Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Why do we, particularly atheists and agnostics, give deference to clergy

Travel Squad

Quote Originally Posted by Sonuvahusker View Post
    I often remind people of how the dems try to portray candidates as something other than what they are (i.e. Obama is just like Romney). The same thing happens here. Tango was potrayed as something he's not, and ended up off the board as a result. And it's happened to other posters since. What's interesting is that, like in real life, the usual culprits here are dems (or dems who claim they aren't dems).

Once again, no one attacked Luth. But many of those who this thread IS about tried to make it look that way.
    If you take my posts as defending Luth from an "attack", you're as far off-base as tango's comment that he sees the "lack of sincerity" in how agnostics/atheists treat Luth. I don't need to defend Luth, he's a big boy. But I will most definitely stand up to someone saying that my and others interactions with him are insincere. And I stated why. You'll find I was on point before tango threw that out there.

Travel Squad

I think you've completely missed the point of the thread. And that surprises me. You're one of the more adept posters around here.

Some people here are masters at taking a thread about one thing, and making it about something else because they are either uncomfortable with the topic, or they lack the cognitive ability to have an honest discussion.
    I like this verse from the desiderata:

Speak your truth quietly and clearly;
    and listen to others,
    even to the dull and the ignorant;
    they too have their story.
    Avoid loud and aggressive persons;
    they are vexatious to the spirit.

Scout Team

Quote Originally Posted by Red Crawdad View Post

and listen to others,
    In my opinion Desiterada is a great way to live ones life, following the Word of God.

Travel Squad

Quote Originally Posted by tango View Post
    Thanks for the post Squatch. So would you say, not knowing the individual, you/society gives members of the clergy deference/respect until they know what is being offered/taught?

I realize the thread is disjointed. Have you seen the Desidarata Poem. How would an agnostic apply the tenets of desiderata.

http://www.fleurdelis.com/desiderata.htm
    Not sure what you mean asking "How would an agnostic apply the tenets....." It seems to be a pretty good and general list of sound advice.

Travel Squad

In my opinion Desiterada is a great way to live ones life, following the Word of God.
    I would agree with that. I go with simple karma.

All Big 10
    Quote Originally Posted by BasilLongfellow View Post
    I got post number 1,260 coming up.

So there's that.

Too late. You haven't left time for the necessary "quiet period" prior to a milestone post like that.
    Moving on...

Welcome Coach Riley! Go Big Red!!!

Husker Fan

and listen to others,
    ​le veau d'or

Intellectual Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by Squatchsker View Post
    As far as agnostics go, it would be simple. They still dont know, so to show respect as deference to an individual that may help them come to a conclusion in their spritual path is only logical. Unless they have totally disregarded what sort of teachings that particular member of the clergy puts forth. If that be the case I can only assume it would be out of respect for the fact that said Clergyman has what the Agnostic wants. A clear and definitive spiritual path in their life.

As far as athiests, I can see where the other assertions could be correct as far as acknowledging learned individuals that are merely trying to help others. THose that may not be quite as sure of their path as a dyed in the wool athiest may be.
    Thanks for the post Squatch. So would you say, not knowing the individual, you/society gives members of the clergy deference/respect until they know what is being offered/taught?

I realize the thread is disjointed. Have you seen the Desidarata Poem. How would an agnostic apply the tenets of desiderata.

http://www.fleurdelis.com/desiderata.htm

I would say yes initially, and then in continuance even if the teachings dont include what would appeal to the Agnostic spiritually. Just as long as the teachings werent of discrimination or a place of backwards ignorance from the Agnostic's point of view. Any respectful human being might say thanks and carry on. Any deference after that would merely be from a position of humane respect and seeking of the Truth.

As far as the Desidarata Poem, I beleive a true Agnostic would take it as wisdom to use on their path until they find their answers. If it be that hey find no God, it still give useful tidbits about life. If they find that God exists for them then it is a collection of verse to soothe in times of need. Either way it can be useful. Prose is beautiful in that way, good for those seeking and those that have found.
    Life Lesson: DO NOT LET THE MAN KEEP YOU DOWN! http://forum.huskermax.com/vbbs/show...er-King-Jr-Day
    "Yeah, saw that only Larry, Moe, and Curly had chimed-in before the thread was locked. C'est la vie when the cumulative IQ of those 3 shxxxeads is something less than 200, with Squatch nailing down 3rd place. Almost not worth the keystroke time expended reporting those twits, however..."

I love fan mail.

God of Huskermax

What happens next weekend?

Antediluvian Abrasiveness
    If you take my posts as defending Luth from an "attack", you're as far off-base as tango's comment that he sees the "lack of sincerity" in how agnostics/atheists treat Luth.
    I don't.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth View Post
    Sonny once again proving that he is the biggest piece of ******** on Huskermax. Congrats on earning this title, sir.
    http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...+leaves+office

pray for me ;)
    Tango was potrayed as something he's not...

...the usual culprits here are dems (or dems who claim they aren't dems).
    Ironic. It seems only Sonuva knows how to portray people on this board.
    “Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.”

God of Huskermax

Quote Originally Posted by ColoREDo View Post
    Ironic. It seems only Sonuva knows how to portray people on this board.
    You noticed that too I see!

Oh my!
    Quote Originally Posted by RedPhoenix View Post
    Every once in a while a blind squirrel finds a nut...
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." Ayn Rand

"Hillary has been cheated on more than a blind woman playing Scrabble. With gypsies." Dennis Miller

pray for me ;)
    Quote Originally Posted by Red_in_Blue_Land View Post
    Every once in a while a blind squirrel finds a nut...
    Meaning what?
    “Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.”

Oh my!
    Quote Originally Posted by ColoREDo View Post
    Meaning what?
    Quote Originally Posted by RedPhoenix View Post
    Every broken clock is right twice a day...
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." Ayn Rand

"Hillary has been cheated on more than a blind woman playing Scrabble. With gypsies." Dennis Miller