Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Three Walk Ons

Junior Varsity
    Quote Originally Posted by the fountainhead View Post
    I am on the side of being concerned when I read that so many of our OLine starters are walk ons...Walkons are great for the program and fill in roles on the scout team and occaisionally bust out and become starters and all americans...I just believe our coaches have missed the mark on finding players that make the most effective linemen.
    You hit the fountain on the head there, friend.

Walk-ons are not in the program by accident. Nebraska invites each and every one of them to join the team in the fall. But scholarship athletes are who you are putting your program's chips on. If you are gambling and losing that often there is a problem.
    "The purpose of argument, should not be victory, but progress." proverb

Recruit
    Quote Originally Posted by Pop Corn View Post
    You need to watch your mouth fRED!!! None of the bile drinkers want to hear about an actual walk-on from the NU program earning B1G honors! Anything positive about this coaching staff or the athletes recruited by them is off limits here. We need to gnash our teeth and keep the hemlock handy so we can all parish when this team tanks.

Long making the charts MUST be a mistake ------ he can't be that good ----------bilsker and GFOA have spoken!!! Anybody that thinks differently than them are excuse making, romantisizing, kool-aid drinkers that don't know diddly-squat about football!

Thats cute right there! Looks like you and fRed have been spending some quality time together in fReds lala land....
    "There's three ways to do things, the right way, the wrong way and the way that I do it. " - Nicky Santoro

"All things end badly, or else they wouldn't end. " - Brian Flanagan

Starter

Quote Originally Posted by Pop Corn View Post
    You need to watch your mouth fRED!!! None of the bile drinkers want to hear about an actual walk-on from the NU program earning B1G honors! Anything positive about this coaching staff or the athletes recruited by them is off limits here. We need to gnash our teeth and keep the hemlock handy so we can all parish when this team tanks.

Long making the charts MUST be a mistake ------ he can't be that good ----------bilsker and GFOA have spoken!!! Anybody that thinks differently than them are excuse making, romantisizing, kool-aid drinkers that don't know diddly-squat about football!

Hmmmm, I've not said anything but positive things about the walk-on program. I'm so proud of it's history, I don't feel compelled to lie about it's graduates or their accomplishments. Oh, but I forgot, your agenda is not to speak the truth, you're agenda is to shut up anyone that doesn't agree with you on Bo's performance, right? You guys make for great comedy.

Old Timer

Quote Originally Posted by Greatest Fan of All View Post
    Hmmmm, I've not said anything but positive things about the walk-on program. I'm so proud of it's history, I don't feel compelled to lie about it's graduates or their accomplishments. Oh, but I forgot, your agenda is not to speak the truth, you're agenda is to shut up anyone that doesn't agree with you on Bo's performance, right? You guys make for great comedy.
    Diligently try to understand this.

Neither your nor my opinion is the TRUTH!

Please try to get over yourself, okay? I wouln't dream of "shutting YOU up". You are far to entertaining because no one could make up the drivel you chose to post on here. You seriously believe that your misbegotten opinions are the TRUTH. What a hoot!

Also, if you cannot recognize serious sarcasm when you read it, you should really put me on "ignore"!

Old Timer

Quote Originally Posted by Drozz View Post
    Thats cute right there! Looks like you and fRed have been spending some quality time together in fReds lala land....
    Thank you. Thank you very much. I can see you are a man of good tastes. I need to return the compliment. I think your post is "cute" also!

I suppose I should add this just in case you don't understand the intent of my post any better than GFOA.

All American
    Quote Originally Posted by bilsker View Post
    The real answer will come during the season.

The fact is if you have 3 walk-ons starting on a 5 man line something hasn't worked out...be it recruiting (lack of numbers or guys just not panning out), injuries, whatever. We can romanticize the walk-on program all we want but when 60% of your OL is walk-on something fell apart somewhere.
    A former NU HC would have doggedly kept underqualified scholarship players starting over harder working/better players, simply by virtue of the fact they had been highly regarded out of HS, and were "scholarship" players.

Most athletes in Nebraska outside of the Lincoln/Omaha metro will not have the chance to play in front of recruiting gurus. They therefore will not receive the hype that athletes in metro areas receive. An athlete cannot help where his parents choose to live. He just goes out and plays ball.

Many athletes in the United States do not live in metro areas, and therefore are "under the radar." There is no way to objectively measure the potential of a high school junior or senior.
    Go Big Red!

Starter

Just found an interesting website with more accurate (I assume) detail about the walk on's than what you've been reading here.

http://www.thisisnebraska.com/fb_walkons.php?sport=fb

While some may think this is a failure of the recruiting system, I find this very familiar and comforting. This is all about the old formula of success of an over achieving school from the upper Midwest. Osborne over the years chased out all the bugs out of the system. Import speed and hang on firmly to the home-bred beef with great work ethics. The work ethics then rubs off on the imports and the cohesiveness of it all binds the team. That old recipe for success that was tried and true.

Back in those days many of the press and the recruiting services looked down on the recruiting classes for the most part. Many articles were written and many of the self anointed gurus said that NU was overrated. I remember those days. Osborne went about his work without regard to their snipes. He also had the most successful program of his time.

This is the way it used to be and I say let those who don't understand the old formula put the system down. They never bothered the success before and I would hope they won't deter success as Osborne teaches Bo where all the bodies are buried. We needed new blood in the old system. We did not need to throw out the baby with the bath water however. It's the process that worked for decades and we have a lost generation that really never understood how it worked. As for the coaches and AD's of the past decade they never really understood the impact. Kids in Nebraska received footballs in their cribs at an early age. Some others outside the state got surfboards. Some got basketballs. Some skies. The kids around these parts were raised to play football and it's about time we not let them get away.

This is the very reason the good Doctor returned. To recapture what was lost and teach it to another staff and the lost generation. Callahan never understood the talent he had right under his nose. Bo is beginning to understand thanks to the Doc. Coach Brown, Cotton and the others who have returned to the family. Now we can get the walkon program to maximum performance. The red shirting and the development of youth. Getting closer to seeing those fifth year seniors with leadership qualities up front. For myself I find it very comforting knowing not all was lost in the many transitions of the last decade.