Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What Attributes / Characteristics Make for a Great Coach

Varsity
    Quote Originally Posted by utsker View Post
    so it's integrity/character and avoiding places like Kansas and Iowa State to name a few.

You missed the point, re-read.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pops View Post
    Well look at this! it is true..when one loses one sense..in this case a sense of humor, the other senses are heightened...In this case, a sense of self importance

Varsity
    Quote Originally Posted by BGRed View Post
    Short term thinking versus long-term...same as with a workplace. Sure, he might look good and hit record sales in the short-term; but, when he embarrasses the organization, you wish you would have never hired him.

So, I guess we need to outline the responsibilities of 'great coach'. Is it purely about wins and losses? Or, does it also include representing the university and developing young men to be solid men as adults?
    Definitely. No argument here. Win/loss column defines the "coach". Everything surrounding the program defines the CEO (which is what the coach has to become to have continued success).

Example...Martinez came out as a GREAT ATHLETE is rFr year. Had immediate success. I mentioned during his first Spring Game, I would like to see him become more of a QB rather than a fast kid taking the snap from center. Obviously I got ridiculed and was called a "player basher" and other corny (no pun intended) names. But as he got more playing time under his belt, everything that I was saying I would like to see from him was being addressed from opposing defenses (SDSU, UT, aTm, etc.) He had to become a better QB rather than just a great athlete to have continual success. Same with a coach. The coaching job should be the easy part when given the athletes you desire to play for you. The CEO portion comes with the relationship, and decision making regarding the players, staff, how you recruit, development, etc.....

Only part I was answer was what it takes to be a GREAT COACH. It doesn't take a whole lot, but for the continual success, their are other attributes that this GREAT COACH has to obtain and/or learn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pops View Post
    Well look at this! it is true..when one loses one sense..in this case a sense of humor, the other senses are heightened...In this case, a sense of self importance