Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: this could have been handled better

Red Shirt
    Quote Originally Posted by bilsker View Post
    I'm still waiting for someone to point out where ANYONE is saying the game should have been played as scheduled.
    No one that I have seen. I guess we need to get over it.
    Nebraska Football
    I don't know any other way to live...

I'm still waiting for someone to point out where ANYONE is saying the game should have been played as scheduled.
    Barnum started this thread saying they should have played the game at Hawks with just the players, coaches, and select media...on SATURDAY!

Red Shirt
    Spring practice rules -

Fifteen postseason practice sessions [including intrasquad scrimmages and the spring game permitted in Bylaw 17.9.5.2-(a)] are permissible. An institution is not required to count as one of its 15 designated days any day during which countable athletically related activities are limited solely to required conditioning activities and/or review of game film. Practice sessions must meet the following conditions:
    (a) All practice sessions are conducted within a period of 34 consecutive calendar days, omitting vacation and examination days officially announced on the institution's calendar and days during which the institution is closed due to inclement weather.
    (b) Any such practice sessions held during vacation days may not be of longer duration than those normally held when academic classes are in session.
    (c) Only 12 of the practice sessions may involve contact, and such contact shall not occur prior to the third practice session.
    (d) The noncontact practice sessions may involve headgear as the only piece of protective equipment.
    (e) Of the 12 permissible contact sessions, eight sessions may involve tackling, and no more than three of the eight tackling sessions may be devoted primarily (greater than 50 percent of practice time) to 11-on-11 scrimmages.
    (f ) Tackling shall be prohibited in four of the 12 contact sessions. An institution has the discretion to determine the practice activities (other than tackling) that may occur during the four contact nontackling sessions as well as the protective equipment to be worn by the student-athletes.
    (g) If an institution conducts a "spring game" per Bylaw 17.9.5.2-(a), the game shall be counted as one of the three sessions that may be devoted primarily to 11-on-11 scrimmages.
    (h) The amount of time that a student-athlete may be involved in such postseason countable athletically related activities shall be limited to a maximum of four hours per day and 20 hours per week.
    "Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we." —Washington, D.C., Aug. 5, 2004

Husker Fan

Quote Originally Posted by O'Husker View Post
    Barnum started this thread saying they should have played the game at Hawks with just the players, coaches, and select media...on SATURDAY!
    That's not as scheduled. And he's the only one that proposed that particular format.

Travel Squad

My family spent $60 on the tickets. JUST before the concessions were free, we spent at least another $20 on pizza, etc. The drive to Lincoln and back was dicey, considering there was a 2 year old and a 6 month old along.

Sometimes that's the way things go. We're glad we have the ability to spend the money on something we love like Husker football. No refunds expected. Glad to help.

GO BIG RED!

Scout Team
    I am at the stadium...

waiting .....

I have my tickets........doesn't look to be anyone here.

Going to start knocking on doors soon..........

Big Red Fan!!!

I didn't hear the announcement about the free concessions or players signing autographs. When people started leaving, I walked to see what was on the jumbo tron and I saw the ticker stating that no game was going to be played. So we just left. I would have definitely went to see the players if I would have known. Bummer.
    At least I was able to meet quite a few past Huskers in the Bookstore before the game. There were between 10-20 of them there and it was nice to talk to them and get some autographs. The 10hr trip wasn't totally for nothing.

Big Red Fan!!!

Quote Originally Posted by HZKRFAN View Post
    I am at the stadium...

waiting .....

It's Sunday, you shouldn't start knocking until at least Monday morning at 9am.

Starter

Quote Originally Posted by AzHusker View Post
    Haha. Mornin' GFOA! I see you got your stick sharpened and are back to your favorite hobby of poking people with it.

So now those that respect the opinions of Bo and TO are "lapdogs?" Go figure.
    Sorry to disappoint you, but I respect their opinion's and that was what I was agreeing on...that their opinions "have merit," but it's a takes a whole different kind of person to worship their every word, to consider them infallible, like many here do--these types IMO are lapdogs and ignorant.

Starter

Quote Originally Posted by GoBigfRed View Post
    GFOA's Mommy doesn't let him play with sharp sticks. In fact, I'd be surprised if you ever find anything particularly sharp in any of his postings.

But, it sure looks like he's got his crying towel out this morning. He couldn't bash our program for anything on the field, so now he's whining that it's Bo's fault that we had horrible weather.
    LOL. Really? This is what you've come to? Sad.

Scout Team
    Quote Originally Posted by Greatest Fan of All View Post
    Sorry to disappoint you, but I respect their opinion's and that was what I was agreeing on...that their opinions "have merit," but it's a takes a whole different kind of person to worship their every word, to consider them infallible, like many here do--these types IMO are lapdogs and ignorant.
    Sorry GFOA but that's quite an assertion. I can respect the value of hyperbole but don't you think this is a little strong?

