Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zappa Jamming

Thumbs up Zappa Jamming

Zappa is one of the great guitar players to have graced our planet and an even greater musician and person....

Notre Dame only had one Rudy but Nebraska gets a new crop of Rudys every season

Blackshirt
    Frank was a great,great guitar player if ever there was one. But he had so much more. People would say how he wasted his talent with the mothers & other entities. I do not believe that at all. That was just his style. Look-up some more on Frank & see what he actually brought to the table, and the stars he discovered. Stevie Vai comes to mind, Drummer Terry Bazzio, & so many more.
    And as a composer he was highly sought after.

Hey Red, On that 1st video if you look on top of his Amp Rig, there is either Baby powder, or Corn Starch. Atleast I had 1 thing in common with him. Never No never use finger ease ( or otherwise known as finger sleaze! )

Corn Starch is good stuff...I never used that until I met my wife who used it....

And yeah Zappa was a musical genuis....and his style of playing was and is very unusual....

Quote Originally Posted by RussianRed View Post
    Frank was a great,great guitar player if ever there was one. But he had so much more. People would say how he wasted his talent with the mothers & other entities. I do not believe that at all. That was just his style. Look-up some more on Frank & see what he actually brought to the table, and the stars he discovered. Stevie Vai comes to mind, Drummer Terry Bazzio, & so many more.
    And as a composer he was highly sought after.

Hey Red, On that 1st video if you look on top of his Amp Rig, there is either Baby powder, or Corn Starch. Atleast I had 1 thing in common with him. Never No never use finger ease ( or otherwise known as finger sleaze! )

Blackshirt
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Reign View Post
    Corn Starch is good stuff...I never used that until I met my wife who used it....

And yeah Zappa was a musical genuis....and his style of playing was and is very unusual....
    Just make sure it doesn't build up too much. Took me awhile to learn that.

Frank on the vocals on this one and of course gutiar..

Oh I know....I use it dry and mixed....great on dry skin too...

Quote Originally Posted by RussianRed View Post
    Just make sure it doesn't build up too much. Took me awhile to learn that.

Solo on this is awesome...

Jon Luc Ponty on the violin....

Wow..Red Reign bringing up some classic blues rock oldies from back in the day! Only on the Max!!

I never was much of a "M of I" fan back then, but I did love it when Zappa teamed up with other artists and jammed in the 70s and beyond. I always thought his talent (like Jimmy Page and others) was a master of the guitar, and composing... As for vocals and such, I think that was his downfall. He sang from his heart, and he loved the old raspy blues artists from the generation before him. But that screaming because he had no natural volume in his voice... well, I wish he sang as much as Page did!!!

But, definitely one of the top creative and alternative musicians of the century. Thanks for sharing all these!

Zappa didn't sing much....had other singers as you are probably aware doing most the vocals....but when he did it always seemed to fit....so I would have to disagree that it was his downfall....

Zappa's work with the Mother's was early and though a big part of his legacy was only a porition of what he produced in his lifetime.....

As for blues...I never thought of Zappa as a blues player or singer...very much a gorund breaker and visonary.....

Quote Originally Posted by O'Husker View Post
    Wow..Red Reign bringing up some classic blues rock oldies from back in the day! Only on the Max!!

I never was much of a "M of I" fan back then, but I did love it when Zappa teamed up with other artists and jammed in the 70s and beyond. I always thought his talent (like Jimmy Page and others) was a master of the guitar, and composing... As for vocals and such, I think that was his downfall. He sang from his heart, and he loved the old raspy blues artists from the generation before him. But that screaming because he had no natural volume in his voice... well, I wish he sang as much as Page did!!!

But, definitely one of the top creative and alternative musicians of the century. Thanks for sharing all these!

I know! Then RR brings up Jean Luc Ponty. Maybe he has some taste after all...

Jerry Goodman is better than Jon Luc Ponty....

Quote Originally Posted by Big Red Rick View Post
    I know! Then RR brings up Jean Luc Ponty. Maybe he has some taste after all...