Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Back Up QB

Red Shirt

Back Up QB

It's too bad the Spring game was cancelled I would have liked to see the progress of the Huskers potential back up QB's. In four of the five National Championship years the back-up played an important role and they were proven leaders. In 1970 and 71 Van Brownson proved to be more than capable and everyone knows the important role Brook Berringer played.
    I'm sure Carnes is the leading contender however given the receivers the Huskers have I wouldn't count out Marsh or Brokemeier ( I'd love to see what this kid could do with some speedy receivers) and hope they'e given a good look.
    "My job as a football coach is to educate and prepare the kids who come into this program for the rest of their life..." Bo Pelini at the Penn State post game press conference Nov. 12 2011

Scout Team
    +1

no spring game means two things....we really didn't get to see how much the backup has progressed, we also can't imagine how great he is after the "dog and pony show" that is the spring game. I just hope that whoever the backup is gets some game reps, because I can't see how a guy can grow if he does not play, nor do I like having TM in the whole game for fear he will get clobbered, then forcing coach to insert said inexperienced player. Que Sera Sera!

Blackshirt
    But not seeing any of the backups sure makes for interesting off season discussions and speculation.

Now, how many days until practice begins this fall?
    It's a great day to be a Husker Fan!
    Live By The Code!
    (28-13-3) GATA If you see a skunk in the middle of the road, do you run it over or let it live? That is a quandary?

All Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by HZKRFAN View Post
    +1

no spring game means two things....we really didn't get to see how much the backup has progressed, we also can't imagine how great he is after the "dog and pony show" that is the spring game. I just hope that whoever the backup is gets some game reps, because I can't see how a guy can grow if he does not play, nor do I like having TM in the whole game for fear he will get clobbered, then forcing coach to insert said inexperienced player. Que Sera Sera!
    The same might have been said last year, but of course there was little work for Brion. Since he has supposedly progressed from last year, perhaps Bo might be more comfortable putting him in (or someone else).

But on the other hand, Martinez, who supposedly has progressed too, will certainly need all the game work he can get to truly make his footwork and passing mechanics habitual. So I expect him to stay in games late just like last year, at least at the beginning. The problem is, once league play starts, will we be far enough ahead of many teams to play a backup? Unless we are a much better team than last year, I doubt it.

My forecast: little "developmental" play for a backup next year, just like last year.
    "It doesn't matter where you start or how people perceive you now or what your potential is. ... It's going to be how this football team comes together and meets the challenges ... I like our potential, but there's a lot of teams that like their potential. It's going to be how we put things together, how we grow and how we come together as a team. It's not going to be the best collection of talent, it's going to be the best team. ...." - Bo Pelini, Big 10 Media Days, 2014

Red Shirt

I'm not a big fan of putting all your eggs in one basket. If something goes wrong, we're basically flushing the remainder of the season down the toilet. It's strange to me how we strive to develop depth at every position, yet somehow for the most important position it's considered irrelevant.

Husker Fan

Probably Carnes' only chance for "game" action unless TM gets hurt. Too bad for him.

Red Shirt
    Same arguments as last year. Same problem unrectified.

Hope Bo changes his strategy on this, and allows some meaningful playing time for the 2nd & 3rd team.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Gunga galunga. Gunga....
    Quote Originally Posted by bilsker View Post
    Probably Carnes' only chance for "game" action unless TM gets hurt. Too bad for him.
    Well, to my surprise, most everyone I've talked to thought Marsh was the 2nd best QB on the team. That was surprising to me since I thought he was a reach for NU. Apparently, the guy is ultra competitive and otherwise a winner.
    Nebraska fans, this is called someone in your conference having your back…welcome to the Big Ten. - HawkeyeNation

Carnes was clearly better in the lockerroom and the pregame meal and should be the starter. We didnt need a stinking spring game to tell us that!

Carnes will be the clear #2, along with more playing time.

Blackshirt
    Quote Originally Posted by 215Husker View Post
    Carnes will be the clear #2, along with more playing time.
    Just curious, how do you KNOW this? It seems logical, and yet...we are coached by Bo.

Quote Originally Posted by jikastew View Post
    Well, to my surprise, most everyone I've talked to thought Marsh was the 2nd best QB on the team. That was surprising to me since I thought he was a reach for NU. Apparently, the guy is ultra competitive and otherwise a winner.
    You might want to talk to someone whom actually went to the practices......Everything in Lincoln says Martinez is the starter with Carnes as the back-up with a big drop afterwards.

All American
    Quote Originally Posted by HZKRFAN View Post
    +1

Completely agree. Do not understand why Bo will not rest TM more when game is out of hand. Perhaps it is a lesson that BP has to learn "the hard way."

Not wishing an injury on TM, but that the QB position would be held to the same standard as every other position on the team. If TM is not mentally tough enough to handle a little position battle, he can't handle making a clutch play with the game on the line...
    [television commercial] Hi, I'm Ricky Bobby. If you don't cheer for Big Red, then f-*bleep* you.

It has been the pattern lately to ride the starter to the end. I'm taking the past with a grain of salt however. The offense has changed year to year and sometimes within the season itself. Coordinators and coaches have also changed year to year, so I don't think it's set in concrete that the starter will always be that guy to the final whistle this year. After all we actually have a familiar offense this time. The many little things that had to be overlooked should get addressed by all involved. Backups with familiarity with the playbook and in reading defenses should allow for more confidence from Beck and Bo as to giving others their shot.

In the days that continuity prevailed the separation on the scoreboard was larger, giving others ops to work on their game. That hasn't been the case as of late. Just maybe with a more mature offensive unit, that separation may increase with certain opponents from here on. At least one hopes that is the case. Nebraska has indeed more offensive weapons than it has had in a while. Experience up front. More talent and experience at the skilled positions. No gaps to fill in the assembly lines. All seeing and playing faster.

Carnes, Kellogg and Marsh with familiarity with the offense lets them work on the finer points of Beck's offense for the first time. The coaches as well with a better grasp of what they are teaching. Still this is a tough league and separation on the scoreboard is key to seeing the second and third choices get game experience other than in emergencies. I haven't seen those 56 to 7 scores in a while, allowing those teaching moments on Saturdays. Just maybe we see a couple this year though the schedule isn't easy.

All American
    One way to build depth is wholesale 2 and 3rd team substitutions.

Another way is to get individual backups in the game, mixed in with the first teamers, for a few series each game.

IMO, all underclass 2nd and 3rd and 4th teamers need to get into 4-5 games per year to build depth for the future.
    [television commercial] Hi, I'm Ricky Bobby. If you don't cheer for Big Red, then f-*bleep* you.