I think Osbornes judgement has been good in the past and I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. Does that mean I worship him?

I don't know but I try not to second guess a situation that I don't have first hand knowledge of.

Peace
    Mayans: Sorry about 2012! Better luck next time!

Starter

Quote Originally Posted by husker6 View Post
    Sorry GFOA but that's quite an assertion. I can respect the value of hyperbole but don't you think this is a little strong?

I think Osbornes judgement has been good in the past and I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. Does that mean I worship him?

I don't know but I try not to second guess a situation that I don't have first hand knowledge of.

Peace
    No, I don't think it is too strong for some on this board. Certainly not all, but there is a sizable and vocal group. I won't name names, but they know who they are. These folks strive to silence other's opinions and any dissent at all--often using unethical/questionable tactics. They put spin on every problem or issue in the program. In their opinion, these two can do no wrong. Well, both deserve respect (TO significantly more than Bo) but neither are perfect, and people on this board would be wise to wake up to that.

Recruit

The right call was made. Bo had the players make the call and that showed me he wants the players to own the program and the team. It was the correct thing to do. If he let a few folks into the Hawks Center how would you pick the fans or media that got to go into the center to see the game? If you let 1K fans in then you have 59K crying they didn't get in

Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by HZKRFAN View Post
    I am at the stadium...

waiting .....

Haha -- maybe try the back door?

Parking lots should be good and clean after Mother Nature's scrubbing yesterday, eh?
    "Even hayseeds like ourselves get to put our 2 cents in now. Truthfully most of us could not coach ourselves out of a paper basket."
    ---Russian Red

I don't think the accusation of whining is warranted I am simply suggesting that the inclimate weather presented the admin with a set of options and i don't think they chose the best one. do i think it was a "bad" decision? no, cancelling was most certainly on the 'good' side of the ledger, nobody wanted anybody outside in the rain and lightning. so far as i can tell, the opposition to this position is based on one or both of the following premises

1) it should not be assumed that buildings (in this case a relatively new one) will remain erect (truly frightening)
    2) the dire and apocalyptic predictions of weathermen should be accepted prima facia (debilitating)

It was a surprise for me to encounter people who hold one or both of these to be good guidelines for living life in the volume that i have, in this thread - - perhaps i was raised poorly

as to premise # 2 i offer this article from my region of the country that came out in the fall of 2011

http://www.accuweather.com/en/weathe...20112012/55890

The AccuWeather.com Long-Range Forecasting Team is predicting another brutally cold and snowy winter for a large part of the country, thanks in large part to La Niña... yet again.
    ands down, AccuWeather.com's long-range experts agree that the Midwest and Great Lakes region will be dealt the worst of winter this year.Bitterly cold blasts of arctic air are expected to invade the northern Plains, Midwest and Great Lakes from December through January, while snowfall averages above normal. "A couple of heavy hitters are possible [during this time]," Pastelok said in relation to the snow.
    In terms of both snow and cold, this winter is expected to be the worst in Chicago.

Starter

Quote Originally Posted by 68hskr View Post
    I am amazed at the insolence of some fans. Everyone acts like the are owed something, This was life threatening weather. The Administration did what they HAD to do.

If you don't think so, ask the people who were in the Crescent Iowa hospital that got hit by a tornado.

Be safe and live.
    Well, they did pay to see a spring game...they are owed THAT. Game should have been re-scheduled or tickets fully refunded. I suggest they quit charging for it in the future...then they can cancel it with a clear conscience.

Scout Team
    Quote Originally Posted by Greatest Fan of All View Post
    No, I don't think it is too strong for some on this board. Certainly not all, but there is a sizable and vocal group. I won't name names, but they know who they are. These folks strive to silence other's opinions and any dissent at all--often using unethical/questionable tactics. They put spin on every problem or issue in the program. In their opinion, these two can do no wrong. Well, both deserve respect (TO significantly more than Bo) but neither are perfect, and people on this board would be wise to wake up to that.
    OK I can respect your opinion but I still disagree. Just by anecdotal evidence, yes I see many agreeing with Pelini and Osborne. By that same evidence I only see a couple that I would say even come close to what you are describing. I also see a couple on the other end of the spectrum.

I wouldn't describe either as being sizable but they are both VERY vocal.
    Mayans: Sorry about 2012! Better luck next time!

I think you should be in the weather prediction business!

I don't think anyone is saying the game should have been played. Well...maybe Barnum is...

But there's a reason the weather channel sent Jim Cantore to Omaha/Lincoln (obviously that was planned yesterday)...everyone knew this was going to happen a day ago.

Husker Fan

Quote Originally Posted by the fountainhead View Post
    I think you should be in the weather prediction business!
    No need. I simply watched the weather forecast on FRIDAY and me and the rest of the country were told it was a lock that the OK, Kansas, Nebraska, Iowa areas were going to blow up Saturday. It was one of the least surprising weather events ever.