The life you lead is the life you teach!

  7. #22
    Recruit
    Drozz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Omaha
    Posts
    614
    Quote Originally Posted by ShortSideOption View Post
    But the walk-on program has taken us from maybe not winning a couple because of the injuries, lack of recruited talent, whatever it may be, and giving us a fighting chance. I'll take that all day...
    I agree with this. I think the walk-on program is great for building depth, and finding the occasional "hidden gem", but if we are relying on our walk-ons for 60% of our starting offensive line in this day in age of recruiting, then we missed big time in that recruiting...
    "There's three ways to do things, the right way, the wrong way and the way that I do it. " - Nicky Santoro

    "All things end badly, or else they wouldn't end. " - Brian Flanagan

  8. #23
    Varsity

    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    cibolo via valentine, ne
    Posts
    10,790
    i have NO problem with walkons starting. Just wish BC would give schollies to more deserving OL .

  9. #24
    All American
    Husker Country Doc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    26,870
    Quote Originally Posted by jikastew View Post
    It would say more about the lack of recruited scholarship talent, I would think.
    I think it says more to the small amount of difference between a scholarship player, and a walk-on, and the inexact art of recruiting.

    A walk-on can overcome many physical shortcomings through dedication and effort.
    [television commercial] Hi, I'm Ricky Bobby. If you don't cheer for Big Red, then f-*bleep* you.

  10. #25
    Recruit
    hrbhskr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Lincoln, NE
    Posts
    207
    And I agree with this as well. We have had great walk-ons that have gone on to great things. But to have so many of them playing such an important role in the same year shows some real issues with recruiting, plain and simple.

  11. #26
    All American
    Husker Country Doc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    26,870
    As much as everyone feels recruiting is a science, and that impact players can readily be identified as juniors or seniors in HS, that is simply not the case.

    Recruiting is an art. It's about contacts, and some luck.

    50% of scholarship recruits will never contribute. Walkons fill the holes left by those scholarship washouts.

    If recruiting is a science, go ahead and tell me now the 50% of last year's recruiting class that will be impactful on the program. The future is difficult to see, it is.
    [television commercial] Hi, I'm Ricky Bobby. If you don't cheer for Big Red, then f-*bleep* you.

  12. #27
    Starter
    wcbsas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    13,532
    Quote Originally Posted by Husker Country Doc View Post
    As much as everyone feels recruiting is a science, and that impact players can readily be identified as juniors or seniors in HS, that is simply not the case.

    Recruiting is an art. It's about contacts, and some luck.

    50% of scholarship recruits will never contribute. Walkons fill the holes left by those scholarship washouts.

    If recruiting is a science, go ahead and tell me now the 50% of last year's recruiting class that will be impactful on the program. The future is difficult to see, it is.
    This isn't the '70s or '80s where the recruiting services were often noted as much for being wrong as they were right. There is a lot more analysis, data and evaluations done to determine whether a kid is a deserving of a 5- or 4- or 3-star ranking. The washout rate of a 4-star athlete is less likely today than it was 10 or 20 years ago.

    Not counting kickers (different animal altogether) how long has it been since an NU walk-on or former walk-on has made first or seccond team all-conference. At any position?

    No one is decrying or down playing the importance of the walk-on program or down playing the accomplishment of those few athletes who perserve and accomplish a lot.

    What some of us are saying is that for a walk-on to earn a starting spot some things must have happened - poor recruiting, injuries ... for potentially three walk-ons to earn a starting spot on the offensive line indicates significant failure in some regard.
    The life you lead is the life you teach!

  13. #28
    Starter
    HuskerRedDread's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Back & forth between Omaha & San Antonio
    Posts
    12,343
    Quote Originally Posted by Husker Country Doc View Post
    As much as everyone feels recruiting is a science, and that impact players can readily be identified as juniors or seniors in HS, that is simply not the case.

    Recruiting is an art. It's about contacts, and some luck.

    50% of scholarship recruits will never contribute. Walkons fill the holes left by those scholarship washouts.

    If recruiting is a science, go ahead and tell me now the 50% of last year's recruiting class that will be impactful on the program. The future is difficult to see, it is.
    That's the best way I've seen it put. It's not a science, but an art.

    Of the 28 recruits that committed for the 2008 class, D.Grant, M.Kreikemeier, J.Levorson, S.Osbourne, K.Spano, B.Thompson, Q.Toaila, M.Wald, L.Ward, D.Whitmore, & J.Williams have all played little to no time on Saturdays for various reasons.

    09 had 21 in it's class, N.Ash, J.Coffey, J.T.Kerr, L.Middleton, & C.Williams (maybe we can throw in D.Robinson) have contribute little to no time on the field Saturday's.

    Each class will have it's examples to support your post.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red_in_Blue_Land View Post
    Fear of spiders is aracnaphobia, fear of tight spaces is chlaustraphobia, fear of Ameer is Wisdom

  14. #29
    Starter
    HuskerRedDread's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Back & forth between Omaha & San Antonio
    Posts
    12,343
    Quote Originally Posted by wcbsas View Post
    This isn't the '70s or '80s where the recruiting services were often noted as much for being wrong as they were right. There is a lot more analysis, data and evaluations done to determine whether a kid is a deserving of a 5- or 4- or 3-star ranking. The washout rate of a 4-star athlete is less likely today than it was 10 or 20 years ago.

    Not counting kickers (different animal altogether) how long has it been since an NU walk-on or former walk-on has made first or seccond team all-conference. At any position?

    No one is decrying or down playing the importance of the walk-on program or down playing the accomplishment of those few athletes who perserve and accomplish a lot.

    What some of us are saying is that for a walk-on to earn a starting spot some things must have happened - poor recruiting, injuries ... for potentially three walk-ons to earn a starting spot on the offensive line indicates significant failure in some regard.
    The same could be said about a true freshman starting over a 4th year Jr and sophomore like the QB at USC or maybe here at NU when a rFr. starts over a Soph. & 5th yr Sr with starting experience. And that QB had only played that position for 2 years prior to his start at a D-1 school.

    In other words to say it's a failure in some regard is discrediting what the one whom made the accomplishments. Maybe the QBs showed a different spark to the offense that wasn't shown in those whom were there before him. Maybe those walk ons were able to display a characteristic and/or work ethic that the scholarship players didn't display previously.

    At some point, players get out done by other players at their position whom are on the same team. I wouldn't chalk it up as a failure to the player nor the coach if the walk on just showed more of a willingness to get things done than the scholarship players on the team. We just happen to have more walk ons at this moment that are pushing that much more to be considered for playing time over some of the scholarship kids on the roster. That mentality is far from failure, IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red_in_Blue_Land View Post
    Fear of spiders is aracnaphobia, fear of tight spaces is chlaustraphobia, fear of Ameer is Wisdom

  15. #30
    Party like it's 1985!
    FeelLikeAStranger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Hardscratch Springs
    Posts
    28,306
    Quote Originally Posted by hrbhskr View Post
    And I agree with this as well. We have had great walk-ons that have gone on to great things. But to have so many of them playing such an important role in the same year shows some real issues with recruiting, plain and simple.
    No, it really doesn't.
    "Just because somebody's a talented guy or he's right for a lot of people
    doesn't mean he's right for us here at Nebraska." -Bo Pelini, 2/3/10








Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •