Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: this could have been handled better

Blackshirt
    Quote Originally Posted by 68hskr View Post
    I am amazed at the insolence of some fans. Everyone acts like the are owed something, This was life threatening weather. The Administration did what they HAD to do.

If you don't think so, ask the people who were in the Crescent Iowa hospital that got hit by a tornado.

Be safe and live.
    Well, they did pay to see a spring game...they are owed THAT. Game should have been re-scheduled or tickets fully refunded. I suggest they quit charging for it in the future...then they can cancel it with a clear conscience.

Scout Team
    Quote Originally Posted by Greatest Fan of All View Post
    No, I don't think it is too strong for some on this board. Certainly not all, but there is a sizable and vocal group. I won't name names, but they know who they are. These folks strive to silence other's opinions and any dissent at all--often using unethical/questionable tactics. They put spin on every problem or issue in the program. In their opinion, these two can do no wrong. Well, both deserve respect (TO significantly more than Bo) but neither are perfect, and people on this board would be wise to wake up to that.
    OK I can respect your opinion but I still disagree. Just by anecdotal evidence, yes I see many agreeing with Pelini and Osborne. By that same evidence I only see a couple that I would say even come close to what you are describing. I also see a couple on the other end of the spectrum.

I wouldn't describe either as being sizable but they are both VERY vocal.
    There is no place like Nebraska,
    Where they're all true blue.
    We'll all stick together,
    In all kinds of weather,
    For dear old Nebraska U

Husker Fan

Recruit

I think you should be in the weather prediction business!

Quote Originally Posted by bilsker View Post
    I don't think anyone is saying the game should have been played. Well...maybe Barnum is...

But there's a reason the weather channel sent Jim Cantore to Omaha/Lincoln (obviously that was planned yesterday)...everyone knew this was going to happen a day ago.
    Just Sayin'

Husker Fan

Quote Originally Posted by the fountainhead View Post
    I think you should be in the weather prediction business!
    No need. I simply watched the weather forecast on FRIDAY and me and the rest of the country were told it was a lock that the OK, Kansas, Nebraska, Iowa areas were going to blow up Saturday. It was one of the least surprising weather events ever.

Recruit

bilsker, no one is going to cancel an outdoor spring event in Nebraska the day before, you know it and I know it. The weather pattern could have changed to light rain, the storm path or timing could have changed, etc.

Im sure they made every effort possible to get the game in with recruits, family, and fans coming to Lincoln for the day.

There is simply no "correct answer" other than cancel it as soon as possible...which I assume they did.

No need. I simply watched the weather forecast on FRIDAY and me and the rest of the country were told it was a lock that the OK, Kansas, Nebraska, Iowa areas were going to blow up Saturday. It was one of the least surprising weather events ever.
    Just Sayin'

Travel Squad

Quote Originally Posted by Greatest Fan of All View Post
    Well, they did pay to see a spring game...they are owed THAT. Game should have been re-scheduled or tickets fully refunded. I suggest they quit charging for it in the future...then they can cancel it with a clear conscience.
    You aren't seriously suggesting they quit charging for something they sell 60,000 tickets for some years because it got cancelled once in however long it has been? It unfortunately isn't like baseball where it can be made up in a double header. And moving everyone indoors and "streaming it live" or even setting up the cameras so that the BTN could broadcast it at a later date is a little more difficult than just relocating to the other building. So let's pump the brakes a little bit...

I will agree that in a perfect world it could have been handled slightly better. Maybe cancelled sooner, or whatever else has been proposed. But I do think safety comes first, and that's not just for the fans. If we move it inside and a tornado happens like some were calling for (and like one that did go past Lincoln later in the day) then that would have been disastorous. Quite honestly, if that HAD happened, TO would have been fired for not putting the safety of the players first if some had gotten injured. So i'm sure those were all things calculated and he knew he would have 100 complaining out of the 60,000, and the rest would understand that the right call was made, and he can sleep just the same at night.

