Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Went storm chasing on 4-14-2012

Scout Team

Went storm chasing on 4-14-2012

Thought i would share some pictures and video of my chase today. Saw 3 tornadoes ( one about 6 miles west of Marquette, KS), (one north of Hesston, KS *moundridge tornado*, (and one about 6 miles north of Lindsborg, ks) I have pictures of the first two, but the last one it was too dark and my camera battery was low, My mom with with me all day.

Here is a link to the video

Here are some photo's of the same tornado in the video above
    (click to view slide show as only 2 youtube videos can be posted...

and here are a few pics from the moundridge/hesston tornado

ENJOY (ESPECIALLY HWM )

Travel Squad

Nice vids/pics!

Whoa! Nice shootin', Tex!

Scout Team
    Some of my photos have been published by the national weather service in Wichita, KS. You can see them at

http://www.crh.noaa....ril14th_ricetor

and http://www.crh.noaa....ril14th_rnhvtor

Scout Team
    updated the videos link to all my videos combined with the sound removed...

Scout Team
    -if you look at the 1min 56second mark, you see an area of white go inside the tornado (just above the center and to the right). This is a flock of birds.

How far were you from the funnel in that first vid? I don't know the area for landmark judgment or anything, but it looks like you were within a mile or two...

Red Shirt
    Cool video. I believe that first tornado was rated EF4. I was talking with the person that helped rate that tornado and it scoured a dirt road to a depth of about 6 to 8 inches or so. Pretty impressive. Glad this was mostly in open country although I believe it obliterated at least one home in its path.
    The trouble with weather forecasting is that it's right too often for us to ignore it and wrong too often for us to rely on it. ~Patrick Young

towel boy
    Did you cross paths with the Dominator or the Tiv?

Scout Team
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedIggy View Post
    Did you cross paths with the Dominator or the Tiv?
    I dont recall seeing either of them

Dejected Fan
    awesome video. some people chase an entire season or two and dont get a EF4 that close and personal. Nice job.
    That's not what he said you ignorant wretch. Your Spanish is worse than your English! - Johnny Ringo.

pray for me ;)
    Quote Originally Posted by redarmy View Post
    awesome video. some people chase an entire season or two and dont get a EF4 that close and personal. Nice job.
    I would love to go sometime...as long as I am with someone who knows what they are doing that is.
    Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.Bill Watterson, cartoonist, "Calvin and Hobbes"

Dejected Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by ColoREDo View Post
    I would love to go sometime...as long as I am with someone who knows what they are doing that is.
    I lived in Tulsa Ok for about 5 years. During my time there, my neighbor was a storm chaser, he had a pretty nice scrap book of storms he had pics of while chasing. One day, the sirens started going and I went outside to take a look, he begged me to jump in the car and head north with him. I thought about it for a couple of secs and then turned chicken. That storm passed right over us with visible strong rotation and ended up dropping one further northeast.

I enjoy watching via video and pics but I am not sold on getting up close and personal. I guess if I really trusted someone who was an expert, I would consider taking a trip.
    That's not what he said you ignorant wretch. Your Spanish is worse than your English! - Johnny Ringo.

Husker Fan

+1.

maybe a HM chaser group outing is in the works???

Scout Team
    and thats why my mom went with me all day note to self: get a better camera