Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.

Thread: Thoughts on a One-n-Done?

Scout Team

Thoughts on a One-n-Done?

Not that we will necessarily have to face the dilemma of a stud recruit only playing one season at NU before going pro, but what is everyone's thoughts on that possibility? Would the fan base accept that type of recruiting?

Junior Varsity
    Would not like to see it happen, but if that is what it takes to get the team winning, then I am all in favor of it.
    Stay true to your roots.

Red Shirt
    HATE IT !!!!!!!!!....A coach spends how many hours, trips, and other avenues to get a kid to come to your school and after one year he leaves....It should be at least 2, if not 3, years before you can leave college...

Husker Fan

If you have a team of them like Kentucky...and can reload every year like Kentucky then sure, why not?

At most places I wonder if too much emphasis would be put on that one guy...and if the coach would try to force things knowing he's only got the guy for one year.

If the coach clearly states his expectations and the kid buys in go for it. But ultimately I don't think those guys do a program like Nebraska a whole lot of good.

Scout Team

If they play a year and help us win AND they do not have any violations with the Univ and the NCAA I say bring them on. The Huskers first hurdal is to win. Doing that will help in a lot of ways including recruiting. Bring them on as long as they dont have baggage that will have a long term detriment.

I like good players.

We should take all the ones and done we can.

a lot of our players have been one and done lately.....just not the way we would like them to be

Junior Varsity

You have to recruit both....the one and done's and guys that may stick around for four years. Also, keep in mind that Harrison Barnes was supposed to be a one and done, and even though he didn't "pan out" like that, I think every Husker fan would have taken him in a heart beat on our team.

If you don't recruit the top level talent I think you are already doing yourself a dis-service. The fact that we may only get one of these guys anyway would make me think that it would be more of an exception than a rule anyways...

All Legend
    I plan on viewing this as a grave problem just as soon as it starts happening to us.
    "It just shows that we're changing the program," Petteway said. "Coach Miles and the guys we have on our staff and our players, we're changing the culture of Nebraska basketball, and this is just the beginning for us." - HuskerOnline.com 2-16-2014

Starter
    There are 60 players drafted each year by the NBA

In 2010 there were 80 early entrants from US colleges to the NBA draft
    In 2011 there were 45 early entrants from US colleges to the NBA draft. (35 were actually drafted)
    In 2012 there are 35 (so far) early entrants declared. There are another 15 or so yet undeclared.
    The life you lead is the life you teach!

Osborne hates it.

Quote Originally Posted by wcbsas View Post
    There are 60 players drafted each year by the NBA

In 2010 there were 80 early entrants from US colleges to the NBA draft
    In 2011 there were 45 early entrants from US colleges to the NBA draft. (35 were actually drafted)
    In 2012 there are 35 (so far) early entrants declared. There are another 15 or so yet undeclared.
    So what you're saying is that fewer kids are leaving college early. Looking at these figures, it shows the one-and-done rule may actually keep some kids in college longer, because they may find out they don't have what it takes to get drafted in the NBA.

Husker Immortal
    Quote Originally Posted by bilsker View Post
    If you have a team of them like Kentucky...and can reload every year like Kentucky then sure, why not?
    You are correct. NU cannot afford one-and-done recruits. NU will not attract enough quality recruits to maintain any consistency if the best ones are gone after one year.
    I really hate Penn State! (And I'm not that wild about Iowa either.)