In summation, your non-refundable ticket was not refunded, but you are alive to complain about it on the computer. I'd say things are just fine...

Weather forecasting is not an exact science. The storm might have moved East early Sat and left Sat afternoon in Lincoln good to go with little risk. Many fans and recruits had made travel plans and were in town by Fri night or early Sat. TO waited as long as he could and made the right decision. Tornados were in Iowa, Nebraska and Kansas Sat, that pretty much surrounds Lincoln and that makes TO's decision look pretty good but you can't please everyone.
    It appears they made the best they could of the recruit visits.

Husker Fan

seriously? get over it. it was cancelled due to mother nature. Don't mess with her.

Husker Fan

Quote Originally Posted by the fountainhead View Post
    bilsker, no one is going to cancel an outdoor spring event in Nebraska the day before, you know it and I know it. The weather pattern could have changed to light rain, the storm path or timing could have changed, etc.

Im sure they made every effort possible to get the game in with recruits, family, and fans coming to Lincoln for the day.

There is simply no "correct answer" other than cancel it as soon as possible...which I assume they did.
    We can agree to disagree. I heard lots of cancellations of events on the radio starting Friday afternoon. Again, this wasn't just your average prediction of "thunderstorms". They'd been warning for a couple days of "life threatening conditions". Someone even told me that offutt "evacuated" whatever aircraft they couldn't hangar before saturday...didn't read that myself though. And by saturday morning that had not changed...it could have and should have been cancelled earlier.

As for the tickets...refunds should be given or those tickets should be good for $10 of some other ticket for some other even OR good for next year's Spring game. Most won't care...most will be lost before being redeemed...but that's not the point.

Varsity

What was handled incorrectly was that they waited so long to ditch the game. I'm glued to the weather channel and it was pretty well forcasted on Friday that Saturday was going to be a mess. And all morning they REALLY knew. Cancelling the game around game-time? C'mon. They should have cancelled it long before that...instead thousands of people wasted a lot of time and money making the trip (although THEY should have known better too).
    peeps would have complained the day before of the day of the game. You have to give it a CHANCE to happen. We were UNLUCKY. KSU/ISU , IRRC canceled saturday day also. I THINK IT WAS HANDLED CORRECTLY.

Starter
    I think it was handled correctly too. If TO wanted to play for bonus points - I think Sip's idea also has merit - admission to an August practice in the stadium (no t.v.).
    "Even hayseeds like ourselves get to put our 2 cents in now. Truthfully most of us could not coach ourselves out of a paper basket."
    ---Russian Red

Husker Fan

Quote Originally Posted by hskrncibolo View Post
    peeps would have complained the day before of the day of the game. You have to give it a CHANCE to happen. We were UNLUCKY. KSU/ISU , IRRC canceled saturday day also. I THINK IT WAS HANDLED CORRECTLY.
    How about earlier Saturday when they knew the crap was going to hit the fan? Again, the weather channel doesn't just send their "star" to eastern Nebraska the day before on a whim. This was GOING to happen. Let's say they get just enough of a window to get the game in...there's still 60,000 people hitting the highways/interstates/tail-gate parties after the game when the big stuff was again expected to hit late in the day. Again, if this was your run of the mill "hey, looks like storms tomorrow" deal I'd say give it a shot. This wasn't that.

Regardless, it sounds like NU has rectified the situation with tickets...heard on the radio they are going to let people use them as credits for next year's spring game. That solution sounds familiar...I'm guessing they heard from quite a few people that thought the baseball/softball alternative was crap. Props to NU for listening.

Varsity
    I vote for applying the ticket value to next spring's game...

i do feel especially bad for the kids who were going for free in exchange for a pledge to stay drug-free.

Scout Team
    I liked Kugler's idea on USC: Put Fan Day back on saturday and make it longer, say 9 to 11 or 9 to noon.
    There is no place like Nebraska,
    Where they're all true blue.
    We'll all stick together,
    In all kinds of weather,
    For dear old Nebraska U